AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted last week, the Dilard Back Up Wizard is fundamentally complete. The Beta testers have been backing up their projectors just fine (thanks, guys!).

However, I wanted to add one more feature before releasing it. Since the Back Up Wizard is the only application in the Dilard suite with complete knowledge of the projector's state, I thought that it would be nice to display the information somehow.

I wanted to take some of the mystery out of "what's in there". When you see this report, you should have most of the mystery taken away. This is a report of "what's in there".

Under the "Tools" menu in the Wizard, there is a "Create Projector Report" item. Selecting that option will take all of your projector settings and make a nicely formatted HTML report from the data, including a dynamically generated JPEG graphic displaying your gamma curve (more than a bit tricky!).

The report is print-ready, so you can do before-and-after print outs, or just hand someone the report if you sell the projector.

You can see a report that I just created from my G11 by clicking here . This is about 75% of what you can display in the report.

I would love any final feedback before this gets released! If you have comments, now is the time to say so...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hi,

Have you been able to also save (and print in the report) the contents of G20's and M4000's chanels and user sources specific memories?

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mark,

Very interesting idea. How was the gamma profile comment generated?

I'm entertaining houseguests this week, so I haven't had the opportunity to tweak things yet.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks great Mark,

Excellent way to bring up of the DILAs settings with a single stroke.

I thought for sure though, I'd see your picture there in a box called "my DILA profile". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif :

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert,

Yes, this actually does support the G20/M4000...in theory anyway. I don't have one to test with...and went "blind", using just the docs to build it. Yikes!

Jeff,

The Gamma "Comments" are derived as the graph is being built. An algorithm does look-ahead and look-behind plotting to determine if points are mathematically "off". To be fair, I don't believe that the human eye can see the minute mathematical errors (although sometimes they are obvious), but it wasn't hard to do and tells you a little more than just a graph all by itself.

Chris,

Glad you like it. I couldn't figure out how to get the picture in the report. Making JPEGs graphics on the fly was hard enough!

Kevin,

Nice mug shot!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Mark:

Would it be possible to (in a relatively brief fashion) output the Phase/Tracking/H/V/Geometry information for every mode in the projector? (ie. a Table with 1 mode/line)

Also, what do the divisions on the graph represent (ie I would have expected 10 divisions for 0-100 IRE, but I suspect your graph is more related to the power-of-2 length of the Gamma LUT in the projector?)

Andy K.

[This message has been edited by kromkamp (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Andy,

Quote:
Would it be possible to (in a relatively brief fashion) output the Phase/Tracking/H/V/Geometry information for every mode in the projector? (ie. a Table with 1 mode/line).
You got it! . It's getting better and better.

Quote:
Also, what do the divisions on the graph represent

Of the projector's 2^10 points (10 bit gamma), each section shows a section 2^6 points wide, for a total of 2^4 sections.

I did try 10 sections (to correspond with decimal based IRE), but it seemed "less pure" to split the projector's 1024 (2^10 bit gamma) points into 10 sections of 102.4 projector points.

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell me about it! They definitely didn't leave anything out!

I will get "Phase" into the list shortly as well...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Wow!! Everything you always wanted to know about you're DILA but were afraid to ask.

Mark, who's "they"?

What's with the pics?

Kevin, is your knickname Grizzly? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Is this a new feature of AVS? If so, you know they're asking for it, don't you?

Chris

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mark,

I am a new comer to D-ILA projectors, having had an LCD until 2 months ago. I now have a low hour G11. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I must admit to being somewhat intimidated by all the features (and possible adjustments) the Dilard software appears to offer. Is this something that a new comer like myself can get into and more to the point understand the impact a change in any one or multiple perimeters will have on the picture quality in other areas of the G11? After living with the my G11 for a while now, I am starting to see areas that I would like to tweak, like overscan, pixel alignment, color temp (mine seems to favor green a bit) and contrast/black level. I am very computer literate and a gadget nut. I have been into AV/HT for many years so I’m not totally inept when it comes to HT systems and the technology.

I was also considering getting the G11 calibrated. Could I make most of those adjustments with Dilard, or do these type of major setup changes need to be performed by a certified tech? I would prefer to spend the money on a software package that I could use to periodically make adjustments rather than a one time $500 calibration fee.

