AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with remotes that scarf down batteries like pigs at a trough, I highly recommend Tadirans. They are military application batteries that use lithium thionyl chloride in a specialized processing configuration, each battery is 3.6 volts. I bought four Tadiran AA's at Radio Shack, I believe they are the only brick and mortar retailer that carries them. The cost for a single battery is $10.99 - yes $10.99!

Estimated life span is scaled at 5 to 15 years - naturally, what you use the

batteries for and how often will ultimately determine it's longevity, but considering the purposes they were made for, it's safe to assume that remote control duty should be "fairly" manageable for an extended amount

of time. (I hope).

I've had mine for only six months (I'd be on my third pack of Duracells by now), but they are as strong now as the day I put them in (April 9th). I figure if they die by years end then I would have learned a $47.00 lesson, but if they indeed last their purported minimum life span of 5 years then it

would have been more than worth the investment, heck even three years would find me having spent less money then if I were to buy Duracells or Energizers (sure I could buy el cheapos if I didn't mind them lasting two weeks) every three months. For indepth and exhaustive info on Tadiran go to their website at : http://www.tadiranbat.com/

NOTE : Standard batteries would begin their death march roughly after three months - at a frequency of using the remote every other day on average. By contrast, since April 9th I've used the remote every single day with nary a hint of issue from the Tadirans, granted I'll be in the red till they've lasted two and a half years - but I'm encouraged thus far.

P.S. - Anyone else using these batteries for their remote?

WARNING SONY RMAV2100 USERS: My buddy used Tadirans for this remote

and they died within a week!!! Obviously we figured that some how some

way he got a faulty batch, so we went to Radio Shack and explained the situation and they reluctantly gave him a brand new set, (for $47.00 you best believe we weren't leaving without an exchange) anyway to make a

long story short it happened again! We went back to Radio Shack and explained the situation and that I've been using the batteries for several

months without incident (four months at that time). We all came to the conclusion that for some reason the RMAV2100's voltage operating design coupled with the Tadirans unique power sourcing results in some serious

technical funky voodoo which ends up killing the Tads, but fortunately leaving the RMAV2100 unscathed.

A refund was offered, but my friend opted for a brand new set of four because he will be purchasing a Pronto remote in the near future

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is the first I've heard of these batteries. Given that remotes are designed for 1.5v per battery, feeding them 3.6v per battery is a little scary in my mind. I'd be interested in knowing the engineering behind why Radio Shack decided this was "safe enough" to sell.

- Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrispy,

Your concerns are absolutely valid, and I had the same questions,

but after reading accounts from several Remotecentral.com forum members

who have been using the batteries for several years without incident including those with my remote, I decided to take the plunge. The Sony RMAV2100 is the only remote that I know of that doesn't play nice with the

Tadirans. As for Radio Shack, they said that people with battery powered laptops are the ones who most often purchase the product.

Frankly, I'm thrilled they carry them, because if my Tadirans make it to three

years I will definitely buy another four since by that time I will have made a profit on my investment, and thus have a new set ready for when the time

comes that my current set dies.

At $10.99 per battery it is highly unlikely that they will be mistaken for standard cells, it is a specialized product for specialized means, but can also

be used for conventional devices if compatible - and if so, thus garnering a

great deal of money saved in the long term.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe the use of batteries like these could void your remote's warranty. You may want to check with the manufacturer before risking that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.