AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the annoyingly designed space of my home, and the fact that we bought a decently expensive AV stand (BellO), AND a cubby hole constraint of about 58 inches wall to wall width...I have a need for a table top TV. We sit about 10-12 feet away from our current set (a 32" Toshiba CRT direct view). The BellO stand can hold quite a bit of weight I assume, since it seems to be designed for somethign larger than my 32, and probably can hold the Monster 40" SONY wega TUBE set. HAving said that, I assume I can put a rather large set (58" wide in cabinet dimension being about the limit, and even then I would not be able to get behind it) on it, but have a problem with height. If we don't get a table top design the picture of a CRT RP will be way up in the air compared to it's optimum viewing height...correct???

So, after having looked at the HLM507, and GWII Sony...I have come to the conclusion that those are more or less my best bets. BUT they are not cheap by my standards, and I would be open to just about any alternative if there are any. Am I missing some sets that might fit my criteria? DLP, LCD, CRT doesn't matter...just picture quality, picture and cabinet size, and price are important. Meaning no plasmas, unless you want yo be a kind fellow and give me some cash. That way you too can live vicariously through my spending. ;)

Can anyone suggest some alternatives to the Sammy 507 and the Sony GWII? Why?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone have some ideas... or am I stuck with the 507 or GW II?

\\

edit: forgot to mention...the sole purpose of this TV is to watch DVDs and play games. We watch whatever Signal comes in off rabbit ears so you can tell how much I care about broadcast quality at this time. :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check into the 42 inch Mitsubishi tabletop CRT RPTV. Looks awesome, and can be had for around $1800-$1900. I was considering both that set and the Toshiba 42HDX82. I went with the Toshiba because it's less than 19 inches deep, but it's not a tabletop like the Mits. I'm not exactly sure of the model number but go here:
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/

and look at the WT-42311.

I think that's it.

Andy

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will the burn in be a problem with games? I loved the 507's sharpness and the obvious benefits of the DLP, but I did notice the rainbow effect...although only when looking away. Kind of subliminal...weird.

Is there anything closer to 50"? I will consider and hopefully see some of your suggestions soon, but obviously bigger is better. Who wouldn't think so? ;)

The Mitsu is ugly unfortunately...I hate to be a snob about the LOOKS of the set itself...but it does matter overall. How much it matters is yet to be determined. That grill look doesn't do much for the aesthtics of our room... :p hate this to be a factor...

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I recently got a chance to see the Mits...and boy is the cabinet UGGGLLY. I can no longer recommend Mits in the size range. (1)Hitachi 43" and (2)Toshiba 42" are my new frontrunners. A coworker just got the Toshiba, I will be checking it out (and probably tweaking a bit) it soon. Money no object. The Sony XBR direct views look fantastic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.