AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In chronological order here is an account of my experience after purchasing a Tact 2150 XDM amplifier:

1) Directly out of box the amp is defective. The standby function didn't work and, when I contact Boz (the company owner), he informs me that this is probably a defect in the controller board. He promises to ship to me a replacement board immediately.

2) A month passes and, when I inquire, I find out the board hasn't even been shipped.

3) When the board does arrive it is the WRONG one.

4) I wait another few weeks before the correct board finally arrives (we are now up to six weeks). The replacement turns out to be defective as well (but with a different problem). This time the front panel stops responding to commands a few minutes after each power up (powering down is the only way to reset).

5) While I've been patient up to this point, I'm starting to get concerned about the support and integrity of the company so I request a refund. This is refused by both Tact and the dealer (Jeff Stake).

6) I am forced to pay for shipping back to the company for repair.

7) Despite Boz's promise that this problem will be looked after immediately the amp isn't returned for a month.

8) When the amp does arrive it is COD and I have to shell out another $80 to UPS. While this is beyond outrageous it gets worse... much worse.

9) Upon opening the box I discover that the amp had been dropped or terribly mishandled in some way. ONE CORNER OF THE ALUMINUM FRONT PANEL HAD BEEN BADLY DAMAGED. Even though this kind of damage is completely impossible to do during shipment Boz lies and claims that the amp was received in damaged condition.

*The damage could not have occurred during shipment because each corner of the amp encased in 2" of very thick heavy plastic foam that would be impossible to penetrate even with a hammer.

Click on the link for a picture of the damage: http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/235/img9781zw5.jpg

10) When I attempt to take measurements I get bizarre and completely unacceptable readings and am forced to reload the firmware myself before the amp even functions. (I still worry that the screetching that the amp produced may have damaged my high end speakers)

11) To add final insult to injury it turns out that initial defect (where the standby function does not work) has NOT even been corrected.

12) In frustration I posted an account of the above events on the Audio Asylum website at:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...re&r=&session=

The resulting outrage stirred up amongst the audiophile community "appeared" to shame Tact into promising to replace the amp. They made the following public pledge on the Audio Asylum site through their Aberdeen Components sales rep (Anthony Padilla):
"I will personally check the (new) amp over and test its many functions, and condition. Then I will send Gerry his new amp. Upon Gerry approval of his New amp, he will send back the damage/broken amp back to TacT audio. All shipping will be on Tact’s tab."

( That post can be found at: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...Tact+nightmare )

13) They kept me dangling with promises for another month while the furor died down and then reneged on the promise. No replacement amp was ever delivered.

14) I am now stuck with a $3000 defective and damaged amp that I can't resell.

Suffice to say that I will NEVER do business with Tact USA again and I would caution any new buyers that it appears that this company has deteriorated to a point bordering on criminal.

Ps Here's a link to Tact that might help Google bring up this page when someone tries to search the company: http://www.tactaudio.com/

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sorry to hear about your headaches. I am glad in these days that you have somewhat of a public place to voice this situation, imagine 15 years ago if this happened...

If all your details really do line up (two sides to every story) i'd probably try one of the "on your side" local news casts etc

·
Registered
197 Posts
Read through the other thread at audio asylum and the latest posts are over two months old. Wondering if any action's been taken from either side since then?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There have been no further developments. The company reneged on the public "promise" they were shamed into making after I posted on the Audio Asylum site. To make up for all the hassle I had been through they had promised to send me a new amp for inspection prior to sending back my damaged one but once the furor at the Audio Asylum site subsided they reneged and demanded that I send my defective amp back first. In addition to the fact that though they have already refused (in writing) to accept responsibility for the physical damage they did, that means putting up with another few months of being jerked around . After repeated broken promises and lies I no longer trust anything this company says and, after months of misery, I think I am better off holding on to to an amp that partially functions rather than doing without a sound system for god knows how long and risking the very real possibility of getting the amp back in even worse condition.

As for there being two sides to the story the reason I posted a link to the Audio Asylum thread is so that people could read for themselves Tact's "side" of the story. It didn't fly at Audio Asylum and they were immediately ridiculed for trying to blame the whole sorry episode on a difficult and unreasonable customer. As for any other recourse besides this type of post, my hands are tied. I am an international customer in Canada and have virtually no legal remedies available to me. That is probably why they think can get away with this.

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:
The company reneged on their public "promise" to send me a new amp for inspection prior to sending back my damaged one.

Sounds like a great company. Sounds like they have that high end snob factor that their product could never fail and it could never be their fault.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor /forum/post/14187628

Sounds like they have that high end snob factor that their product could never fail and it could never be their fault.

