AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rent. I rent a space out of a house. the landlord also lives here but we do not share.... common space.. (house is physically divided persay.) So. my cable is crap. not much I can do about it. I get -17dbmV on my cablem modem (doesn't connect mind you)

So. I do have access to the cable box on the house and the main cable line. I want to split it and send a wire directly to my section because I'm sure he's split my connection amongst his before sending some my way.

Should I buy a drop amp signal booster? I also heard if you send too powerful signal it can fry your modem. true?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is your modem on your own account or are you just running your modem off the landlord's account?

If it's your own account, call your cable company and have them send someone out to fix your lines. The $20 service call or whatever it is in your area more than pays for what it would cost to buy the right tools and cables.

As for the amp, we avoid putting them in unless there's no other way to run cable - ie your apartment is 10 stories up with looped wiring in the unit that is all behind the walls. House amps are pretty much just a bandaid that masks the true problem. Definitely run new lines before resorting to an amp.

·
Registered
22,847 Posts
If your cable hookup is included in your rent (in other words... you don't personally get billed by the cableco), then discuss your concerns with your landlord. Ask if he/she can request a cable tech to diagnose/resolve any issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts