AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking forward to seeing this film after recently seeing some well done Japananese horror films and hearing great things about Director Takashi Miike. I was very disappointed. I suppose the film itself isn't terrible, but it has
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) a prolonged scene of human torture and suffering which is something that I don't endure well, suffice to say that I don't enjoy films that have this sort of thing (like "Hannibal" for instance) and I ended up scanning past some of it when I could truly take no more.

I would say it is best to see this film without any prior knowledge of so much as its genre because it really does a good job of pulling the rug out from under you and switching genres. Of course, the cover gives away a huge part of the film so not knowing at least some things about it is next to impossible, unfortunately.

I don't recommend this film unless you don't mind scenes such as those written about in the spoiler area above. Also be advised that, though amazon.com's page says otherwise, this DVD is NOT anamorphic. Look for my copy to be up on ebay pretty soon.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did check the commentary, but when I found out it was only of the last reel I shut it off, I didn't want to watch that again. The commentary probably runs around 22 minutes or so, as it started at about 1hr 28min in to the film just when the main character is returning home to the message from his son.

Miike was talking, but then they had someone speaking over his voice with an English translation. I would have preferred English subtitles, but since I won't be keeping the disc it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I saw this at a theater a few weeks ago here in Minneapolis. The scene you describe really was about the most gruesome thing I've ever seen in a movie. "kitty, kitty, kitty..." It ranks right up there with Salo. Still, the movie was interesting & I wouldn't mind seeing it again since some of it really was terrific.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.