AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Buy is delivering my PT-47WX49 tomorrow. Seeing as how I've been trying my best to find reviews on this set without much luck... I will post all my findings about this set after I get over the honeymoon period. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If you have any questions you would like answered about this set, I will do my best to help you out. I'm sure you'll see a bunch of questions from me over the next few weeks also.

Patrick

·
Registered
866 Posts
Patrick:
  • what price did you pay? (not trying to be rude)
  • did they have one on display? The Best Buy by me did not have one out yet.
  • what does the picture look like right out of the box?
  • how is the remote?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Are you going to be setting it up with Avia? If so, I'm curious what the red % is like in the color decoder check after setting the color control with the blue filter.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave-

1899 from Best Buy in Nashville, and they did not have one on display yet.

JohnnyG-

Is this the same JohnnyG in the HTF? After reading all those posts about this set, I'm picking up Avia tonight. I already have Video Essentials.... but I'm guessing Avia has some different options. I'll let you know.

Besessen-

Great links! I'll reread through all of this tonight and get ready to tweak my set tomorrow night.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Patrick, yup, one and the same. (I actually don't care for being called 'Johnny' either - go figure!)

Avia has a Color Decoder Check screen and comes with 3 differenct color filters for this purpose. I'm positive your Panny will exhibit red-push. The question is how much.

If you check through the topics on Home Theater Forum, you'll find a way to balance the color decoder. I believe the thread is titled 'Panasonic red push - the fix is in!'. If you have any questions about this, let me know.

------------------

John Golitsis

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada www.nbtelectronics.com

[This message has been edited by JohnnyG (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. I have managed to pry myself away from my set, write my review and answer some questions. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Some advice for anyone that buys this set, remind the delivery guys as they are taking the set out of the box that it has no screen protector. Then explain that this means they should be extra careful not to touch the screen. The guys delivering my set did not touch it, but they came very close to letting the palm of their hands touch it as they lifted it. Besides that, my experience with the delivery from Best Buy was excellent. They told me I was the first person they had delivered this set to. Plus, they complemented my home theater. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Out of the box, I was disappointed with the picture quality. I immediately turned down the contrast. I popped in The Emperor’s New Grove (the closest DVD to the set) and was not “wowedâ€. Now, I’ve been used to my user calibrated Sony 27†that Video Essentials helped me out on, so that may have been part of it. I had planned on calibrating the set later, but the newness of the set made me want to try out all my components ASAP. I decided to do a little fiddling with the settings and realized I had left sharpness all the way up. Doh! So word to the wise…. turn contras AND sharpness down first thing when you get your set.

I tried out my Tivo with the different viewing modes for 4x3 material. Again, not impressed with these modes. I think that would be the same for me with all 16x9 sets. I have the bug now… I want widescreen programming. I mainly use the “JUST†option, which supposedly stretches the edges more than the middle, but in my opinion, isn’t that different from “WIDEâ€.

I calibrated the set as best I could with Video Essentials, but I noticed a orangeish half moon on the pluge test on VE…. This must be the set. Now, this was not caused by any light reflection from my room… it was completely dark. The “half moon†was not visible in movies or anything else… just on the pluge test. Has anyone else with this set seen this? Anyway, my own settings cannot get the black level of this set down to the level it was with my Sony 27â€. I’m positive an ISF tech can change that.

As I watched some test scenes from 2:35 DVDs, I noticed that any scene with bright colors changed the color of the black bars. From the research I have done, this could be caused by light reflections inside the cabinet of the set. Again correctable and only noticeable to myself… none of my visiting friends complained.

The first movie I watched was “Chasing Amyâ€. Note to all out there… this film is 16mm based and NOT a good demo movie for friends. Great movie though. I decided that the next day I would try to do a better job calibrating the set, seeing as how I was not pleased with the picture quality yet.

I fully color calibrated the set using VE as best I could on Sunday. I popped in Toy Story 2 and was very pleased with the picture. The thing that bugged me was that every scene I watched had a red tint to it. The room the toys are in looked like the sun was setting all the time and left a red glow to the room. The scene with the orange cones the toys used to get across the street was almost unwatchable because of the glowing orange color. Now, this was kinda normal for me because my Sony set had this “red push†also. But after reading the links of other another forum above talking about the red push of this set, I started to get annoyed.

JohnnyG has done his homework and posted how to eliminate the “red push†from the TV using some settings in the service menu. I made the changes to the set and recalibrated the color using VE. I also turned the contrast all the way down to eliminate the really, really bright picture this set has.

I popped back in Toy Story 2. First off… I noticed my arrow on my DVD player was yellow instead of orange. This kinda threw me. I was impressed with the color in the menu of TS2, but the real surprise came when I looked at the first room scene again. The room looked totally different. The table was a light brown instead of red oak! So many things were different! I was shocked! At this point, I ran and got my friend from watching TV upstairs to check out the set. I showed him the same scene from TS2. He was shocked also. He couldn’t believe the detail in the dinosaur and the color. He said the room walls looked great.

Now the real test began: the DVD Bring it On. The opening scene of this movie killed my Sony with reds. Everything looked like it glowed red. I tested it previously on this set and had the same problem. But this time my jaw hit the floor! The red uniforms were dark red and the gym floor… my God it wasn’t a dark red oak it was a light wood! Skin colors are incredible! Everyone looked like they were blushing, but now you can see the different tans of the cheerleaders! My friend and I were shocked at the difference proper color can make.

Now, I was concerned that the yellow arrow on my DVD player indicated yellow color was off the proper amount. I checked VE again and the yellow was perfect. So for 5 months I have been looking at an orange arrow that was really yellow! How messed up is that?

This set rules now! I am very pleased with the picture quality. The few things that tick me off (black level, the “half moon†and the light reflection) are fixable by an ISF tech and some research. At the price I paid, I feel I got a great deal. Now if only I can find a way to buy a HDTV set-top decoder…

Answers to questions on this tread:

Dave Beebe- I really like the size of the remote. I hate how you navigate the picture settings with this set. Try out the color settings on a demo model somewhere and you’ll see what I mean.

JohnnyG- Every store around me was sold out of Avia! This set definitely had the red push you were talking about out of the box. I have noticed after I used your service menu settings that the color is great… but it seems kinda washed out to what I am used to. Is this just what color is supposed to look like now that it is (as close as I can get without and ISF tech) color corrected?

Besessen- Thanks, I’m happy with my purchase from Best Buy. The local HHG was advertising 1799 for the same set this weekend. I’m going to try and get Best Buy to match that.

[This message has been edited by patrickhurt (edited 07-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by patrickhurt (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Patrick, it sounds like you're off to a good start! Keep hunting for Avia - without it and it's Color Decoder Check screen, you're still just 'guessing'. Those before/after figures I posted WILL be different for every set.

Keep us posted, but most of all, ENJOY!

------------------

John Golitsis

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JohnnyG-

So those service menu settings vary depending on what the Avia disk color decoder check screen shows? I was not under the impression that the service menu settings were real time....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.