Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... where to start!

First I am considering purchasing three pieces of TAG McLaren equipment and have been speaking to various affiliated personnel who have been most helpful.

I started with a number of questions related to each of the AVR32EX, DVD32R and 100x5R. The good folks have been able to answer all my questions with the exception of the following which require some "real world" experience/insight.

1. I currently have M&K MPS-2550 L/C/R and M&K MPS-1625 SR/SL . These speakers, which are part of their professional series can be found at http://www.mkprofessional.com/6000cu_ft_sys.html and http://www.mkprofessional.com/mps1625.html respectively.

The speakers are currently fed by a Cinepro 3K6 MKIII amplifier which produces in excess of 400 w/ch into 8 ohms and 650 w/ch in to 4 ohms (i.e. the nominal impedance of the speakers).

This leads to the question .... will the TAG 100x5R be sufficient to drive the speakers, bearing in mind that my primary use (i.e. 95%+) is HT which requires a very dynamic amplifier.

Please provide your thoughts.

2. I am seriously considering the DVD32R as well but would like some feedback as to the pros/cons of this piece relative to other high end DVDs such as those from Meridian, Theta, etc., particularly from those who have experience with these units.

It is curious that this product is much more popular in Europe than in North America.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joelc
who have experience with these units.

It is curious that this product is much more popular in Europe than in North America.

TAG designs and manufactures excellent products as many US buyers are learning. The product line is relatively new to the States and has a year or so head start in Europe.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I do not know the Tag line well, but why are you interested in replacing the current Cinepro amp that you are using? Seems that you will be decreasing your power output to speakers that love power.

Maybe I am missing something, but I guess you want all the same brand of equipment.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Partially correcT

Not only do I want all equipment from the same brand but I amalso very attarcted by the idea of their upgrade/recycle policy!

Joel

·
Registered
363 Posts
Joel,

I am assuming that you are buying the equipment without an audition? I asked Buzz previously if they had dealers in Canada and at that time there were non. If you actually decide to get this set up would it be to forward of me to ask for an audition...

Many thanks

Miles

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mwan:

I would be happy to audition the equipment for you -- just have to first make sure that the good folks at TAG give me a referral fee.

My system will sound very different from yours... whereas you have ML speakers, I have M&K speakers.

On a related note, what are you most interested in... the processor, the dvd player or the amplifier. The reason I ask is that all my friends who use ML speakers tell me that they make huge demands on the amplifier and, based on that, I assume that it will not be up to the task.

Seriously, please e-mail me later this week. By then I will have finalized the transaction, have anidea of the delivery date and be in a position to work something out.

Joel

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Joel , I have much experience with the Tag gear. I think that the Tag would do much better overall then the Cinepro. I have put the Tag on many speakers that need power and I can say that it does surprisingly well. I also think that having matched components is important.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Supereasy,

I am curious as to why you think that having matched components is important?

I am running a full Martin Logan HT and going to the Tag amp does make me a bit nervous. They are a tough load for any amp.

Thanks

Ron H

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, all the speculation and uncertainty will soon be solved. I did opt to try the TAG McLaren amp -- if it does the trick great. If it does not do the trick, then it will go back.

As they say... nothing venture, nothing gained.

As per Ron's question, I too am most curious as to why you think having matched component is important.

Joel

·
Registered
363 Posts
That overused advertising word... Synergy really can exist between matched components... the other thing that will benefit you in the case of the Tag is their custom bus (tagtronic I think) On Cal 2500 series equipment all components can be linked by rs232 and the pre-pro has control over other components. For example, If you set the preset for say a 2 channel source you can have the pre-pro tell the amp to only turn on 2 channels L/R, and the videoswitch would stay off. For say the DVD input you would tell the amp all 5 channels and have the video switcher turn on the appropriate signal path... It is kind of neat. I am sure that the Tag bus is similar in design...

Miles

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Mwan, You are right about the link. Also as you can imagine it is hard to build a piece of equipment that works perfect with all the others but it is easy to make sure that the input and outputs work the best with your own stuff. especially with Digital output's with different kind of jitter controls.

Joel I am interested in hearing how it goes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will post two sets of impressions/results. The first will be my intial thoughts after a day or so of use. The second will be after two to three weeks of regular use.

As the gear will not be in hand for at least another seven to ten days, please be patient.

Thanks,

Joel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.