AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have been reading the DIY section for about three days straight now. I have read all the guides and tip and info about mixing your own paint and I am very excited about giving it a go.

Originally I was going to go with a "mfg" paint on screen, but I want to future proof my wall for 3D and the cost of some of the paints is extortionate.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want but I just need confirmation and some Tips.

My Setup"

I have an Acer 6510BD 1920x1080 resolution DLP, 3000 ANSI lumens, the throw distance is around 4.9m and I have a 140" image. It says it supports FULL 3D but I am not sure what kind of 3D is it (sterioscopic?)

Currently it is projected onto and white standard wash and wear dulux paint, which has a slight tint of gray, but to my eyes its pretty much white. It looks great at night though I think it could be better as the blacks are not that black.

The problem is even with the curtains shut I get quite a bit of ambient light during the day coming through and it can hard to see some scenes. We do a bit a viewing when there is ambient light so what kind of paint should I go for. I am likely to just paint the whole wall.

I need a paint that performs well with ambient light and can handle 3D. Although as I currently do not have an AVR that supports HDMI 1.3 passthrough this is not a big deal but I would like to future proof my wall for when I do get a new AVR.

I have a Wagner Spray gun (compressorless) it should do the trick. But I hate painting and anything overly complex such as several layers of paint, I am bound to mess it up. I could probably handle two-three. So simple is best for me.

My problem is I live in New Zealand so getting all the paints might be an issue for me.

So what paint solution would be recommended for my setup? I was thinking black widow looked like an option or some of the other options posted on these forums.

Here is the pictures of my setup in heavy ambient light (usually I would have the blinds down). Photo's are poor quality from my phone. And every thing is a mess at the moment as I just put the projector up.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,177 Posts
Hi Jessie,

Welcome to the Forum.

Only got a minute, but I will try to respond in depth this evening. Suffice it to say that there is a viable solution...but it also must be added that at least some effort to mitigate ambient light be made when combining both an appreciable screen size and the need for both gain & contrast enhancement.

The gain part...easy enough, but with gain alone comes a lessor degree of ambient light resistance. A darker screen with gain comes next, but there are only specific ways to accomplish such, and that involves the use of specific paints.They all are or can be made available via sourcing on the web or through Members with extra components left over. There are affordable ways to ship.

Sooooo....................stay tuned. While you wait, go catch your Second Breakfast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1521925/taking-the-plunge-going-to-paint-my-wall-need-a-bit-of-advice-140#post_24465221

Hi Jessie,

.but it also must be added that at least some effort to mitigate ambient light be made when combining both an appreciable screen size and the need for both gain & contrast enhancement.

Hi thanks look forward to your recommendation and I wasn't sure if i could ship it or not.

I can't really do much about the ambient light situation as wife will not let me put anything up over the gaps in the blinds, but note those photos were taken with the blinds open. Tthe good news is this doesn't matter much as during the day we are just watching the news and the odd TV series so the doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be watchable. Currently it is not watchable during the day in some scenes, this is the main thing I want to sort out.

We do have that step in the ceiling which would allow me to put a curtain around the entire area to make it fully dark this is something I will have to work on with the wife at a future date. But there is times if I did have a curtain it would be open so we can watch TV while cooking etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts