AVS Forum banner

Tales of Xillia coming to the West

1K views 50 replies 5 participants last post by  PENDRAG0ON 
#1 ·

Quote:
Finally. Namco Bandai is bringing PS3 action-RPG Tales of Xillia to the West, the company said at a fan conference today.

Namco's Hideo Baba said it would be "localized for Western Markets," though he did not specify whether that refers to Europe, the U.S., or both. But the company later confirmed on one of its Twitter accounts that Xillia will be coming to Europe, Australia, and the United States.

Released in Japan last September, Xillia was a success both critically and commercially.
http://kotaku.com/5923905/tales-of-xillia-is-coming-to-the-us

See less See more
#3 ·
YES! This is the game I've been waiting for. More hyped for this than I was for FFXIII. Finished off Graces F now, and that's a GREAT game. I have high hopes for Xillia. Also, Xillia-2 sometime in 2014 (hopefully 1st quarter)

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to get the game right away. Have to wait a month or so before I can pick it up. Oh well. Should have put it on pre-order. Won't make that mistake with Xillia-2 and Symphonia Chronicles.

#4 ·
Can someone explain the combat of this game to me?

I love games like this, but I hate super fast combat that feels like nothing more than button mashing. I watched a combat video of the game and in 3 minutes of watching I still had no idea what was going on or how you even controlled the characters.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23608036

Can someone explain the combat of this game to me?

I love games like this, but I hate super fast combat that feels like nothing more than button mashing. I watched a combat video of the game and in 3 minutes of watching I still had no idea what was going on or how you even controlled the characters.

The tales of games are action based jrpgs. as such you might be able to beat the game by button mashing, but the tales of games are a lot deeper than that. for those that take the time to master the combat system, it can be extremely rewarding.

I havent played tales of xillia yet, but i am currently playing tales of graces. i can tell you the combat goes far beyond button mashing. with tales of graces each character has a wealth of normal combat moves they can do by virtue of using the left analogue stick and the attack button (X) in combination (for example, up + X is one move. down + X is another move, so on and so forth) these can be chained to form strings of comboes and depending on what combination you use them in has the character perform a different set of moves.

Each individual move has specific parameters attatched to them as well. In typical rpg fashion, enemies will be vulnerable to certain attributes ande resistant to others. which moves you want to perform against a specific enemy becomes extremely important if you want to defeat the enemy quickly (which garners bonuses) so you have to pay attention to what moves you are comboing together.

In addition to this, each character has a list of special moves (ougi) they can perform. Each character eventually learns a pretty robust list of moves, so there's plenty of variety to be had. these moves must be mapped to the circle button and again are unleashed by a combination of the left analogue + O. The special moves are generally more damaging thant the normal attacks but in

many cases can be even more specialized in their utility (and these special moves include buff and debuff spells as well as healing)

In addition to this, you can map additional special attacks to your right analogue stick, including special moves from your AI controlled party members. so you can be fighting an opponent, get hit and instantly command your party's healer to cast a healing spell with the flick of the right analogue stick rather than having to open the menue (which you can do if you want to) or you can simply map more of your active characters special moves to the right stick to double up on the number of special moves in battle..

Also keep in mind that the normal attacks and special attacks can be comboed together and whwn used properly can build up some massive combos to absolutely own the enemies in the game.

This is what the combat should look like when you decipher the combat system and know what you are doing.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23609424

This is what the combat should look like when you decipher the combat system and know what you are doing.

Ya....I dont know about all that. Those combos look more like Skullgirls than a traditional JRPG to me. That seems like a lot of work for a standard battle, I hope you can level without having to do all that?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy*  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23622140

Ya....I dont know about all that. Those combos look more like Skullgirls than a traditional JRPG to me. That seems like a lot of work for a standard battle, I hope you can level without having to do all that?

Most battles are over in seconds (the Tales games offer "Grade" for how well you do in battle that can be used to buy stuff in a NG+ run, time is a big factor)

The core combat is less complex than Smash Bros and you can beat the game without ever digging deep into the combo system. (But if you do, oh man can you destroy bosses)

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23622163

Most battles are over in seconds (the Tales games offer "Grade" for how well you do in battle that can be used to buy stuff in a NG+ run, time is a big factor)

The core combat is less complex than Smash Bros and you can beat the game without ever digging deep into the combo system. (But if you do, oh man can you destroy bosses)

Exactly.

The game is designed to be easily accessible to the masses. That's why I mentioned that you can button mash your way through the game. But the game is built with the Veteran Tales gamer in mind and as such, the combat systems have gotten deeper and deeper as the series has progressed, culminating in both Graces F ridiculously awesome combat system and Xillia's combat system with the new Link Arts system. You don't need to delve into the intricacies of the combat system, but if you do and enjoy that sort of thing, there's not really any Action JRPG out there with a better combat system. For example, Tales trups Star Ocean by a pretty large margin.