Actually, snob factor has absolutely nothing to do with it. The current company is in complete disarray. When they originally started out their products were fine and I was quite happy with the first room correction processor I purchased from them. It was only recently, after deciding to purchase a second product, that I discovered that the company appears to be on the skids. The original company partners have split up and the North American factory seems to have deteriorated significantly. Quality control and customer service are now maintained at absolute minimal levels. What is even worse it that, once they have your money, the company seems to think you are at their mercy to accept whatever crap they decide to pass off as product or service. To add insult to injury they were VERY angry when I went public and seem to believe that, by succumbing to the public outrage at Audio Asylum, they were giving in to some kind of "black mail". That is probably why they went back on their word once things cooled off at Audio Asylum. They have a seriously distorted view of how business should be conducted and appear to see the customer as more of a "mark" than as a client.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
You might want to join the Tact User Group at Yahoo and tell of your experience. I'd think the shame factor might carry more weight there.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
When they split, the American company was continued by the engineer (Boz) and the European company was continued by the businessman (Peter). Each is very good at his particular job.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever seen a participant on one of those "real life" courtroom shows who is clearly lying and cheating yet seems to actually believe that it is their "right" to take advantage of others? Until dealing with owner of this company I always thought those people were simply too absurd to be real. I no longer believe that my situation can be resolved and my only purpose is to warn other potential customers.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Way back in the day, I suggested to Peter Lyngdorf on the TacT forum that they should license their RCS technology to other manufacturers and forget trying to be a boutique manufacturer. If only.... just look at how Audyssey has done with a few people in their office and no manufacturing costs/headeaches. With Boz writing the software and Peter selling the product, they'd both be billionaires and we'd all have TacT RCS on our $499 receivers.

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:
Actually, snob factor has absolutely nothing to do with it. The current company is in complete disarray. When they originally started out their products were fine and I was quite happy with the first room correction processor I purchased from them. It was only recently, after deciding to purchase a second product, that I discovered that the company appears to be on the skids. The original company partners have split up and the North American factory seems to have deteriorated significantly. Quality control and customer service are now maintained at absolute minimal levels. What is even worse it that, once they have your money, the company seems to think you are at their mercy to accept whatever crap they decide to pass off as product or service. To add insult to injury they were VERY angry when I went public and seem to believe that, by succumbing to the public outrage at Audio Asylum, they were giving in to some kind of "black mail". That is probably why they went back on their word once things cooled off at Audio Asylum. They have a seriously distorted view of how business should be conducted and appear to see the customer as more of a "mark" than as a client.

Keep on them, is their any legal way you can go after them in a court of law?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, from outside the US (I'm in Canada) there is little I can do. Even if I could take them to court I don't know how I can prove that they smashed up the faceplate. As for fixing the malfunction, considering the "service" I've gotten so far, I'm sure they would just go through the motions to satisfy the court while dicking me around for a few more months while I live without a sound system. The reality is that, when it comes to service, there is a certain amount of goodwill required on the part of the manufacturer and if they can't be bothered or want to make your life hell they know there's not much you can do about it.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Methinks he's entitled to vent...and to make sure the word gets out to potential buyers wherever they might be about Tact's devious/non-existent customer service. These threads get buried so quickly precisely because of low ownership here. I think he's performing a service no matter the motivation.

$3000 is a hell of a lot of 'time to move on'.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/14196480

He's entitled to vent...and to make sure the word gets out to potential buyers wherever they might be about Tact's devious/non-existent customer service. $3000 is a hell of a lot of 'time to move on'.

Vent away. How many threads do you think we need to "get it all out"?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Until the company does the right thing by him I think the OP has the right to continue bashing them anywhere and everywhere he can. It is the only leverage he has. If they want it to stop they have it in their power to make it happen.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/14197197

Until the company does the right thing by him I think the OP has the right to continue bashing them anywhere and everywhere he can.

Ad infinitum?

·
Registered
645 Posts
So how is Tact related to Lyngdorf? Are the products the same? Some background info would be interesting.

Till

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till /forum/post/14201184

So how is Tact related to Lyngdorf? Are the products the same? Some background info would be interesting.

Till

As Kal indicated, they used to be one in the same, Boz and Peter Lyngdorf. I believe there was a sizable falling out between them, and they split. Now there is Tact and there is Lyngdorf. From this post, it would seem that Boz doesn't know much about running a business/customer service and based on the fact that Lyngdorf recently puked on its commitment to deliver an A/V processor, I suspect Lyngdorf is lacking in the tech dept.

As one who has been kicking a Tact item around as a possibility, there is just zero change of it now. Too many good manufacturer that don't pull this crap, to justify the risk.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
I don't know how I can prove that they smashed up the faceplate.

Maybe they didn't. Maybe the shipping company did it when you sent it to them, in which case it would be your responsibility as the shipper. Shipping companies smash things all the time, repair shops rarely do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts