Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the PR:

ere are the complete, and final, specs for the upcoming T2: Extreme Edition

# 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer digitally mastered from a brand-new 1080p, 24sf high-definition digital telecine transfer.

# Dolby Digital 5.1 EX audio.

# Dolby headphone audio track

# All-new audio commentary by James Cameron and co-screenwriter William Wisher.

# Extreme interactive mode with graphic commentary and behind-the-scenes footage

# 16 minutes of additional scenes.

# "No Feat But What We Make": an all-new documentary.

# "T2: On the Set" retrospective montage
# "T2: High Definition": the complete theatrical version of the film in Microsoft Windows Media 9 series, playable in high resolution and 5.1 sound directly from your PC

# Infiltration Unit Simulator and T2 FX Studio: morph your imported images into a T-1000 or T-800 Terminator

# Skynet Combat Chassis Designer: Construct and field-test your own ultimate fighting machine and track your progress online

# THX optimizer

# Metal collectible sculpture embossed package

Pinch me...I am dreaming...

·
Registered
570 Posts
One of my favorite movies of all time... and yet another edition to buy (I have the Ultimate Edition now). Guess the Ultimate edition wasn't the ultimate, huh? False advertising!

RDaneel

·
Registered
91 Posts
When dealing in editions Extreme is better than Ultimate :D I thought everyone knew that :p

;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the 1080p/24 comment refers to the source.

What I want to know is how WM9 will display 1080i? Or are they planning it to be 540p and 720p?

I guess we'll see...

·
Registered
570 Posts
So let me get this straight: no discrete audio, unless you have something like a Revo hooked up to a 6 channel analog out into a pre/pro with 6 channel inputs, and the thing takes a 2.6ghz P4 to decode high bitrate WMV9 video? Holy Crap!

Even if I hook up my Revo to my receiver with 6 channel analog, I don't have a processor in the HTPC that can decode that thing! The only machine I will have with that chip won't have the Revo in it, so I think I am SOL. Oh well, dream deferred. Guess I will have to wait for HD-DVD or Blu Ray or something...

RDaneel

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
How is anyone gonna play this file? I can just barely play the 720p WM9 clips from the MS site on my athlon 1900XP. My htpc with 1.2ghz duron just dies on those clips.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alric,

The 1080p comment is in reference to the disk itself. It is not advertised yet what the WM9 version will be. It just says high definition. But an insiders view on the thread that I linked to says that it will be 1080p/24.

WM9 will allow you to show it at whatever resolution your monitor or display will allow. I know my monitor can do 1080p.

hgodwin

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RDaneel
So let me get this straight: no discrete audio, unless you have something like a Revo hooked up to a 6 channel analog out into a pre/pro with 6 channel inputs, and the thing takes a 2.6ghz P4 to decode high bitrate WMV9 video? Holy Crap!

Even if I hook up my Revo to my receiver with 6 channel analog, I don't have a processor in the HTPC that can decode that thing! The only machine I will have with that chip won't have the Revo in it, so I think I am SOL. Oh well, dream deferred. Guess I will have to wait for HD-DVD or Blu Ray or something...

RDaneel
RDaneel,

I have read that the actual specs say that one needs a 3.0 ghz processor to full process the disk. Fortunately, the next gen video cards will be able to offload some of the necessary processing and allow one to use a slower processor. Cards such as the upcoming S3 Deltachrome should be able to do this for close to 100 dollars if not less. So all hope is not lost yet.

hgodwin

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hgodwin
RDaneel,

I have read that the actual specs say that one needs a 3.0 ghz processor to full process the disk. Fortunately, the next gen video cards will be able to offload some of the necessary processing and allow one to use a slower processor. Cards such as the upcoming S3 Deltachrome should be able to do this for close to 100 dollars if not less. So all hope is not lost yet.

hgodwin
Actually, in one of the past posts opn this subject (ther is one in the software section and one in this forum) a guy involved in the project (whos name I can't remember) said the resolution was on the order of 720p. He also said that if the step into liquid demo worked on your PC then this would work because they made it so a lower end system than the ones that could handle the demo could handle this WM9 material. There werre plenty of people, as I recall, with less than 2.4GHz CPUs running the liquid demo just fine. I ran it on my 3.0GHz HT CPU perfectly. Check out the demo. If it works for you then don't sweat it (also try setting the priority on WM9 to realtime in task manager if there are any stuttrers).

I am looking forward to running this on my 2.0GHz HTPC.

FREAK!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well the same treatment is being given to 'In the Shadow of Motown' and its 'HD' content is 576x1024... this is basically similar to PAL wide and very questionable 'HD' terminology... Better to simply say Higher than DVD !!

I have asked a couple of times what the rez of this release will be and the question has been left unanswered... Draw your own conclusions if any...

I am happy to see WMP9 move into the arena as they have the ability to steal the HD DVD market while the DVD consortium bicker about protection measures... That said without AR control in WMP9 its useless in my HT...

·
Registered
201 Posts
metallicafreak,

I have read a lot of posts on the Shadows of Motown and the T2 and it seems that you are referring to the Shadows of Motown release. It is not given the full treatment due to it being comprised of a lot of lower res material that could not benefit. The T2 is supposed to be Full 1080p.

hgodwin

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is MS or Artisan quoting a 3GHz requirement, or are people just assuming that it will be 1080p and thus assuming a ~3GHz minimum?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I firmly believe people are confusing the 1080p mastering with the WMP9 'HD'... If it is 1080p I will eat crow...

There is no way on gods earth MS are going to release a title that can only be played on 3Ghz machines... This will likely be a 720p or less version...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I hope AT LEAST 720p.....

Nicholas

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Of course so do I... However the Shadows of Motown sets a bad prescident with 1024x576 :( !!!

I am happy its moving this way for PC based playback just wary of it being a 'for the masses' solution rather than for the quality freaks...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hgodwin
metallicafreak,

I have read a lot of posts on the Shadows of Motown and the T2 and it seems that you are referring to the Shadows of Motown release. It is not given the full treatment due to it being comprised of a lot of lower res material that could not benefit. The T2 is supposed to be Full 1080p.

hgodwin
I looked back through the posts and you are right, I was confused. I agree with Phat Phreddy. It would be nuts to put out something that needs such a high powered PC to play.

FREAK!

1 - 20 of 349 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.