AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that we are getting settled in the new house i am going to start the HT soon - given that i do not have a lot of projects besides the ht and maybe a kids play house which saw would serve me best - i know both have their main function but i want to most versatile tool without the expense of both - i have not used a table or miter before - will be building the stage riser and panels so the board length will vary - or is this something that will will have to have both of to make it happen?

any thoughts?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,156 Posts
You can actually do a lot of building with a hand held circular saw and some DIY saw guides and a speed square. If you are thinking about curves in your project like a rounded stage front you need a Jig saw.

But once you use a Table and Circular saw you will wonder how you could do anything without them.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Bigmouth has a great point with the Circular saw. I would say out of the two I would pick the Miter saw and buy a cheap hand held circular saw to do all the long straight cuts you're not able to do with the miter. I am also judging this from what I have experienced with my build (a lot of trim). I bought a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw (I definitely suggest 12"), its been great I also used a Rigid portable table saw that helped out a lot.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
It is kinda like trying to choose between a BBQ grill and a toaster oven. They kinda do the same thing, but not really.

A miter is GREAT for cutting 2x4's to length or similar things. But worthless to rip wood. Conversely, a table saw is a bear to use to cut 2x4's to length, but great for ripping.

For what you're talking about, I agree with the fellows above that a miter and a circular would probably be about right.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Miter saws are far more versatile. I'd go with that.

Don't bother with a sliding saw though. Use the money you save to buy a decent circular saw, and that should cover 99% of the cutting you'd have to do.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info I already have a circular saw and am about to add a jigsaw for some other projects as well as the stage. now I plan on getting the miter saw is there a reason to go with the 12 inch over the 10 inch.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would recommend the miter saw also.

10" vs 12" depends on the thickness of the material you intend to cut.

Personally I have the 10" Bosch sliding compound miter saw and love it.

To date I have not had any problems with to thick of material that could not be overcome by flipping the board.

The slide on the saw allows me to cut up to 12" wide boards

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason  /t/1522014/tabel-saw-or-miter-if-you-had-to-choose#post_24493758

thanks for all the info I already have a circular saw and am about to add a jigsaw for some other projects as well as the stage. now I plan on getting the miter saw is there a reason to go with the 12 inch over the 10 inch.

The cost difference isn't worth short changing yourself if you're looking at a non-sliding model. You'll be able to cut a little wider board with a 12" and definitely taller should the need arise. It also helps with making wider cuts at 45 degrees. If all you'll ever cut is small trim, I'm not sure how often that will come into play. Where I've noticed it most is cutting 6x6s or newel posts. It's nice to not have to flip your work over. However....

You're comparing 2 different tools that can have wildly varying price points. I'm not sure what fits in your budget but will echo what Waterboy says with the sliding saw. I used to have a 10" radial arm and a 12" compound miter saw. I sold both and bought a DeWalt 12" sliding compound miter saw 13 years ago. Out of all the saws I have, it definitely gets the most use and it still runs strong. Yes, it's more expensive but worth every penny in my book. Bosch and DeWalt both make good options but are a little pricy. I have no idea about the quality of a Harbor Freight model but they are much cheaper and you'll have to factor in how often you'd use it. Anyone with experience with the HF model could maybe chime in?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Buy a good sliding miter saw. This will be a lifetime investment. Buy a cheap saw just for the HT project and you will soon be buying another saw.

Point is don't cheap out on power tools. Many of us have learned that the hard way.

P.S. stay away from Harbor Freight for a purchase like this. Their tool quality is rather poor. Buy a name brand like suggested above.

·
Registered
389 Posts
fwiw, I own a 10" harbor freight miter saw. I trimmed my entire house with it, and I've done a lot of other basic construction projects with it over the past 8 years. It works fine. I'm sure I could've done all of my work a lot faster with a better saw, but in the end....it's the user, not the saw.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can look at pawn shops, craigslist and thrift shops for tools. The tool I use most I got from a pawn shop. Another tool that went out after 15+ years got replaced at the pawn shop down the road from me. I replaced my old circular saw for a nearly new circular saw. They offer 7 day returns and I use them pretty good in that time to discover if there is a problem. The only thing I had to return for trade was an air compressor that would not get up to operating pressure. I am amazed how much I use my air compressor and finish nailers around the house. Just finished building my IB sub manifold using the nailers. Anyway don't overlook getting some pretty good like new items from these sources. With return times you can see if the item is going to need to be returned or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts