AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to post a seperate thread incase I'm positing off topic due to my ignorance.

I have a question, and this may be totally unrelated to OAR, but I'm not sure.

To set the stage: On HDNet they show the HDNet logo on the bottom right of the screen. On occasion (quite often actually), the "t" appears to be cutoff. This happens about 40-50% of my viewing of the station if I had to guess how often. The other 50-60% of the time I see the dull logo. I also notice this sometimes on Discovery HD theather (but they only flash the logo at the begining of the program). Does anyone else experience this?

I thought maybe my display was off the first time I saw this, so I went into the setup option on the Samsung HD box for centering the screen. I scrolled to the right and found that I could actually view the "t" and even a bit further. Also, I could scroll all the way to the left and there was "more picture" than what the screen was showing too.

My question is, does this relate to OAR, and why does this occur on some HD programming, but not on others?

If it matters, I have a 40XBR800 with Samsung TS160 HD box connected via DVI.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It sounds like an overscan issue, someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong. This probably belongs in the TV forum.

Brian

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Its a TV configuration issue, not a Channel issue. Its just common for TVs to be overscanned where a portion of the picture extends beyond the edges of the screen.

Someone smarter than me will explain why this is done.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisj1
This also happens on my toshiba 57h83. This must be a channel issue not a tv issue.
Yeah...no two sets would both have overscan issues... ;)

Brian

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Head on over to the TV forums and do a search on "Avia" or "DVE" or "Digital Video Essentials"...it'll be the best $30 you ever spent on your TV.

Brian

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the replys. I wasn't sure if it was a TV issue or a HDNet issue. I think I clarified that in my original post.

Although from other readings in the hardware forum, this could also be a STB issue. When the box outputs 1080i for some reason letterboxed and full picture modes look identical. This is not the case when in 720p mode though.

Now that I know this topic can be closed down.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I thought I saw that once or twice on my plasma, which does not have overscan. Maybe it is a channel problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just put in my dve disc and my overscan if fine. This could be a stb issue or a channel issue. Anybody with a hughes htl want to comment? Hdnet is 1080i where did the 720p come from??

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The key to what he said was that sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not. The bug on HDNet moves around - I have seen this as well. Could be related to source material, etc...

Chris

·
Registered
811 Posts
Maybe they move the bug around a little to avoid any complaints of burn-in. I know it's transparent and shouldn't be an issue, but we all know how HT enthusiasts like to make mountains out of molehills.

And to the OP - it's definitely an overscan issue. You might see upwards of 10% overscan on a direct view tube. With considerable effort, I was able to get mine down to under 5% on my RPTV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have a TS-160. It has a provision in the setup menus ("Monitor", I believe is the name of the function) to allow you to center the image output on your display.

I've used this to appropriately center the image from HDNet and other channels on my display. I also have more overscan than I like, but haven't taken time to address this yet.

From time to time, the TS-160 seems to forget and ignore this centering setting. I'll turn to HDNet and notice the logo is out of position. Going into the setup menus, the Monitor setting still seems to indicate that my centering selections are there, but clearly they are being ignored. Adjusting the setting by one click one way or the other spurs the TS-160 into recognizing the setting correctly and the picture jumps back into place.

You might try that...

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I think it's overscan

granted, with TS-160 and DVI you can center the raster, but with Component you cannot. On Component is when mine is slightly cutting the T off.

I also noticed on that surfing movie (something about "Hands" and "Gods" can't remember the title) at the beginning when they are showing the characters and they put their name and other 411 on the screen, it is set EXTREMELY to the edges (not normal for most movies) and my set cuts some of it off, on both sides.

I would say it is definitely overscan

This was the only example of it that royally ticked me off!

Otherwise it's not necessarily noticable, except for bugs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.