AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question- is it possible to take a two disk set- such as LORD OF THE RINGS SPECIAL EDITION and rip it to the hard drive, then play both disks- one after the other- in one continuous fashion?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
It's possible, but it's too much work for the trouble. After ripping the files from both disks into a single directory (which probably entails starting with two seperate directories and renaming files to avoid filename duplicates), you would essentially use a DVD mastering program to remaster the files into one virtual DVD. This work would only apply for the period of time the virtual DVD fileset remains on the drive - you cannot copy such to a single piece of DVD-R/RW media because of size.

Gary

·
Registered
376 Posts
no need for remastering if you just play the VOB files. Indeed, you would have to rename the second disk, but should be no problem.

In fact, I've already done this iansilv. I used dvd-decrypter to rip both disks, renamed the vobs for disk 2 so that they are sequencial to disk one, opened them all in zoomplayer, and that's it. Whole process took maybe 25 minutes. If you want menus and stuff (which shouldn't matter because there are no extras on the LOTR movie disks), then it would get more complicated.

·
Registered
697 Posts
if you wanna play them one after the other ,

the first ripped movie-open folder -start to rename vob1 as 1\\\\vob2 as 2 till you finished. lets say you finished at 7.

then go to second ripped movie open the folder start to rename the vob1 as 8 until you done,

go power dvd or what ever player you have open folder then add from 1 to whater ever you end with

·
Registered
335 Posts
you might be able to get away with making a playlist of VOBs, but some movies require the information (chapter info?) from the IFO file to know how to playback the movie. Case in point, I saw a post where a guy tried to copy just the VOBs for sleepy hallow, and when he played it back the movie was out of order. Just make sure after you rip it you watch the whole movie, so you dont get any surprises like the sleepy hallow guy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Use Smart Ripper and IFO edit.

Rip the movie files from the DVD to your hard drive. Usually VTS_01_0# (# for next vob and so on) are the movie VOB files. Rename the second disk to start where VTS_01_0# ends. Then use IFO edit to create a new IFO (Button Create IFO) select the first VTS_ file and select and name the output ifo file. Then you should have both disc as one on your hard drive.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Hey,

What about 2 drives? Could it be done that way? I could get a second DVD drive cheap.

Don't know if I could sit through the whole thing without an intermission though.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
148 Posts
you would buy an extra dvd-rom just to play 2 discs 1 after the other? If you need a break(presumably after the first disc), then you could just change the disc.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hugenbdd
Use Smart Ripper and IFO edit.

Rip the movie files from the DVD to your hard drive. Usually VTS_01_0# (# for next vob and so on) are the movie VOB files. Rename the second disk to start where VTS_01_0# ends. Then use IFO edit to create a new IFO (Button Create IFO) select the first VTS_ file and select and name the output ifo file. Then you should have both disc as one on your hard drive.
Is there any way to retain chaptering using this method?

I see one can save celltimes to a text file and I guess it is relatively easy to convert celltimes from the 2nd disc into extended celltimes for a combination of the 2 discs, but how does one convert celltimes back into chapter markers in the ifo?

Ian

·
Registered
423 Posts
i asked this same question a couple of weeks ago here:

rip lotr-ee to hard drive so it plays without interruption?

responses were generally the same. i think getting the movie to play continuously is no problem using zoomplayer using a playlist, but i was never able to get the chapter info right using dvd decrypter and ifoedit. renaming the vob's and creating new ifo information with ifoedit resulted in a chapter list with anywhere from 10 to 20 extra chapters (i tried multiple times with different settings), and somewhere in the middle of the vob's from the second disc, the movie would skip back to a chapter in the first disc.

it didn't matter in the end anyway, because when we watched the movie, it turned out that everyone wanted to take a little break after the first disc. it's a pretty long movie....

trying to do all this was "worth it", though, because i found the two "hidden" features on the vob2's on each disc--the mtv spoof of "the council of elrond" scene on the first disc, and the preview for "the two towers" on the second disc. you can get at them the easy way here:

http://www.cheathappens.com/show_cht.asp?ID=11809

bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.