AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is awesome!!!

The brilliant part is that people with modern PC's can immediately watch these files, and see some of the benefits of HD. Those of us with the know-how can build HTPC's to immediately enjoy this type of "HD-DVD" (in quotes because it hasn't been blessed by the DVD forum, and probably never will).

If WM9 encoded HD DVD's look good and become reasonably popular, cheap (relative to blue laser) players will be released. Just like MPEG-4 players are being released now, but hopefully sooner because this format has the support of one of the world's largest and most powerful companies.

Historically I've been strongly anti-Microsoft. But in this case I wish them the best. Let the earliest, cheapest, best looking HD-DVD standard win, rather than whatever the studios/hw manufacturers/dvd forum decide for us! Good work Microsoft and Artisan for stepping up to the plate!

-Mani

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ManiG

This is awesome!!!

Yes it's awesome, however one has to remember that this format was designed to do a good job with lower bitrates and from what I have been reading, does not stand up to the picture quality such as standard MPEG 2 HD signals.

I would hate to think that this format (even though it's now, cheap and easy to impliment) would be the HD-DVD format that everyone will want. This format to me is an early bridge to a true DVD-HD format till it comes out such as early DTS muliti channel CDs are today with DVD-Aduio and SACD.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Let the earliest, cheapest, best looking HD-DVD standard win
I agree, this is pretty cool and I'll certainly be taking a look at it. But I have to question your above statement, given that the three seem to be at odds with one another, particularly in the "best looking" department.

If we're going to be using the HD-DVD standard for 10+ years, lets make sure that "best looking" is the primary metric, not "cheapest" or "earliest".

In any case, this should be a really good proof-of-concept for those proponents of red-laser soluctions. We'll see if it holds up to Mpeg-2 HD.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this is the HD forum and not the sound forum but as long as we are improving the picture I want movies with DVD-Audio style surround sound as well. I want to steps up, not one

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I hope somebody is able to get it off the dvd.... because I would really like to see it but I have no intention to buy yet another version of t2 for a trailer, even if it is in hd....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Carollo
I agree, this is pretty cool and I'll certainly be taking a look at it. But I have to question your above statement, given that the three seem to be at odds with one another, particularly in the "best looking" department.

If we're going to be using the HD-DVD standard for 10+ years, lets make sure that "best looking" is the primary metric, not "cheapest" or "earliest".

In any case, this should be a really good proof-of-concept for those proponents of red-laser soluctions. We'll see if it holds up to Mpeg-2 HD.
Chris,

I agree that these three things are somewhat at odds. My point was that as consumers we will have a choice between high def media that has these three elements to varying degrees. There are many other elements at play as well, such as sound quality, that I haven't mentioned. No HD DVD format will be perfect, but I'm sure you and I will have our own favorites that we'll be supporting with our wallets. Much better than having one entity tell me what manner of HD DVD media I'll be using! :)

The only disadvantage to this is that many early adopters (synonymous with "avsforum regulars") will be purchasing multiple HD DVD players. But (a) they should be used to shelling out big bucks by now, and (b) i'm sure they'll have a blast comparing the formats and tinkering with all their new gear. ;)

-Mani

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
I hope somebody is able to get it off the dvd.... because I would really like to see it but I have no intention to buy yet another version of t2 for a trailer, even if it is in hd....
Trailer!? It's the whole friggin movie!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
isnt just a trailer, is the whole movie, or why you think people using words like "awesome" . ;) :D

btw i think mpeg4 is the best solution for DVD-HD. I think in mpeg2 the picture would be more crappy. :)

- DougMan

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wonder how many people will have compatibility problems playing the regular 480i/p version of the movie on a DVD that has this WMP9 technology. Like another poster said, it isn't a DVD Forum spec.

·
Registered
440 Posts
LewisD, I could be wrong but I was assuming the WM9 file would be on a seperate disk.

If not, it still shouldnt pose a problem. Current DVD's are replete with non DVD video content, like screensavers, software DVD players, HTML documents and such. A WM9 file on the movie DVD would just be treated as any other file, i.e. ignored by your DVD player.

-Mani

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, someone check my math...

Say the movie is a full layer of the DVD (do DVD drives support files that span layers?). That's 4.7GB, or 4928307KB. Converting to bits is 39426456Kb.

The movie (according to imdb) is 137 minutes, or 8220 seconds.

Dividing the two gives 4796Kb/s. Which isn't really much more than the bitrate of a SuperBit DVD, and is less than WM9's encoder's default value for HD content.

And that's assuming it's using a full layer and isn't using the longer director's cut of the movie.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DougMan
isnt just a trailer, is the whole movie, or why you think people using words like "awesome" . ;) :D

btw i think mpeg4 is the best solution for DVD-HD. I think in mpeg2 the picture would be more crappy. :)

- DougMan
My bad... I thought this was just a trailer added on in HD... dammit now I have to spend more money I dont have ;)

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
LewisD, I could be wrong but I was assuming the WM9 file would be on a seperate disk.
If they are trying to use it as a show piece for WM9 I can't imagine they would try to cram it all on the same disk.

- Tom

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
so has anyone seen mpeg4 at higher resolutions and bit rates how does it perform?

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Don't confuse WM9's codec with MPEG-4. WM9 offers similar image quality at about 1/2 the data rate of MPEG-4 and at about 1/3 to 1/4 the data rate of MPEG 2. WM9 may be using a wavelet compression scheme since there have been technical papers published by MS engineers in recent years on their development work with wavelet video codecs. I suspect that if the full T2 is being distributed in HD then they will probably put it on two layers of one side of a disc. This allows for a data rate of about 8 MBps with is sufficent for excellent 720p results with WM9. T2 may be released using a 2 sided, dual layer disc (18 GB total capacity) to contain the std. def. video, supplemental materials and the HD video. Alternatively a 2 single sided, dual layer discs could be used. In order to play such WM9 HD files you will need as a minimum a P4 2.4GHz based PC.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This would also make all the PC makers happy, now that people have to get more powerful PC's to play HD material.

I myself will upgrade my HTPC from a 1.8 gig celeron to the latest P4 (or one speed down) if more movies come out with that resolution (I too hope for 5.1 sound as WMP9 can do it).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Carollo
Say the movie is a full layer of the DVD (do DVD drives support files that span layers?). That's 4.7GB, or 4928307KB. Converting to bits is 39426456Kb.
Um, I may be wrong but I don't think the DVD Forum uses 1024 bytes for 1KB. They use 1000 bytes instead. So the "4.7GB" capacity of a dvd5 disc has only 47000000000 bytes, and that's why when you burn a blank dvd disc on your computer it'll give you a capacity of around 4.3GB based off the 1024 bytes for 1KB.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hey Guys.

Not that I am against any format out there. I work in the special effects industry and we use difrent formats all the time.

And if I remember correctly divx was up against Mpeg-2 before and it lost becasue of picture quality.

Now that Hd is coming to play you would think the bigger file would be the better quality, So in my opnion and from what I have seen Mpeg-2 is alot better quality than divx or wm9. and from what I heard wm9 is more for streaming hd over the net.

But I still think its cool that its on the dvd.

But I think blu-ray will be the chosen one

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.