AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy the Sony 36XBR450 and the Rat Shack Bow Tie, is there a way to figure out whether I'm getting the HDTV signals before investing in the STB ?

I live in Inner Richmond area on Geary Blvd. What are my chances that this will work ? I live in an apartment so roof top antenna is not an option even though I have DirecTV.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You have to just risk it. But chances are very good. I live in Potrero Hill and I get KGO and KPIX with the bowtie. NBC is a problem. But you'll be glued to woohootube. Go ferit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You don't have to risk purchasing your STB. Just make sure you purchase it from a store that offers a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee, i.e. Best Buy, CC, Crutchfield, etc.

I like buying from Crutchfield online since you won't have to put up with the warranty pitch. In your case, you wouldn't have to pay state tax either. They also offer open box deals in their outlet store. I saw they had the Sony STB for $80 off. If you don't like your reception you can send it back without any hassles. Check them out before you buy at www.crutchfield.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't think anyone stated the obvious. If you can see Sutro Tower, you can get the stations.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since line of sight is no problem, and your only a couple of miles away from Sutro, and they use a zillion watts of power (ok that's an exaggeration) an indoor antenna should work fine. A good directional antenna would probably overload the receiver.

Try it. You stand a high likelihood of it working just fine. Also, if local UHF is good and strong, DTV should be fine.

As Jorge said, just buy it from somewhere that takes returns. That will make you feel better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have not tried this, but I'm told it works.

Hook a regular old indoor antenna (even better if you do it with the antenna you propose to use) to your regular old analog television. Tune it to Channel 20, which broadcasts from Sutro, and is UHF like the HDTV signals.

If you get a good picture you should be OK for HDTV reception from the same setup. Not incredibly scientific, but a whole lot cheaper.

-Curtis

·
Registered
174 Posts
ny888-

I don't see anything in your original post about a set top box. You do know that you can't plug a double bow tie into the tv and get HDTV, right?

As far as I know the XBR dose not have an integrated HD tuner...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pcold - yes, i know that. Right now I'm leaning towards the DST-3000 (only $449 at Video Only). They also had the Toshiba 34HF81 for $2300 and was willing to deal. I'm considering that over the XBR now.

SFWidescreen - I just tried what you said with a $25 rabbit ear rat shack antenna. Picked up WB 25 pretty good. Not the best picture but still very good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ny888,

Make sure to check out the geometry of the 34HF81. A buddy of mine noticed a substantial amont of vertical and horizontal nonlinearity when cruising through the onscreen menus. I believe there is another post in this forum regarding the geometry.

Good luck,

Mecha

·
Registered
98 Posts
I noticed that the tickers that scroll on news stations were sloping down on the left. But the Tosh a simple "Tilt" command in the menu to fix that. I went to -8, I think.

There is a little amount of overscan on the edges over vertical lines, primarily when viewed with the gray bars on in the "0" mode (when viewing NTSC). But I think that an ISF alignment will fix that. I'm waiting for 100 hours of use, which should be in a few weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good news on WB20. Let us know your experience when you hook up the real HDTV thing. Good Luck.

-Curtis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.