AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Your Excellence :)

I am biased, of course, and I did research Tact at one point because of this very question. As I recall, DEQX can do far steeper crossovers and can do better driver EQ. Comparitively, Tact is somewhat limited. There have been several comparison threads at www.audiocircle.com where DEQX and Tact are far more popular. I am thinking of how to fit DEQX into a car, trust me. Total overkill? Sure :) So far, though, DEQX is at the top of the hill.

At Audio Circle, there are, surprisingly, many, many more digital users, so you might want to check it out there for more diverse opinion.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've owned both two channel and theater multichannel tact units.

Found the two channel unit didn't improve the room enough vis-a-vis what was lost. It was more precise, but, lost some of the air and sparkle. The room was very good to begin with -- professionally designed with extensive acoustic treatment -- so perhaps not a fair test.

The multichannel system, in a far from optimum room, was terrific. Sound quality really improved. However, the unit was buggy, unstable, and could never be made to work reliably under 232 control. I left Tact for simple reason: even as a former computer science professional, I couldn't make the useability trade off make sense vis-a-vis the performance of the unit. I now use Behringer Ultra units: not as good sonically, but only by a little bit, and completely stable and user friendly.

All a long way of saying: at the bleeding edge of digital room eq, system stability counts (nearly) as much as raw performance; if you can't turn it on and have it work, it doesn't matter what it's theoretical performance is.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellence
What about in car usage?
I have heard the Deqx in a car situation! It did the job it was suppose to but in the power conversion from 120 volts to 12 volts, a very audible hum was introduced that we could not eliminate. The system sounded great at loud volumes but the hum was irritating! If you can get a workable 12 volt model, the deqx will be hard to beat. It is so easy to use, especially when you hook up to a laptop computer.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Damn. Someone beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
There is also Audessey (sp?) that does the same thing as the TacT and DeQX.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
oh yeah. the car guys are all over that one. have been since it came out. Rane, lake, etc..all have been and are in competition cars. DEQX for cars is definitely a doable thing. One would have to do a proper job, though. It should be easy, as the DEQX is a true ground system, as is that of a car audio system. If it is still seen as an issue (likely due to installation incompetence), one can use what I just bought to wire up the inputs of my DCX2496 Digital crossover from balanced to single ended..to replace all the input/output circuitry: a 8 channel transformer isolation box, 5Hz-90Khz transformers. Seems to be working well, just did a operational wiring test..uhm.. right now, to be truthful. 5 minutes ago. Listening now...

These days, one can go 'pro' all the way, with balanced connections thrughout the entire car system, with off the shelf car audio gear. Just add DEQX...measure from listening seat..adjust as nessessary..and WOW! Holy sweaty batsocks Batman!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They are all very different systems. Tact is aimed towards room correction with some sub crossovers thrown in, while DEQX is more crossover-oriented (ie. for turning your speakers into active speakers and for correcting deficiencies in your speakers) with room correction a possibility. It's not clear to me yet that Audyssey is in the same ballpark as these two systems.

The other thing to remember with these systems, and this becomes obvious once you try to use the Tact system, is that the measurement and meaurement interpretation is probably the most important part of any of these kinds of systems. To be able to properly measure whatever it is you're trying to correct, and then have the knowledge and experience to interpret the measurement, and use the system correctly is vital to the success of these systems. Often, the way these systems are promoted is equivalent to someone handing you a bunch of wood, high quality drivers and crossover parts, and expecting you to build a good speaker out of them.

--Andre

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreYew
Often, the way these systems are promoted is equivalent to someone handing you a bunch of wood, high quality drivers and crossover parts, and expecting you to build a good speaker out of them.
Actually, it's more like comparing a refrigerator to a stove to a dishwasher :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I own the Tact and have never heard the DEQX but I did a fair amount of research before my purchase. Many people who have heard both felt the Tact was a superior sounding preamp and had a very high quality DAC. This is besides the room EQ functions. The real power of the DEQX is in the crossover functions.

So if you don't need the crossover controls, go with the Tact. My unit sounds wonderful even when used simply as a preamp/DAC.

Joe M

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I do know that the folks at TacT have a new digital amplifier package with either digital crossovers or room correction. As far as I can tell they don't do linear phase high-slope crossovers a la Deqx though. http://www.bozaudio.com

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
I do know that the folks at TacT have a new digital amplifier package with either digital crossovers or room correction. As far as I can tell they don't do linear phase high-slope crossovers a la Deqx though. http://www.bozaudio.com
And there is also an upgrade package for the current 2150 amp, it will add the same crossover and correction features to the 2150 amp.

http://www.tactlabs.com/News/News.htm

Michel

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
As far as I know, all TacT products use linear-phase FIR filters. If you're a DIY kind of guy you can design crossover curves with whatever shape you want by listing frequency and dB numbers in a text file. The TacT software will use those numbers to calculate the FIR coefficients.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.