AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the Totem's use Dynaudio mid/bass drivers (2), the Dyn's utilize a soft dome tweeter where the Totems use metal, Have you had a chance to listen to the Mani-2? They flat our rock (SPL). Bass to rival most floor-standers and they image like crazy. Good stuff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
The Totem Acoustic Mani-2's use a modified Seas aluminum dome tweeter while the Dynaudio obviously use a Dynaudio soft dome tweeter.


My speaker system consists of:


Front channels:

Totem Acoustic Mani-2's.


Center Channel:

Totem Acoustic Mani-2.


Rear Channels:

Totem Acoustic Model One Signatures.


Let me tell you, it sounds sweet with movies and I have not even tried SACD or DVD-A yet!


Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
This 52´s are beautiful. Pity they are so expensive, but in the other hand, the regular 52´s will probably become cheaper, at least for the pre-owned ones. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$1400 is not a lot for an "quality" enrty level stand mounter.


I have the .pdf literature if anybody is interested in taking a closer look.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts
I'm drooling as we speak. Where do you guys get this info, I was trying to utilize my friend's german skills plus internet translation to figure out what was going on with these...


And tom i'm interested you have a pm.


Oh, and when do these come out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Actually the Totems do not use the dynaudio drivers. Common mistake. They are a HiVi driver.


Pretty nice copy aren't they? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
Actually the Totems do not use the dynaudio drivers. Common mistake. They are a HiVi driver.


Pretty nice copy aren't they? :)
The Totem Acoustic Mani-2's and the Model 1's do infact use the Dynaudio 17W 75XL Driver.

See the Stereophile Review for more details
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Guess what??


Stereophile is wrong sometimes. ;)


Believe me.......they aren't dynaudio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
 http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/l...iffhanger.html


"What Ian doesn't point out is that these bass drivers are identical in appearance to a popular Dynaudio driver (used in some Totem speakers, for example) right to the large, vented dustcap, and could charitably be called a knockoff design. He claims they are better than the model for them. Hi-Vi Research is a Chinese-based company with R&D in Canada. Ian Smith is a consultant to Hi-Vi, as well as an independent speaker maker. His systems are largely sold through the internet, with additional local sales by referral."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
Guess what??


Stereophile is wrong sometimes. ;)


Believe me.......they aren't dynaudio.
I agree, Stereophile is wrong sometimes but is it possible that Soundstage! , University Audio , UHF Magazine , and Stereophile could all be wrong?


I guess it's still possible BUT when I read this quote from Secrets

Quote:
The original Model 1 was the first product introduced by Totem. According to Vince, it was the first ever to feature Dynaudio woofers and WBT connectors.
On second thought, maybe your right wrxguy but that would mean that Vince Bruzzese, the founder of Totem Acoustics and myself are both wrong. NOT!

NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM AND NO NOGGIN FOR YOU THIS WEEKEND ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/l...iffhanger.html


"What Ian doesn't point out is that these bass drivers are identical in appearance to a popular Dynaudio driver (used in some Totem speakers, for example) .........
LOL, You just quoted another source that says Totem Acoustics uses Dynaudio Drivers.


Say Uncle! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,605 Posts
I guess contacting Guy Filippi Director of Sales and Marketing for Dynaudio North America, or Dynaudio themselves would settle the burden of proof. I see it a oxymoron for a company like Dynaudio that makes sweet sounding tweeters and mid-bass drivers to have a certain model OEM'd from another plant. I am with Tom on this one. He owns and uses these speakers. And yes magazine editors an not infallible. Can I get some Noggin this weekend?:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Sorry to keep yapping about the Totems in this Dynaudio thread, but ...


Bradad: Curious, what amps are using to drive your three Mani-2 's ?

It is well known that they need a lot of power/current to make them sing.


- Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Grooms
Have you had a chance to listen to the Mani-2? They flat our rock (SPL). Bass to rival most floor-standers and they image like crazy. Good stuff!
yeah, mani-2s make me drool. i'd buy them in a heartbeat.


any opinions on how they compare to the dynaudios?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Totem uses both Dynaudio and HiVi drivers. I got this information from the man, Vince Bruzzese, himself.


Here's the email I received from him:


Dear Paul,

We try to utilize some of the best drivers for our needs. If it implies utilizing a specially made Dynaudio, Scanspeak, Peerless etc, we go to great lengths to have them specifically made to our requirements.

The Model 1, Mani-2 and Model 1 twin use specially modified Dynaudio units. The Forest and Model SIG. Centre uses very much special ATI(Hi-Vi ) units. The reasons for this are not cost saving but rather that these companies sometimes have a unit which fit our parameters a little better.

We are one of the very few companies that has the merit to obtain special units that are further modified in house. The Totem sound is unique and not relevant to the particular drivers employed. People who give disinformation as to driver origin simply are speaking out of ignorance. The drivers are maybe 10% of the final equation and we have access to all because of our skill in making them sound super.

Thanks for your interest and good luck

Vince Bruzzese

Totem Acoustic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
That is odd. Last I heard from dynaudio is that they have not sold any of their drivers to the market for some time now.
I know for sure Dynaudio doesn't sell drivers to the consumer level anymore. But there are other speaker manufacturers that still use their drivers.


Egglestonworks is another company that I know of that uses Dynaudio drivers. They use the highly acclaimed Esotar tweeter in all of their speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zaz
Totem uses both Dynaudio and HiVi drivers. I got this information from the man, Vince Bruzzese, himself.


Here's the email I received from him:


Dear Paul,

We try to utilize some of the best drivers for our needs. If it implies utilizing a specially made Dynaudio, Scanspeak, Peerless etc, we go to great lengths to have them specifically made to our requirements.

The Model 1, Mani-2 and Model 1 twin use specially modified Dynaudio units. The Forest and Model SIG. Centre uses very much special ATI(Hi-Vi ) units. The reasons for this are not cost saving but rather that these companies sometimes have a unit which fit our parameters a little better.

We are one of the very few companies that has the merit to obtain special units that are further modified in house. The Totem sound is unique and not relevant to the particular drivers employed. People who give disinformation as to driver origin simply are speaking out of ignorance. The drivers are maybe 10% of the final equation and we have access to all because of our skill in making them sound super.

Thanks for your interest and good luck

Vince Bruzzese

Totem Acoustic
I was under the impression that they used dynaudio drivers but then somebody told me that I was wrong.


I guess I was given some bad info!


Well I guess we were all right! They use both!! ;)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top