AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct place for ths or not. I have an older tablet laptop which requires a stylus to use the screen but thought it might be handy to mount under our cabinet in the kitchen. Couple of things I would like it to do:

1. Find an application optimized for this medium and to allow for the below as well.

2. Play our HDHomeRun TV Broadcast. Don't know if i can use the the tv app provided by HDHomerun or if there is another that would work here.

3. Access the internet for my wife's receipes

4. I have a windows home server and am trying to find a calendar type application but to be able to reference a calendar yet to be determined.

5. etc

Anyone know someone doing something similar or an interface one can download. I have windows 7 on this machine currently but still own the xp license that came with it as well so could roll it back to that if needed.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This will work and here are some thoughts I had without fully reading this:

1. Find an application optimized for this medium and to allow for the below as well.

- There are some however the skin is what will determine if it is "touchscreen" friendly. Check out MediaPortal (and their TV Server), XBMC

2. Play our HDHomeRun TV Broadcast. Don't know if i can use the the tv app provided by HDHomerun or if there is another that would work here.

- The above would do this.....

3. Access the internet for my wife's receipes

- Not a problem. A small wireless keyboard would be cool. (small being a key word for WAF)

4. I have a windows home server and am trying to find a calendar type application but to be able to reference a calendar yet to be determined.

- Why not use Google calendar?

5. etc

- hhhhmmmmmm.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by the skin will determine if it is touchscreen friendly? I can't use my fingers to navigate around I know that much. I have to use the stylus. Is that what you mean by touchscreen friendly?

Within MediaPortal is there a web interface for my wife to get to allrecipes.com lets say. Ideally I would like to use the same interface if possible to do everything.

I think you are right in that mediaportal will work with the HDHomerun to be able to watch TV. Just the web part and if i can get an onscreen keyboard to work possibly for her to use the stylus for now to enter here recipes and such.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While you have to use the stylus some skins do not include back buttons and others that are required since they expect you to use a remote control. The finger has nothing to do with it.

I believe, it has been too long, that the standard skin in Media Portal does include everything you would need to operate it as a stand alone unit.

I use XBMC but I am not using a TV tuner and I use a remote to control the application.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Just FYI, asking in the Home Theater Computers forum will likely open your question up to a lot more people that can give advice.

-Suntan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again to the both of you for the replies.

Suntan, to get the thread over the computers section should i simply copy and paste it or what is the correct process?

·
Registered
7,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bline22 /forum/post/18188608

Thanks again to the both of you for the replies.

Suntan, to get the thread over the computers section should i simply copy and paste it or what is the correct process?

That would be the easiest, to just start a new thread over there.

Or send a moderator a PM and ask them to move this one over there.

-Suntan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts