AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a DVD Recorder with a hard drive. Price range is 500-800 bucks. I know there are a lot of new models coming out from May-July. Is it going to be worth it to wait for the new ones or are they just going to be similar to the models out now? In other words, if time wasn't an issue, are the newer models worth the wait? And if so, what will they have equipped that the models available today don't have. Thanks for the input.

AudioNoob

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
It all depends what your looking for. The Pioneer had my wants and needs for a recorder right now. I felt it offered more than the upcoming Panasonic DMR-E85H.

There's some Sony models coming but have never seen a link pointing them out. As usual, I expect Sony to be way over priced. Then there's the PSX if it ever comes out. It's a DVD hard drive recorder, game, etc for about $800 if you want that. After seeing all the problems that the PS2 had with DVD playback, I'm not looking to go that route myself.

Have a good one.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Link doesn't work.

I tried my tuner out and am quite impressed with it's quality. Seems there have been some bad units as my first DVR-310 was defective also, comparing it to my 510H.

Just out of curiosity, the herringbone lines you were referring to earlier in the tuner, were these not there when you used the exact same coaxial cable to the VCR. The reason I ask is that coaxial cables are fragile and just having a kink in them or by having a questionable connector will give the interference you described.

Have a good one and better luck next time.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. But I was hoping someone would have some insight into exactly what features these newer models will have that the available models (now) don't have. What is the reason to wait for the newer models? What are they improving?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mike Up: FWIW, the link works fine for me. Regarding my problem, I tried everything including the simplest possible setup I could. Wall to Pioneer via brand new AR coaxial I went out and purchased (specifically to rule out the F cable, nice stuff by the way) and Pioneer to TV via S-Video (also tried composite out to TV too) thus taking everything else out of the equation. It came down to either the tuner or my cable service, especially since I was able to record the diagonal lines meaning it could only be one of those two. Cable guy tested the line and said it was near perfect (and I believe him, he spent a lot of time with me trying to help) so it had to the PVR tuner. I even went as far as shutting off the power to everything in my home at the breaker box just to make sure it wasn't electrical interference, as well as try my PVR out at a relatives home on the other side of the city in which I live, as well as take a new unit (floor model) home to try. I was vey thorough and in the end decided that even though I loved my Pioneer 510H and everything it could do (it is very nice after all) I just couldn't stand those lines, especially since they were worst on my most watched and favorite channel (of all the luck).

AudioNoob: The main reason for waiting would be simply because there will be more variety and brands to chose from. The pickings for a DVD recorder with a HDD are kind of slim right now, but it seems (at least according to the news that came out of CES) that everyone if jumping on the band wagon with "me too" recorder/PVR units this year. The biggest reason I'm happy I was able to get my money back was because of the news release I posted regarding Sony. Few if any have or will have IR blasters built in, but the new Sony this summer will. If your in need of digital cable box control as I am, this feature alone is well worth waiting for. Then there is the fact that the Sony will be able to do both - and + R/RW so one is less likely to be limited there, larger HDD (120 GB), and the fact that current non-HDD DVD recorders by Sony seem to be highly regarded by users here at AVS. Then there is the simple fact that more competition means lower prices. I think you'll start seeing detailed specs on new units from different companies come this spring which isn't really that far away, and units for actual sale in early summer. Also remember that a good deal of what is out now is first generation, so expect to see small improvements simply based on that fact too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Noob -

I am waiting until the Sony RDR-GX300 (outlined in a CES press release) becomes available this summer before buying for the reason that Outcast mentioned - this unit will supposedly have an IR blaster. This is a very important feature for me because I do a lot of timer recording.

I just hope Sony won't fool around with the makeup of the unit between now & then and eliminate this feature.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
I found the press release on my own and the statement said Dual RW compatibility. So it sounds as it will be like the current sony, NO +R, just +RW. The link is now working, so the site must had been down.