Finally when do you expect the updated software to be available and at what will be the cost?

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat as you, Don. I've had my G11 setup for about 3 months now. On a 100" screen, I quickly saw the benefit of upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player.

But, other than that, I'm really quite happy with the image the way it is. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I'm using a 4:3 screen and I don't really have any issues with the image placement. When viewing 4:3 material it fills the screen; when viewing 16:9 (or other widescreen) the image fits edge-to-edge and I have black bars on top and bottom. To me, that is much less annoying than black bars on the sides.

I guess, at this point my configuration is pretty simple since I only have the one DVD player (JVC XV-D723). I will be soon adding a DTC-100 for HDTV and normal satellite viewing.

I too, have been a software engineer for many years doing things like OS drivers for hardware devices and am absolutely fascinated with the idea of computer control/configuration of hardware.

I've been following the posts of Mark Foster (including searching through the archives) and the evolution of DILARD for the past 6 months. As a programmer, I'm truly in awe of what he has created. I mean, I've read the docs on the protocol and how to communicate with the G11 and all, but what I really admire is that he actually understands just what the heck all those configuration settings do! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

I guess my problem is that being technical, I want to understand what I'm changing, and how it will affect the image. I'd feel better if I could point at some problem area and say, "I'll just fire up DILARD and fix that." I mean, I saw the interlaced artifacts go away when I went to a progressive scan DVD player, so I'm comfortable with that change.

Please don't misinterpret this post as a rant that off-site calibration and products like DILARD aren't really useful; instead view this as a plea from someone technical in nature (but way out of his league) to get a better understanding of what these things can do.

Oh, and ...uh...I guess maybe..Umm.. I'm looking for some justification for these services for spousal approval... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris,

...In fact, there is even stuff you DIDN'T want to know about D-ILA and DIDN'T want to ask http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif !

"They" is JVC (and Hughes)...who thought of every possible adjustment you can think of and put it in these projectors. You can definitely tell that these devices were originally built to military specs.

Why they would put all of that great stuff in there, and not give users a way to touch it is still beyond me...

Don,

Congratulations on your new projector. I don't think that Dilard is as complicated as I make it look sometimes (although you might want to ask actual users for a less biased opinion). I show a little too much of the technology behind the scenes instead of looking at just the features and benefits.

Hey, I'm a developer...not a marketing guy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

As far as making adjustments go, almost all of the ones you mentioned can be done with the current version of the software (overscan, pixel alignment, color temp, contrast/black level...although a new version of this last item is coming).

A full "calibration" also includes gamma adjustments and shading, two features that will be shipping with the product this summer. The upgrade to obtain these features will be free (as has every upgrade).

The next version of the software (with the report listed on this page) will be available within 2 weeks, and the cost will be $350.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don,

If you don't use an HTPC in your home theater, there is no need to get another computer at all. Just about anything that you have laying around the house will be fine.

It just needs to have:
  • Pentium class processor. The computer will not have to be permanently connected to the projector.
  • Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP Operating System.
  • 10 MB of free drive space on the computer
  • At least one available COM port on the computer
  • A null modem or full modem cable in a length to connect the computer to the projector

You can connect the computer to the projector, make any adjustments you wish, and then disconnect the computer. The changes to the projector are permanent, and will affect any video source you use with the projector (not just a computer).

In fact, a big reason for the "back up wizard" referenced in this thread is the fact that the changes are permanent. The back up wizard will save all of your settings (on floppy disk, for safekeeping) so you can restore at any time, if you wish.

I hope that this helps! Definitely don't go out and buy a laptop just for this, unless you were going to get one anyway.

I use a laptop in the Dilard screen shots because that is what I peronally use for adjustments, but it is certainly not necessary.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Don,

Mark definitely made some good points. You don't NEED to have a permanent PC connected at all times to use Dilard.

But..........it sure is nice if you can swing the $$.

One thing I haven't seen much conversation on here is the Macro availability in Dilard. They're AWESOME. Although I have a ton more tweaking to do before I reach nirvana, I can walk in to my living room, sit down and press a keyboard key, or press "watch movie" on my Pronto, and enjoy. The macro does it all. Plus, you can taylor your macro to meet your own needs.

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.