AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out of town for a week and when I came back, I fired up my UTV to watch some of the recorded shows. When the system powered on, it came up to the ‘My Shows’ screen, but it said I was in a Preview mode. I couldn’t get the system to show me what shows was recorded. It just kept telling me I was in a preview mode. I tried to switch to an HBO channel and got a message that said to insert a valid access card. I powered down the system, pulled the card, reinserted it and powered back up. The system came on like it normally should. When I went to check ‘My Shows’, I found that only about half had been recorded. On the forth day that I was gone, the system had stopped recording because it couldn’t see the access card. I have an RCA DWD490RE that I’ve had it for a couple of years. I upgraded the hard drive to a 120-gig drive about a month ago. I also replaced the access card a few months ago (whenever that was that they sent out the new cards).

I plan on pulling the access card out again and cleaning the contacts with IPA. Do you think this was a fluke, or should I be worried that the system is dying?

·
Registered
17,807 Posts
It happened to me once shortly after the card change. Hasn't happened again. Be careful about cleaning the contacts. Though usually safe, Isopropyl Alcohol can damage some types of electronic parts. The best method is probably to use the card itself. Pull it out an reinsert a couple of times (don't force it though) and that should be enough unless your UTV is in an especially dirty environment. The card itself should have blocked most dirt from collecting on the read head. It's not like video heads or CD lasers that are constantly exposed to the introduction of dirt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This happened to me over spring break, 2 of my UTV's had the exact same symptoms with the exact same fix, pull the card - reinsert the card. I believe this has something to do with power spikes/losses. Ive seen it discussed here before, if you want to prevent this get a cheap UPS.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Unfortunately, this seems to have happened to several of us at some point or another. Nobody seems to really know why but it does happen with both the older and newer cards (seems more common with newer cards but could just be because most of us have those now).

·
Registered
741 Posts
This happened to me once a couple of months ago and I shrugged it off since my UltimateTV has been well behaved, generally. But it happened to me again last week. I hope this doesn't turn out to be something I have to deal with every few months.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
Be careful about cleaning the contacts. Though usually safe, Isopropyl Alcohol can damage some types of electronic parts. The best method is probably to use the card itself. Pull it out an reinsert a couple of times (don't force it though) and that should be enough unless your UTV is in an especially dirty environment. The card itself should have blocked most dirt from collecting on the read head. It's not like video heads or CD lasers that are constantly exposed to the introduction of dirt.
Probably the best method to clean the contacts is to use a CLEAN pencil eraser. Don't use much pressure. The contacts are not all that thick so you don't want to wipe right through them. A very light rubbing action should clear things up nicely.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It happened to me only once as well. I'm more concerned that changing channels occasionally takes a LONG time...ie, change the channel, the banner shows the channel changes but the screen is black, or after a few seconds of being 'stuck' it skips to the next channel. NEVER happened before the new card, 95+ signal strength on both tuners...guessing the CAM gets hit for a key and for whatever reason the exchange doesn't happen right so it retries until it works...total theory, I'm not a card cracker and don't know more than the concept of how the whole thing works but it seems to be pointing to something to do with checking whether I should have the channel.

-Trouble

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by watching
Probably the best method to clean the contacts is to use a CLEAN pencil eraser. Don't use much pressure. The contacts are not all that thick so you don't want to wipe right through them. A very light rubbing action should clear things up nicely.
I cleaned the contacts with some canned Contact Cleaner that I had lying around.
Quote:
Originally posted by nomax
This happened to me over spring break, 2 of my UTV's had the exact same symptoms with the exact same fix, pull the card - reinsert the card. I believe this has something to do with power spikes/losses. Ive seen it discussed here before, if you want to prevent this get a cheap UPS.
I do have a UPS on my UTV, so it wasn't a power problem. We'll see if it comes back or not. If it does, hopefully it doesn't happen when I'm gone.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Kamikaze

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have seen this problem, and it was the card reader. It is very cheaply made, and the top (tension) is just held on with some molded plastic pins. Two pins had failed, and the card was not able to make contact.

I was able to repair it with superglue. Had to open the case (remove your card first, or it will get bent, and/or damage the card reader even more) by removing the two screws at the back, and rotate the cover forward to open (it is hinged in two slots on the front). You may have to unplug the ribbon cable (be very careful, you can tear it at the bent part). Put a little superglue under the top of the cover at the broken pin locations, and let it dry well before trying to put your card back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.