Also good luck with the IR blasters. I've never had any work worth a crap. It's a gamble if your IR blaster actually changes the channel correctly. I have used a PC media Center IR blaster on a DirecTV receiver, terrible. I have used DirecTV IR Blaster on Sony VCR, terrible. I have used other DirecTV receiver IR blaster on Panasonic VCR, terrible. I have used JVC VCR IR Blaster on Dish Network receiver, terrible. The Pioneer's Auto Start feature is 100% reliable and much better than IR blasters. My JVC S-VHS VCR has auto start and a IR Blaster, seems they didn't think the IR Blaster was 100% reliable either, or they wouldn't of added auto start. It's nice to have both, but I've lost many recordings due to those **mn IR Blasters.:mad: I just wouldn't wait for a model with an IR blaster that most likely won't be reliable.

Also on the interference, I guess you were just unfortunate as you're the only one on this forum to have that problem. Others have stated they haven't had the problem, as I. Good luck on your next try, hope it works out better for you.

Also there have been reports on DVDRhelp.com that the Sony recorded DVD is darker than the original (which isn't good IMO, even if encoding is A+). Don't have links but a month ago I down loaded pictures showing this compared to a Panasonic recorded video and the Sony definitely looked way to dark and saturated. So just take this with caution.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The auto-start on the Pioneer is a good idea without a doubt. Unfortunately I'm in an apartment which will not allow a dish, so it's digital+analog cable or analog cable only. The STB is a Motorola DCT2500 which means the auto-start on the Pioneer was next to useless. Not Pioneer's fault of course, I blame Motorola for designing the box so that it always sends out a blank video signal when off (makes the 510 come on and stay on). Plus my digital cable only allows for 7 timers so even if auto-start did work I'd be severely limited. One of the main reasons I bought a Pioneer 510 was to replace my VCR and get lot's of timers (32 to be exact). Since I'm so very limited for options plus do a lot of timer programming, my best bet is going to be an IR blaster and there isn't much I can do about that. If that doesn't work then I guess I may have to look at trying a Philips Pronto TSU3000 perhaps, if it ever gets timer abilities of course (promised update for the future). Sure can't wait to move into a house in a few years. Then I'll be able to get the PVR that Bell ExpressVu sells and all my problems regarding timer recording are solved. Until then I must choose to continue to hold out hope that the Sony coming this summer will solve my problems in the interim.

By the way, I don't think I was the only one who had problems. I think there was a post by someone else complaining about the quality of the analog tuner in the Pioneer 510H. And of course, there are the posts by you and zenith regarding the line in as well. All in all, I think the Pioneer is a risky purchase. You'll either get one that works great in your set up, or you won't. That's life for you though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I'm stupid. What is an IR blaster?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioNoob
... are the newer models worth the wait? And if so, what will they have equipped that the models available today don't have. Thanks for the input.

AudioNoob
You, my friend, have hit on the very dilemma any tech consumer runs into. But I feel that if you want it now, buy it. You won't be alive forever, after all. I bought an iPod the day they came out (still a happy choice) but I usually wait for a review or at least a couple months to pass when buying. I bought a DVDR a year ago after wanting one for about 6 months, also after seeing steep price decreases level off a few weeks before that. They really haven't declined more than about 50 bucks since then, and if the traffic on this forum is any indication, demand is high enough to keep prices from dropping much very soon.

The features added in the last year as well as those likely to appear soon wouldn't sway me to wait, either. The feature worth waiting for is a PVR-like EPG, which might be appearing in the next few months. Anyone who owns a PVR knows how sad the EPG state of affairs is currently in the world of DVDR's.

There's always the chance that some killer feature will appear the day after you buy, but its difficult to know about that in advance. If its something you really want, I say go for it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well said TomCat. It's even worse with computer parts. Eventually you just have to just jump in or you'll be waiting forever for that new amazing gadjet that's always just around the corner. In my case the Pioneer 510H didn't work out and other pickings are slim right now, so waiting isn't such a terrible option.

