AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking in the forums........searching, learning, exploring, waiting until i could get up the nerve (actually it is money and time) to attempt to build at least something close to the unbelievable home theaters that you guys are building. So I have decided to start the process of a least getting a good plan as to what I am going to do.

So here is my story.

I have been an audioholic every since my young teen years and had always dreamed of owning a home that would be worthy of a home theater. That dream became a reality last year and I built a new house and dedicated the room over the garage as an entertainment room.

The room currently has a respectable setup in it as is but I am looking to take it to the next level.

Ive got it wired with a projector (screenplay 4803), polk rti8 fronts, csi5 center and polk fxiA4 surrounds all hooked to an onkyo 605 and bic h-100 sub.

With the typically home theater sectional.

So I am looking for any help that anyone has to offer in the design of my new theater that I am dubbing "Next Level". Attached is a diagram of the room and i looking for thoughts and setup ideas as it pertains to working around the "knee walls" and unusual cuts in the back of the room.

I'm going to be doing most of the work myself and contracting what I can't do. Which hopefully isn't much.

Im desperate to get to the "Next Level"

Please help me out if you can spare some thoughts.

Thanks in advance

fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I will start with a few questions

What are some ways to get some decent sound isolation from an existing room? Another layer of drywall over the existing layer?

Also what are some thoughts on handling the knee walled ceiling.

I've got some ideas that I'm going to sketch out on the layout. A bar area on the 6' wall in the back. Media enclosure on the 4'6" location.

I think I am going to use my existing speakers and upgrade as I go.

The projector is the first piece of equipment that I am going to upgrade. Going to something like the panny ax200

Already have xbox 360, sony blu ray and hddvr in the room.

Two rows of theater seating on a riser.

My house is already equiped with radioRA lighting equipment. I saw on the site that they have a grafik RA interface. Has anyone used that in conjunction with the RA system?

oh yeah I am a fellow viriginian as well...

-fish

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Fish - Welcome to the madness. My suggestion is that you take some photos and post them to your thread. I for one don't really understand the diagram. Then I would spend some time reading through the various build threads to get some grasp of the basics involved in building a theater room. There are dozens of threads that discuss in detail the various sound isolation techniques - from isolating the walls and ceiling using different types of clips, hat track, double drywall, green glue, etc. And if all of this is still too daunting, consider getting some pro help. There are a number of guys on this forum who can design the space based on your needs and budget.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Cathan.

I've been going thru the threads and have come up with some ideas that I may run across the forum.

Ill get the picture up as well.

Thanks

fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some shots of the room when without the carpet installed.

These may help with the diagrams in the first thread.

It currently has thick cut berber carpet on the floor. Some of the challenges are what to do with the dormer area. I am currently projecting onto the wall pictured with an infocus project.

Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

fish

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheerman /forum/post/13021806

What are some ways to get some decent sound isolation from an existing room? Another layer of drywall over the existing layer?

At this late stage of construction, that is about your only option.
But you need to do this for all the walls and the ceiling, not just a single wall. And a layer of Green Glue between the drywall layers would further increase sound isolation.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well some events have surfaced that has changed my outlook into going all out on my current theater. Specifically that I may start a new residence next year and it will definitely have a dedicated all out theater.

That being said I haven't giving up on improving my existing space and adding some upgrades to my current location. So instead of it going to the "Next Level" I may just get it to a "Better Level"

Here is what I am thinking.

1. Obtain a descent home theater sectional that is configurable into theater couch for possible use in the back row. My wife says if we ever do a riser that she wants a couch she can lay down on. No argueing with that.

2. Put some color on the walls. I'm going to go with a flat black screen wall and a painted screen as designed in the DIY painted screen section of AVS

The room is going to be either a oliver dark green or dark brown.

3. Install my upgraded components. Do you believe that I've had a Onkyo 605 lying around for months going to replace a pioneer 1015. Speakers are upgrades from polk r50s to polk RTI8's. Rears are upgrades from polk R30s to polk FXIA4s

4. Get some window treatments for the bay window that is in the room. The current shades just ain't cutting enough light out.

5. Beef up the door. It a standard interior door and I was thinking of replacing it with a solid core door and some weather stripping. I know that is were a lot of the sound is creeping out during the shows.

6. (This one I am debating on) Sound treatments on the front wall. I am thinking of doing some removable panels but not really sure if I want to spend the money and time on this as I am not staying. Does anyone got some advice for some inexpensive removeable sound treatment that might work in my situation?

Hopefully this will feed my bug until the new construction starts

Well it is time to get started

fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First up is the screen wall. Going to have a 98" painted screen using light gray mix N9 based on tiddlers reqs in the DIY screen section. The wall is going to be flat black. Went to HD and got a gallon of the blackest stuff the guy could mix and a quart of the gray mix for the screen

Here is what the room start as

Test fitting and masking the screen area

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let the painting start. Even with the first stroke I could tell this was going to have a significant impact on the image.

Finished application of the black to screen wall

All I can say is wow. Even though the screen itself isn't painted yet it is night and day looking at the screen. The image looks like it is floating on the wall.

Tomorrow I am going to be painting the screen and the rest of the room.

