AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the market of tactile devices is still pretty small, wiht only 3 or so manufacturers even making them. I hear about bass shakers, but kickers and the likes all the time but nobody has really compared them.

Its also really hard to find specs. Is there a measurement of efficiency/power for these units like foot/lbs per watt or something?

Also are there reviews of the different brands/models like from aura and clark synthesis somewhere?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, personally I have 6 of the ast1b4 aura units powered from an old 80 watt stereo receiver. I run it at 70 percent volume.

These are mounted to the metal frame of a folding bed couch, similar to a futon but more up to date. The couch has wheels on the part your but is on, which slides straight forward to become where your feet are

I mounted these using

small peices of wood that are slightly wider than the 1 inch tube steel underneith the unit the same length as the shaker and bout 3/4 thick

same type of wood as above but shorter to place on top of the unit.

I then used large scew pipe clamps to hold them steady. These are similar to what your radiator hose in the car uses.

With this setup I have completly smoothed to response of the shakers out and have not created any permanent holes in the furniture. It makes it very easy to move around plus i have done no damage to the shaker itself (scraping off paint and such). The couch seats 2-3 people. I have mounted 4 in the BUTT portion and two in the back portion for even distribution.

I wired them three in parralel on each channel. It was easy to hide the wires along the frame and route it so the folding function of the bed doesnt interfear with the cable.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have been using tactile transducers in my system for several years. My first installation was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units. (ultra high performance Aura's) I used these for about a year and stepped up to a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F models and on to their Platinum models when they made their debut. The Clark's are exceptional units and supplied a very large performance impovement over the RBH units.

At the time I installed the Platinums I also installed a pair of Buttkicker units and a pair of Carvin DCM1000 amplifiers to drive them. When it comes to low frequency extension and output the BK is champion. It has no peers! There is no comparison.

While testing I fed the BK unit a 10Hz sine wave and it produced it with severe authority! It is also extremely dynamic, quick and detailed.

The BK is so capable of producing low frequencies I use a pair of subharmonic synthesizers on their signal. An Audio Control PCA generates subharmonics 1 octave and a Behringer EX1200 generates subharmonics 2 octaves below the original. A Paradigm X-30 is used after each processor and then summed before feeding the power amplifiers.

I use the TT's to activate a queen size adjustable bed in my bedroom based theater

John

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
From what I have read about the buttkicker they require a minimum of 400 watts.
It's 350 minimum for the original Buttkicker 700W average. I would suggest a minimum of 1000W available for some headroom. I can clip my DCM1000's on demanding material.

Quote:
Is there a lower power consumtion model available?
The BK2 has been released and is suppose to be more efficient. But still requires enormous amounts of power.

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have not done a comparison on the different TT. I have read several consumer reviews. I can tell you as an owner of 2 BK units that they perform up to their reputation. They are everything that was expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.