AudioNoob: An IR blaster is just an IR emmiter like on a remote, only it's built into the unit itself. The point of putting it in a VCR or PVR is so it can tell a set top box to turn on and change to a particular channel at a certain time, then turn off when done. It's needed because a VCR/PVR usually only has an analog tuner and not a digital one, meaning it can't decode certain channels you may subscribe to if you have digital services.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Quote:
I may have to look at trying a Philips Pronto TSU3000 perhaps, if it ever gets timer abilities of course (promised update for the future).
I have the Pronto TSU2000 and it had timers in it's release. I'm sure the new TSU3000 must have them?!

Quote:
And of course, there are the posts by you and zenith regarding the line in as well.
My DVR-310 was defective but it was quite obvious. I might had found more problems if I pursued watching the S-Video input. However after I seen the initial quality problems, it went right back.

I also had problems with the E80H but I don't think that was defective. I think I just never noticed before as I was comparing PQ of the recording to the monitored signal (which induced it's own digital artifacts). I learned my lesson that these DVD recorder monitored signals are really not the originals just passing through as does in tape recording. But as far as defective equipment goes, I have had many products defective out of the box. That's a given as many makers have a 3% failure rate right off the bat. My first Panasonic DVD-CV50 wouldn't play DVDs correct and was exchanged. The next was great. To be honest, I'm more concerned over products that fail or degrade the performance over time, than 'defective on arrival' products. Just me. Sincerely hope you have better luck.:)

Good luck on your quest.;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
You can wait forever.

But, you won't live forever.

Now is the time. Stop second guessing yourself and do it.

You can always UPGRADE later...which you WILL!!!

Provided you're still alive.

Technology will continue to advance until Jesus comes back.

(and He'll have some recorders that DO IT ALL!!!)

What are you waiting for? Buy now!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
lol

I was going to post something similar earlier. I was going to say what if the world ends in a few months and I think "I could have been using a dvd recorder and just kept waiting!!!!!"

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI, EPG= electronic program guide and it is useful if the DVD R is your main time shifting device. I've been sold on PVR's since getting Tivo in 2000...I use a DishPVR now (although they have not been highly reliable, dish home plan has paid for itself).

Anyway, bigger hard drives are an obvious addition and multiple formats, higher recording speeds...for my purposes, the E80H has been great.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Unfortunately, most EPG are not compatible with Digital cable or Satellite so they're pretty useless to most who are for quality, those using these DVD recorders. RCA DVD recorders have a separate IR Blaster port for satellite receivers but it doesn't use the EPG. Panasonic's new recorders will use EPG but the one they use (forgot) isn't compatible with satellite either and they make no mention of IR blaster.

So far there are a few with IR blasters but they don't use an EPG for satellite control and IR blaster aren't the most reliable in the first place. I was really wondering how Tivo was making it with an IR blaster so I looked up their site. They only use an IR blaster as a last resort and even acknowledge they're not the most reliable. They use a serial port control that plugs to a serial port on the back of a digital cable box or a satellite receiver for channel changing.

This makes sense as analog cable converters are just about none existent and OTA and analog cable not requiring converters, would just use the tuner in the Tivo.

So while EPGs are nice they are limited with most high quality content.

BTW, I have DirecTivos and really like them.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If the DMRE85H will be out in April it might be worth waiting for. Besides a bigger HD it also dubs faster and has an electronic program guide (TV Guide). If you don't need those features then by all means buy a E80H now.

Dsmith

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Up
I found the press release on my own and the statement said Dual RW compatibility. So it sounds as it will be like the current sony, NO +R, just +RW. The link is now working, so the site must had been down.
Later in the same press release, it states:

Compatible with popular DVD+RW/+R and DVD-RW/-R discs, the new DVD recorders give users the widest selection of recording and viewing choices.

-bpvh

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Sony Electronics today unveiled a lineup of dual compatible +RW/- RW DVD home recorders.
Quote:
The RDR-GX300 DVD dual RW recorder
Reread the press release. As I said, it states only -RW and +RW, not +R recording. It is compatible with +R for playback only.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.