AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got info here and currently have a good macbook that I take with a portable harddrive internationally (to Holland) with various plugs and converters AND it works absolutely awesomely!

NOW I want to be able to take my iPhone internationally and use it when i am out and about rather than lug my macbook all around the city.

I looked on AT&T but I was confused!

I posted all the info from AT&T at the bottom of the post, highlighted the areas I am interested in most also

can someone explain how the iphone international calling plans work?

(or if there is a BETTER phone/provider I should use please explain how they work and WHY they are better for international A/V)

voice is simple enough, dont need any help there but the data plans range from $25 to $200 and then they say OTHER CHARGES MAY APPLY... anyone ever do this stuff? can someone explain it to me?

I wanna be able to search the internet, use apps like pandora/youtube/twitter/etc, and use GPS etc I think you get the idea... pretty much everything the phone can do with data A/V

but I also wanna know how much I am gonna need to spend????

is it worth it to spend the extra money on a larger MB plan or are the other charges so much that it makes it not worth it

here is the statement that worries me the most

International data roaming can get expensive quickly.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

whoa... I am CONFUSED!

does the international roaming charges apply IN ADDITION to the cost of the plan? or does having one of those MB plans save you the roaming charges... and if so how much will it cost to use the phone for this SAME function with a plan? would it just be charged for the MB used and nothing extra other than paying for the plan OR do you need a plan but will STILL pay roaming charges or something like that...

this COULD be really really expensive

anybody got any examples of how much they pay to use their data functions on their smartphone/pda/iPhone internationally?

ok so here is what I found from AT&T

"DATA PACKAGES

Data Global Add-Ons for BlackBerry®, iPhone, smartphone, and other devices*

*Quick Messaging and Touch devices

Keep up with email and browse the Web with your BlackBerry, iPhone++, smartphone, and other devices* when you travel abroad. AT&T has created Data Global Add-Ons with lower rates in over 90 countries. Discounted Countries are subject to change. For a complete list of discounted countries visit att.com/dataconnectglobal for current information.

There are four packages available:

* $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within over 90 countries

* $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within over 90 countries

* $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within over 90 countries

* $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within over 90 countries

*Quick Messaging and Touch devices

20 MB Data Global Add-On

Overage rate is $0.005/KB within the over 90 discounted countries.

Rate outside these discounted countries is $0.0195/KB.

Does not include data usage within the U.S. Qualified domestic plan required.

Call 1-800-331-0500 to sign up now.

50 MB Data Global Add-On

Rate outside these discounted countries is $0.010/KB.1

100 MB Data Global Add-On

200 MB Data Global Add-On

1 Rate outside the over 90 countries is $0.010/KB except in Algeria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Brunei, Faroe Islands, Kuwait, Macedonia (former Yugoslavia), Maldives, Mongolia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Turkey, and Venezuela where the rate is $0.0195/KB.

Other restrictions and terms and conditions apply for data.

++ While using data on iPhone is unlimited within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, international data roaming can get expensive quickly as international roaming rates apply. Voice and data usage, including data usage incurred from delivery of Visual Voicemail messages, will be charged at international rates. For a complete list of countries visit att.com/dataconnectglobal and rates visit att.com/worldpackages . AT&T offers these iPhone International traveling tips to help you keep control of data usage.

Please Note:

1 MB = 1024KB

$0.0195/KB = about $20/MB

$0.010/KB = about $10/MB

$0.005/KB = about $5/MB"

You can travel the world with your iPhone

AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your iPhone++ is indispensable to you. That's why we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data plan. Any voice or data usage outside the domestic coverage area is considered as an International Roaming charge.

International roaming and data usage is not covered under your existing data plan.

With iPhone's many Internet-based applications, it's natural for users to use more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices.

International data roaming can get expensive quickly.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

What can you do to minimize your international data charges?

Turn Data Roaming "OFF": Be sure to download and install the latest version of iPhone software from iTunes. By default, this setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position.

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming

Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.

Turn Fetch New Data OFF: Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality, tap on Settings>Fetch New Data, change Push to OFF and Select to Fetch Manually

Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: Purchasing an international data package can significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad. AT&T now offers four discount international data packages.

o

$24.99 per month - 20 MB Data Global Plan (20 MB of usage in over 90 countries*. Overage is $0.005/KB)

o

$59.99 per month - 50 MB Data Global Plan (50 MB of usage in over 90 countries*. Overage is $0.005/KB)

o

$119.99 per month - 100 MB Data Global Plan1 (100 MB of usage in over 90 countries*. Overage is $0.005/KB)

o

$199.99 per month - 200 MB Data Global Plan1 (200 MB of usage in over 90 countries*. Overage is $0.005/KB)

1 Available on the iPhone only.

* For a list of countries visit att.com/dataconnectglobal for current information.

20 MB Data Global Add-On

Rate outside these discounted countries is $0.0195/KB.

50 MB Data Global Add-On

Rate outside these discounted countries is $0.010/KB.2

100 MB Data Global Add-On1

Does not include data usage with the U.S. Qualified domestic plan required.

200 MB Data Global Add-On1

Does not include data usage with the U.S. Qualified domestic plan required.

1 Available on the iPhone only.

2 Rate outside the over 90 discounted countries is $0.010/KB except in Algeria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Brunei, Faroe Islands, Kuwait, Macedonia (former Yugoslavia), Maldives, Mongolia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Turkey, and Venezuela where the rate is $0.0195/KB.

Other restrictions and terms and conditions apply for data.

++While using data on iPhone is unlimited within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, international data roaming can get expensive quickly as international roaming rates apply. Voice and data usage, including data usage incurred from delivery of Visual Voicemail messages, will be charged at international rates. For a complete list of countries and rates visit att.com/wirelessinternational . AT&T offers these iPhone International traveling tips to help you keep control of data usage.

* Reset the usage tracker to zero: When you arrive overseas access the usage tracker in the general settings menu and select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage.

To reset the usage tracker to zero tap on Settings>General>Usage>Reset

Why does iPhone use more data than other devices?

* Full HTML email: All data associated with emails are downloaded to iPhone, including full attachments and associated graphics

* Automatic check for email: Customers who set their device to automatically check for email in 15-, 30-, or 60-minute intervals are incurring international data charges, even if no email is downloaded.

* Enhanced Internet experience: The Safari browser supports full HTML browsing for a more enhanced experience, which uses significantly more data than a WAP browser on a standard handset or PDA.

* Feature-rich applications: iPhone applications like Google Maps, YouTube, and others, depending on frequency of usage, can use a large amount of data

Data Service Terms and Conditions

1 - 2 of 2 Posts