-fish

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Fisheerman!!! Stop!!! (just kidding
). But, seriously, that wall looks mighty big, have you considered painting a larger screen? There has yet to be a forum member who wants a smaller screen once their project is finished. Anyway, great work!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I actually thought about going "a lot" bigger with the screen but at the moment I only have an infocus 4805 (480 projector) which is a great projector but as the image gets larger than about a 100" or so I start to see the dreaded "screen door effect" from my seating position. I'm about 12.5' -13 ' from the screen. I am planning on ordering a new panasonic ax200 but that is still a little ways down the road.

Off to finish up the screen paint.

fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the screen wall turned out awesome. I painted the screen wall with a slight grey tint and the black levels were night and day. I also started painting the rest of the room. Settled on a really cool olive/greenish tint called "carriage door" made by BEHR.

Here are some shots of the screen wall all painted up and some carriage door going on the walls.

I am amazed at the difference the dark colors are adding to my room. It almost starting to feel like a HT.......

Next up is to finish the paint.. I am thinking of adding some trim to the screen wall to give it that screen look.

-fish

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Interesting thread. I was actually considering doing a painted screen for HT 1.0 so that I can later spend my money on a 2:35.1 screen and anamorphic lens later. This would help me get my projector faster (by at least a year).

So, what paint are you considering for the screen?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntode /forum/post/13135831

Interesting thread. I was actually considering doing a painted screen for HT 1.0 so that I can later spend my money on a 2:35.1 screen and anamorphic lens later. This would help me get my projector faster (by at least a year).

So, what paint are you considering for the screen?

Everything you ever wanted to know about painted screens can be found at tiddlers DIY painted screen thread located here

DIY Painted Screen Link

That being said I went with the light grey N9 formula for the BEHR Flat UPW #1050. The reason I went with this color is that I have very little ambient light and I didn't want to loose much gain (my projector is an infocus 4805)

but I wanted to increase my black levels a little.

For a cheap fast DIY screen I don't think you can beat painted screens.

The image looks awesome as well.

-fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I bit the bullet today and pulled the trigger on an upgrade to my existing Infocus 4805.

I went with an Optomo HD70. Price was to good to pass up.

I'd planned on upgrading to the PT-Ax200u but after doing alot of research I just decided that a lot of the additional features and quality just wasn't worth about double the cost of the HD70.

To tell you the truth I wouldve been happy sticking with my 4805 I always thought it had an awesome picture but in the new setup it is showing a little more SDE than I would like.

So I am going to ebay it and invest the dollars in other things for the theater.

Oh yeah the painting is complete and Ill post somemore pics when I get a chance.

-fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got a call from our well known advertiser about my new projector. Apparently they had more orders than they could fill and are hoping to get mine to me by the end of the week. I'm very excited to see what a 720p projector is going to look like in my room.

Anyway some updated pics of the room with all the painting done.

I think the colors turned out awesome!

rear shot and you can see the seating. I'm thinking making this into a reclining couch and getting another set of seating and building a riser
(man this habit is addicting/expensive!)

You can see the DIY screen painted on the wall. The paint is behr #1050 Flat N9 from the DIY screen section of this site. just a hint of grey. It does wonders for the black levels

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've also been playing around with the blender intro files that are in some of the threads on the forum. Man this is some cool stuff. I was able to get the hang of the program pretty easily with the tutorials that are out there and get this avi up and running off of a jump drive on my xbox 360.

Thought this was a good fit........

Anyone got some suggestions or ideas to automate this into the theater experience? I'd like to do something like have it run off of the 360 when complete and dump right into the movie.

Next up on the todo list

-get the room cleaned up

-get the fxi a4s mounted as high on the knee wall as possible.

-find some nice trim for the screen

-window treatments

-sound treatements (still looking for ideas?)

updates coming soon.......

fish

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's looking very nice!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
more upgrades...............

so i got up this morning and started surfing the net and came across a deal I couldn't pass on. Amazon was running the $100 off of the Logitech 1000 plus RF extender package as well as an additional $100 dollars off the Logitech 1000. So I couldn't resist and jumped on a new Logitech 1000 with RF extender for the low price of $279.99.

As it turns out the deal ($100 off) also applied to the Logitech 890 that includes the RF module. So yep up went ahead and purchased that one as well for $199.99.

I put my existing 880 and new 550 that never made it out of the pack on ebay.

So as of right know I guess I am the owner of 4 harmony remotes

I'm thinking that in the no so distance future that Ill probably do something with my existing equipment rack and the RF will come in handy.

-fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the thinking was I was quickly going to mount my Polk FXI surrounds and be done with it....

Well just like everything else it turned out to be a little more challenging.

When I wired the room up i had planned on bookshelf polk rtis on 42" pedestal stands so i wired the rear wires coming from the floor up thru the pedestal. I decided to get the fxi up as high on the knee wall as possible so this meant redoing the wiring. What a pain.

Anyway here are some shots of the labor and new termination.

I think it turned out well with no visible wires and a slick mount.

Cutting the holes and getting the new work boxes, wire and fish tape ran

Wire terminated. I ended up having to use a very flexible wire coming right our of the wall instead of the speaker terminals for clearance.

And the finished speaker all mounted up with wires hidden

Now that the surrounds are done I'm moving on to the entry door.

Going install a solid core door and beef up the weather stripping.

Hoping the new projector arrives soon

-fish

1 - 20 of 33 Posts