AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in several places that Taiyo-Yuden had discontinued production of 4X DVD-R media a while ago. There were still plenty 4X in the channel to sell until exhausted, but 8X was now their baseline.

That may explain why the price of T-Y 4X at www.supermediastore.com has not moved in months ($33/100) with no offer of free shipping -- and why the last pack I received looked liked it collected dust on a shelf for 6 months. T-Y 8X are only $5 more ($38/100) and support 1X-8X burn speed, but if your burner only goes up to 4X it doesn't make much sense to pay it. So if you are a fan of T-Y like me (all I use -- don't burn no cheap media) and are happy with 4X you might want to forget about waiting for the price to come down and consider adding to your reserve while you can.

Don't forget supermediastore.com has an outrageous $8 s/h fee, but it's the only place I currently trust to get genuine T-Y from.

·
Registered
129 Posts
they had a sale on those 4x's at supermedia a couple of months ago. i bought 2 600 packs for around $300. my NEC burns them at 8x. Good media indeed :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have about 150 4X left as well as 50 16X. I'm waiting for a good deal at SMS on 16X for my Plextor. I gave my sister my + discs. Now what do I do with the 400 -R discs I have from several brands. Not the Japanese stuff. Just the Taiwan discs. Using them when making BUC's.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the info. Although I still have about 160 4X TYs, I think I'll order another 100 just to be safe. I do believe my Panny E75 likes 4X discs better than 8X and I know my Samsung DVD player likes 4X DVD-Rs made on the E75 better than 8X.

The $8 shipping is reasonable. It's actually the $20-$25 they want to ship a 100 pack of slim jewel cases that is outrageous. But I can order the cases from Staples which has always charged me $7.95 regardless of order size.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For me Rima.com has been outstanding in service and genuine TY's

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill
they had a sale on those 4x's at supermedia a couple of months ago. i bought 2 600 packs for around $300. my NEC burns them at 8x. Good media indeed :D
You bought 1200 T-Y's in one shot?!?

Dude -- my hero

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurkey
Are the 4X discs out of stock? One page (linked from the Highest Value Best Price graphic) says they are out of stock. When using the other 4X link (top of hot product list) I can't find a place to order?

I'm looking at this page: http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo...d-r-media.html
Wow, no kidding.

I checked the site this morning at work before I posted. I was going to order some tonight. Silly me for waiting. Not only are they out of 4X but they jacked up the price of 8X by $3 from this mnorning.

One thing I did notice. If you buy 1x100 spindle the shipping is $8. If you buy 2x100 spindles the shipping is $10. I hope the pipeline hasn't run dry and they get some more in.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got the 8X discs for something like $129 for a 300 pack. Well worth it. At $0.03 more per disk it was well worth the expense and I'm waiting for them to arrive. Then again, I think shipping may have been free so it's virtually even. I've decided to use Taiyos indefinitely and never, ever think of buying the Memorex, even though they have worked. Now I have abut 220 memorex DVD+R discs for distribution of material to friends, LOL.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just ordered 200 4X Ty's. Already warned my wife. Waiting for the 8X and 16X to go on sale. They match my 3 burners.

I'm addicted to buying blank discs. I need help. What do I do with the 400 or so blank discs from other manufacturers that I bought during the year?

·
Registered
336 Posts
My last spindle of 100 TY 4x DVD-Rs from SuperMediaStore has had several bad discs, all at the outer edge. The problems occur after 1:50 at SP. I stopped using FR because I don't want to fill up the disc and record all the way to the outer edge.

This has happened on recordings made with both my E80 and my computer burner. When I switch to a Maxell 4x Made In Japan DVD-R, the recording is fine.

John

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Davis
Just ordered 200 4X Ty's. Already warned my wife. Waiting for the 8X and 16X to go on sale. They match my 3 burners.

I'm addicted to buying blank discs. I need help. What do I do with the 400 or so blank discs from other manufacturers that I bought during the year?
Jay:

I still have couple hundred 2x TDKs from a sale at Best Buy last year. I'm keeping a store of slower discs, since I feel better about using the 2x and 4x in my older machines (Panny E80s), even though they seem to do OK with 8x and 16x. For my recorders that take the faster stuff, I bought a couple hundred printable 8x at Costco, then I found an even better price on printable 16x at Sam's Club, only to have Costco do a 2 for 1 on the printable 8x just after I order 500 of "the last of the 4x" silver T-Ys from Supermediastore.

I have 1300 blanks in unopened packages and a few dozen more in opened ones.

My name is Ray, and I am a videoholic.

Compared to me, you are cured!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
DoxtorRay- I also have a stash of 2X Sony's that I paid $20.00 for 100 a couple of months ago. I use them in my Sharp 300 standalone. I'll be sure to point to you when my wife sees the delivery. You have me beat by a couple of hundred discs.

As to being a videoholic I wouldn't say I'm cured. I'm planning on going to Compusa while my wife is having minor surgery tomorrow. They have the Sima CT200 for net $49.00 after rebate.

·
Registered
527 Posts
With the 100 4X Ty's I ordered yesterday I now have bout about 270. That should allow me to complete my transfer of some 160 tapes to DVD and still have some for recording new movies, etc. The Ty's have been the best discs I've used by far. Though I also have some 4X gold Panasonic's and 4X Verbatim movie reel discs that have been trouble free too.

I've been using the leftover less reliable discs (Memorex, etc.) for doing quick transfers to my computer and for recording the Music Choice channels so I can rip the audio. I hate wasting a good disc if I just want to copy a 5 minute video.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is really funny. You guys buy blank disks the way my girls buy shoes.

I only inventory ~100 disks at a time.

My name is Kelson and I have control.

I'm still laughing . . .

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas
My last spindle of 100 TY 4x DVD-Rs from SuperMediaStore has had several bad discs, all at the outer edge. The problems occur after 1:50 at SP. I stopped using FR because I don't want to fill up the disc and record all the way to the outer edge.

This has happened on recordings made with both my E80 and my computer burner. When I switch to a Maxell 4x Made In Japan DVD-R, the recording is fine.

John
John, how many is "several"? I sure hope your bad spindle is an isolated occurrence.

Based on Kelson and JD'S strong recommendations, I threw caution to the wind and ordered 600 TY 4X DVD-R from Supermediastore for 192.00 with free ground shipping. I didn't want to be shut out if they become unavailable, and now I can watch for better sales from a position of strength.

I am burning in real time, so 4X doesn't faze me, and I seem to recall Videonut stateing that disc fade/errors is less likely to occur at slower recording speeds.

Oh well, in for a penny- in for a pound. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longplay
John, how many is "several"? I sure hope your bad spindle is an isolated occurrence.
I ordered the same 600 pack. It has only happened maybe a half-dozen times, but the others weren't recorded all the way to the outer edge. I don't think I've had a successful burn over 1:50 at SP or at FR from this spindle. I hope it is just one bad spindle and not all six.

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas
I ordered the same 600 pack. It has only happened maybe a half-dozen times, but the others weren't recorded all the way to the outer edge. I don't think I've had a successful burn over 1:50 at SP or at FR from this spindle. I hope it is just one bad spindle and not all six.

John
Uh-Oh :eek:

A half dozen times out of how many discs?

Are they all bad? Why didn't you return them?

A 600 pack is 6 separate spindles?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Attention K-Mart shoppers. Before ordering at Supermediastore check out their coupon/rebate offers. They are currently offering a $7.00 off coupon on TY 4X. That brings the price down to $22.00 per 100. Unbelievable price.

Kelson- I suggest you splurge and order a couple of hundred before they're gone again.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.