AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new to all this and need a clarification. I want to get a Samsung T151 or T165 to go with the 507 TV. I will be viewing ATT Cable (basic channels; no box) and OTA HDTV via attic antenna, but the antenna will pick up all the Dallas VHF and UHF stations whether they broadcast in HDTV or not so I wanted to be able to tune those in from the antenna to see if the quality is better than SD cable.

1. If I get the T151, will I only be able to hook up the OTA antenna to it and have to hook up cable directly to the 507 and use the 507’s tuner? If I want to tune in a non-digital OTA station directly from the antenna, would I have to loop out of the T151 to one of the the 507 antenna inputs and use the tuner on the 507?

2. On the T165, could I hook up cable AND antenna to it and tune OTA HDTV and analog TV channels from the antenna and ATT cable as well; bypassing the 507’s RF inputs all together?

I would appreciate some help!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jazzcat,

I don't know anything about the T151, but the 165 can accept antenna and cable inputs. You must do some manual switching form the 165's menu to get OTA or cable. It is not seamless. The OTA DT and Analog is seamless from the antenna no matter what the broadcast is, SDTV or HDTV.

Bill

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The SIR-T151 is a digital tuner only, so yes you would have to hook up the cable RF line directly to your TV to use its analog tuner for non-digital channels. If you wanted to watch analog channels from the antenna line, you would need to use a 2way RF splitter on the antenna line and feed it to both the '151 and the TV. However if you have basic cable, you most likely get all the local OTA analog channels from that so you don't need to use the antenna for the local analog channels.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bill. I would have to loop out of the 507 to the 151's antenna input for OTA HD and put cable into antenna B on the 507. Then go component out from the 151 to the 507 for OTA HD in.

Based on your response, the 165 would be easier to hook up and seamless for SD and HD OTA. I know that the 165 has a DVI out but I don't think it would matter much for SD cable and SD OTA TV. Are you using the DVI out? From reading through the thread on the T165 some sre just using S-video or component instead of the DVI. Guess I need to decide if it is worth $250 more for the T165!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
The SIR-T151 is a digital tuner only, so yes you would have to hook up the cable RF line directly to your TV to use its analog tuner for non-digital channels. If you wanted to watch analog channels from the antenna line, you would need to use a 2way RF splitter on the antenna line and feed it to both the '151 and the TV. However if you have basic cable, you most likely get all the local OTA analog channels from that so you don't need to use the antenna for the local analog channels.
Don, have you or anyone noticed better or worse picture quality viewing OTA analog channels vs. the same channel over basic cable?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in the dallas area. Frisco to be specific. I'm confised as to what you expect to see on the OTA analog signals that you can't view on the OTA Digital channels. All the major neworks are already broadcasting DTV. This will be your clearest picture. I have the 151 and cable tv. Trust me the digital channels will always be clearer than cable or OTA analog.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cajun, I'm the one who is still confused and learning about DTV/HD/DTV! I live in Carrollton and wasn't aware that digital TV was 24/7. I guess OTA HDTV is not 24/7 but from what you are saying DTV, whether HD or not is superior to any analog. That is good news!

What antenna are you using and is it in the attic or outside? I am 32 miles from the towers line of sight - no tall structures and was looking at a large directional like the Winegard HD7082P but not sure yet. Need to do more research.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ah ok I understand what you were asking now. Yes DTV is always on. If the program is available in HDTV they will broadcast it in that. If not they will still broadcast it on the DTV channel it will just be in 480. Most of the networks in the Dallas area even encode the black bars on the sides when showing 4:3 formats on the DTV channels.

As for my antenna I have a radio shack VU-120 XR mounted in the attic of a one-story house. It is mounted as high as I could from a dowel attached to the roof rafters. I get all digital channels and rarely have any picture breakup. You are much closer to the towers than me so your reception should be great. All I did was aim my antenna in the general direction of cedar hill. I got the radio shack one because it was cheap and figured I could take it back if I had issues. Since it worked I just kept it.

If you want DFW specific information and such check out this website. http://dhtg.napurano.com/dhtgweb/dht...n/Ultimate.cgi

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cajun, I have posted on the DHTG website some. Your antenna set-up sounds encouraging as far as reception for me is concerned. After doing more research, I will probably wind up with the T151 and stick with AT&T for now.

So you don't have issues with locking in to ch. 13 PBS?

Another question about OTA HDTV...if a program is broadcast in HD, does it fill the entire 16:9 screen?

Thanks,

jc

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cajun
Most of the networks in the Dallas area even encode the black bars on the sides when showing 4:3 formats on the DTV channels.
Is that a good or bad thing that the stations encode the black bars?

Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have never had issues with PBS (13). Even when they lowered their power to work on the tower I still had great reception. I have heard of people complaining about it on the DHTG website but I never had any. The only time I lost them is when they turned it off for a few days a while back. Who knows maybe I got lucky and happened to point my antenna exactly in the right direction.

Yes HD always fills the 16:9 screen without any stretching.

IMO unless you are looking to record HDTV programming save your money and get the 151.

As for the black bars I guess if you always watch with black bars it would not be good. If you wanted to you could always stretch the picture with your STB or TV. I would have assumed most broadcasters did this but I may be wrong. I know most in the DFW area do. I guess it would be nice if they could change the color of the bars every now and then to prevent burn in.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cajun and everyone else, thanks for all the input! I am going to get the T151. Can't wait to watch the Super Bowl in HD!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jazzcat,

The main reason I use the 165 is to be able to record OTA HDTV via its firewire interface. I do maintain a cable source since they may be adding HDTV capability soon and teh only reason I input it to the 165 was to be able to record anything I wanted from cable or OTA DT. Of course it will never handle recording of HDTV from cable. (Maybe I should not say never just yet as this depends upon the modulation scheme my cable supplier will use). I can also receive OTA using my SONY HD-100 DirecTV receiver but cannot record(yet).

The firewire was the main reason for the purchase. I don't evan use the cable source or the analog capability of the unit.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.