AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents went to BB without talking to me first and got a good LCD BUT.....they started selling them everything under the sun along with it.

My question is this....they sold them this HDMI cable:

Monster Cable Ultra 1000, 10.2 Gbps for HDMI, 4 ft, Ultra high speed hdmi cable Ultra High definition. 12 bit color, extended range of colors, for the highest definition. $129.99.

I told them that they can get cables for $2 and that they were taken for a ride. Now, my parents are no videophiles so I think the difference between a cheaper cable and that one would make no difference.

Also, the sales said that they are upgrading the TV signal for HDTV ina few years and that the cable they bought would make their picture even better.

I smell BS...what are your notions?

·
Registered
413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymud /forum/post/14217294

My parents went to BB without talking to me first and got a good LCD BUT.....they started selling them everything under the sun along with it.

My question is this....they sold them this HDMI cable:

Monster Cable Ultra 1000, 10.2 Gbps for HDMI, 4 ft, Ultra high speed hdmi cable Ultra High definition. 12 bit color, extended range of colors, for the highest definition. $129.99.

I told them that they can get cables for $2 and that they were taken for a ride. Now, my parents are no videophiles so I think the difference between a cheaper cable and that one would make no difference.

Also, the sales said that they are upgrading the TV signal for HDTV ina few years and that the cable they bought would make their picture even better.

I smell BS...what are your notions?

YOur gut feeling is correct. They do this to every person who buys a TV unfortunately. Most aren't in the know, so they wouldn't realize that they can use component cables or even get cheaper HDMI cables. Its a real shame. Even had a sales person try to sell me a Monster Surge Protector. Tried to tell me how good it would make the picture. Interesting enough, none of the HD TVs on display were connected to this device. LOL. He went as far as to ask me the brand of HDMI I had after I said I already had the cable. I feel for those not in the know.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
laffo

they sold my parents that Monster Surge Protector....and the calibration service....and the cleaning kit, on top of the cable

my poor parents

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Tell them to take all that crap back and use the money to get a nice ISF calibration on the set.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are some serious margins in television "accessories". Guessing the sales staff at the store are paid straight commission, and this could be based on the margin as well. Not sure if its any different than buying a car to be honest with you. I recall being pitched on 250$ floor mats and mud flaps. I said no. I picked up the car and the damn things were thrown in the trunk. My buddy bought one of these Eddie Bauer Explorers and said no the the matching luggage. Six months later a big package arrives at his door with the "gift" of luggage. I guess Ford was tripping over all the suitcases in a warehouse somewhere. Anyway, installation of my mudflaps took about 20 minutes. If HDMI wasn't patented, they'd be thrown in the box for free.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymud /forum/post/14218084

they sold my parents that Monster Surge Protector....and the calibration service....and the cleaning kit, on top of the cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/14218323

Tell them to take all that crap back and use the money to get a nice ISF calibration on the set.

Not that I have used BB Calibration Services (and probably never will) but I notice on the ISF website that BB does ISF calibrations out of many of their locations.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymud /forum/post/14218084

laffo

they sold my parents ... the cleaning kit, on top of the cable...

my poor parents

I wouldn't be too quick to return the cleaning kit - unless your parents clearly understand that wiping the LCD with an ammonia or alcohol-based glass cleaner is a no-no.

That's probably the cheapest item in the pack of extras and may be worth keeping. Or get something similar but cheaper elsewhere just so they don't reach for the Windex.

Dana

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I shudder to think of what would happen to my poor parents walking into BB alone. They're intelligent people, but not about consumer electronic stuff. They're still using aol dial-up (drives me nuts) in the middle of Denver, and have two 25-year-old console TVs with rabbit ears. I've been trying to get them to pick up a cheap 42" LCD or plasma for the past year, but told them if they decide to, to give me a price limit and I'd do it for them or at the very least, go with them. I finally gave up two months ago, and picked them up some converters for their TVs, so they at least won't be affected next February. Honestly, for them, it's the best option, and they're thrilled.

·
UHD Addict
38,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyjaguar /forum/post/14220223

There are some serious margins in television "accessories". Guessing the sales staff at the store are paid straight commission, and this could be based on the margin as well. Not sure if its any different than buying a car to be honest with you. I recall being pitched on 250$ floor mats and mud flaps. I said no. I picked up the car and the damn things were thrown in the trunk. My buddy bought one of these Eddie Bauer Explorers and said no the the matching luggage. Six months later a big package arrives at his door with the "gift" of luggage. I guess Ford was tripping over all the suitcases in a warehouse somewhere. Anyway, installation of my mudflaps took about 20 minutes. If HDMI wasn't patented, they'd be thrown in the box for free.

Are there any commissions at BestBuy?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/14224422

Are there any commissions at BestBuy?

I have been told no. And at the BB closest to me - and at others I have visited, too - I can pick up whatever on the floor and cash out at the front registers with no ID slip from any sales person.

However, sales by department may be tracked and compared, one store to another, etc.

Dana

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are some sort of incentives.

The salespeople at the one here are some of the hardest-selling bunch of total BS'ers I've ever come across.

·
Registered
11,577 Posts
I don't think they make commission on the basic item, it's probably just all the extras there are incentives for selling. I'm sure the warranty is one of the biggest followed by all the accessories mentioned above.

As Nancy Regan once championed, "Just say NO"

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
"spiffs"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts