AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I hooked my PC to my XG135LC and watched the Terminator 2 Extreme HD movie. It played perfectly, without a glitch and it looked fantastic on my 123" screen at 1280 x 960p. If my video card had the capability to display 1920 x 1080, I would have played it at that resolution. My computer is an HP with a 2.8 P4 chip. Nothing has been done to tweak it for HT use. I did download Windows Media Player Series 9 and Directx 9 which you need to play the HD movie. I couldn't run the sound into my A/V receiver so I had to listen to the PC's speakers.

If this is a preview of what can be expected with HD DVDs, then I can not wait until they are available. The HD resolution works beautifully with the large screen.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of when we can expect another mainstream movie title in WMV9 HD?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ttriplett
Does anyone have an idea of when we can expect another mainstream movie title in WMV9 HD?
I believe T3 is the next one.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
What software were you able to watch the movie with?

We tried watching the movie last night and were only able to watch it with the software (Interactual) that came on the DVD. We tried WinDVD and Windows Media 9 and no luck.... Also the sound was terrible on the HD version compared to the DVD version. Was that also your experience? The receiver only received a stereo signal for the HD movie while the DVD got a true 5.1 surround signal.

Unfortunately, our experience with the HD version in terms of video was underwhelming to say the least. On the Z1 on which we saw it, we saw maybe a 10% improvement if that....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
edward132,

There is a large T2 thread somewhere here had the steps for using Windows Media 9 instead of the Interactual player.

As far as your receiver, it sounds like you perhaps have your htpc audio hooked with S/PDIF instead of the analogs. To get true 5.1 from the HD version you need to connect your audio card's analog connectors since S/PDIF is for 2ch PCM or DD/DTS, and even if WMA Pro audio carried over the S/PDIF you would still need a WMA Pro decoder on the other end for decoding the audio.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherbona
edward132,

There is a large T2 thread somewhere here had the steps for using Windows Media 9 instead of the Interactual player.

As far as your receiver, it sounds like you perhaps have your htpc audio hooked with S/PDIF instead of the analogs. To get true 5.1 from the HD version you need to connect your audio card's analog connectors since S/PDIF is for 2ch PCM or DD/DTS, and even if WMA Pro audio carried over the S/PDIF you would still need a WMA Pro decoder on the other end for decoding the audio.

That's correct. We do have only the S/PDIF hooked up into the receiver. Why wouldn't 5.1 surround work with the S/PDIF port? Why would you need to hook up analog and digital? Does hooking up the analog also improve the sound for other things as well?? I am wondering if there is anything else I am missing out on..........

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Because the 5.1 from the HD version uses WMA Pro, not DD, and your receiver cannot decode WMA pro.

As for video quality you will need something that can truly display 1440 X 1080 or close to it. What is the Z1 you are referring to and what is it's native resolution?

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,467 Posts
Quote:
Because the 5.1 from the HD version uses WMA Pro, not DD, and your receiver cannot decode WMA pro.
Yes, and this is a sore spot for a lot of us. Please read the big Coral Reef Adventure thread for more discussion on this.

In brief, WMA has not yet established itself as a basic codec that is included in most receivers. Your options are:

1. Decode the WMA audio using WM9, use a 5.1 analog soundcard, and feed the analog outputs to your 5.1 analog input of your receiver - definitely not the best way to do things.

2. Use an Nforce motherboard to reencode in DD 5.1 and then send via S/PDIF to your receiver - decoding and then reencoding...I don't like that idea either, but maybe it is better in real life than it sounds on paper.

3. Use S/PDIF from your soundcard anyway. You will only get stereo, but hey, that's the price you will need to pay to enjoy this new HD video format without jumping through hoops.

I have been pleading with Microsoft to at least include a DD 5.1 soundtrack on all future titles so that the vast majority of us can play back the WM9 titles in full 5.1, but it is yet to be determined whether MS will honor the request.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel

2. Use an Nforce motherboard to reencode in DD 5.1 and then send via S/PDIF to your receiver - decoding and then reencoding...I don't like that idea either, but maybe it is better in real life than it sounds on paper.
Why Nforce?

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,467 Posts
Quote:
Why Nforce?
Because Nforce has a Dolby encoder in hardware built into the motherboard. It can do "on the fly" DD 5.1 encoding, so it takes the decoded WMA and encodes it in DD 5.1, and then sends it out via S/PDIF to your receiver. It is the only hardware DD encoder that I know of.

Quote:
4. Use S/PDIF and send the WMA Pro flow to this receiver
Yep, WMA decoders are starting to show up in receivers, but those are but a handful out of the millions of receivers and pre/pros that are already in existence. So yes, you are correct, the 4th choice is to run out and buy a new receiver!

·
Registered
285 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because Nforce has a Dolby encoder in hardware built into the motherboard. It can do "on the fly" DD 5.1 encoding, so it takes the decoded WMA and encodes it in DD 5.1, and then sends it out via S/PDIF to your receiver. It is the only hardware DD encoder that I know of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifically an nForce2 mobo. I think I read somewhere that the new nForce3's don't yet have this feature.

Also, does anyone know if the nForce2 mobo has to be "SoundStorm certified" for this to work? I haven't tried this yet because my T2 Extreme copy is still "on the way". I do have an nForce2 mobo but it has a C-Media sound controller rather than the SoundStorm (also many nForce2's have Realtek controllers). I hope it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Actually, the feature you need on the motherboard to do dolby digital encoding is a MCP-T southbridge. It is available on SOME nForce and nForce2 motherboards. Another way to tell if this capability is present, is if the motherboard claims to be "Sound Storm" compliant, though "Sound Storm" is not required for this feature to be present.

DanW

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thanks for all your help regarding the T2 audio comments. It sounds like Microsoft is at it again with proprietary "microsoft only" attitude .............

I am definately not going to buy a new motherboard to just run one movie.....

Curious though... Is the sound any better with the "Microsoft way" as opposed to traditional 5.1 surround sound setup?? I know this is all opinions but curious to hear what everybody has to say.....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
How do you digitally send WMA Pro to the mentioned receiver (or any preamp, etc. that supports WMA Pro)? Via S/PDIF or what? I don't recall seeing a way to do this as of yet. If we can do this via S/PDIF, then I will beg and plead Anthem to add it to the AVM20.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Currently there is no pre/pro that can decode the WMA Pro bitstream in the market. You might see some with that feature by the end of this year (or mid, or whenever).

People have been using Nforce-chipset motherboards to re-encode the audio into Dolby Digital.

Hong.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yes, I know about the Nforce. That is how I do it. My question is regarding the method of sending the "WMA Pro" bitstream, regardless of whether or not there is anything out that can decode it. I am wondering if there is a way to send the bitstream in native WMA Pro format.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have seen the WMA Pro signal via SPDIF on my Audigy card to the Pioneer at our local HT store. It works OK, but didn't sound any different to the setup they had there running the same thing via DD with an nforce board

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.