#10 ·
They put an area with near end game enemies close to an early game point. (The mines) Needless to say, big mistake, skill trumps level in this game and it made for some easy grinding... There is a super boss in the cave though, so be careful if you go into the non story mine. (You have to crawl through a hole and an enemy is waiting right inside)

#11 ·
PENDRAG0ON, I've never played a Tales game, but was thinking about picking up Graces f. Are these related story-wise? I'm trying not to buy too many games for the PS3 since I'll be getting the PS4 at release. Which would you suggest if you could only get one? Graces f or Xillia?

#12 ·
Very few games are story related, but they all share a common theme. Symphonia and Phantasia are thousands of years apart for example. Graces and Xillia have nothing in common that I know of.

Graces theme is friendship, so be warned. It gets dark at times, but it is very light hearted overall. The gameplay was also designed around the Wii Remote, so it is different from most Tales games, definently not a good first for the series if you are jumping in.

Vesperia on 360 or Abyss on PS2/3DS are great starting points. Xillia may be a good starting point but there is a scene that really ticked off fans that I have yet to see but know the basics. I have to see the entire game before I can make a call on it. So far the skits are the best yet, which is saying a lot.

Always do the skits, they are the meat of the Tales series, the interactions are where the Story truly resides, the cliche stories are never the true selling points of the Tales series.

Speaking of skits, be careful grinding, some of the skits that trigger when you hit certain levels can spoil later character changes. Like one character may be depressed and detached from the start but be spunky in a later skit.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23645042

PENDRAG0ON, I've never played a Tales game, but was thinking about picking up Graces f. Are these related story-wise? I'm trying not to buy too many games for the PS3 since I'll be getting the PS4 at release. Which would you suggest if you could only get one? Graces f or Xillia?

You can start with either Graces F or Xillia, as the stories are not related. Graces F doesn't have a very strong story (the characters are great though) but the battlesystem is considered by many Tales fans to be the best of the series. I would happen to agree. The battlesystem is of particularly high quality. Very deep and satisfying.

I haven't played Xillia yet (planning to get it in a few weeks) but many Tales fans say it has one of the best stories in a Tales game. It is generally liked, but is being criticized for a lack of content compared to the usual Tales game (which are jam packed with content, so Xillia probably compares very favorably with other JRPG's content wise, it's just "light" for a Tales game)

Also keep in mind that Tales of Xillia 2 (direct continuation of Xillia) is coming in 2014, so if you like Xillia, there will be more to be had later.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23651646

Well... that was unexpected. Every Tales game has that twist where the story is turned on it's head, and Xillia's may be one of the most epic yet, and I barely know anything about what just happened!

Nice. But don't spoil too much. I probably have at least a month before I'll be able to get Xillia

#17 ·
The twist is a Tales staple, just like the spirits. Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces, and now Xillia, they all have a twist that changes the course of the story. I promise I won't spoil any of the details of any of them. (Especially with Symphonia getting a HD collection next year)

I was impressed because I didn't see it coming, usually they are obvious enough to see coming, but they have been steadily improving. Symphonia was painfully obvious hours in advance, Vesperia was out of left field to the point that it was overkill, but this one isn't a complete blindside in hindsight, which I am glad for.

#18 ·
I know about the twist...played through Abyss and playing through Graces F now. I might eventually do Vesperia but will need to get a 360 to do that. Maybe when the price drops below $150. The amount of content in Graces F is mind boggling. And I understand Vesperia is similar (especially the PS3 version...too bad we're not getting a localization of that). Can't wait to play Xillia and Xillia 2. Tales of is turning out the be the standout JRPG of the current age (along with Persona....if it ever decides to make a current gen appearance that is!)

#19 ·
Vesperia 360 still has my favorite cast, their chemistry remains unmatched. The way they all play off each other just works so well. I can't see the PS3 version doing any better, Patty may have been planned but she was cut for a reason. If my Japanese was better I would play it, it is my favorite Tales game after all.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23651793

Vesperia 360 still has my favorite cast, their chemistry remains unmatched. The way they all play off each other just works so well. I can't see the PS3 version doing any better, Patty may have been planned but she was cut for a reason. If my Japanese was better I would play it, it is my favorite Tales game after all.

If buying a 360 just to play Vesperia and Magna Carta 2 is not okay with the wife, I might just get the Japanese version and printout the (likely massive) script translations from the net. That would be a giant pain in the arse I would think though.

#22 ·
Well, final boss is beat and the super boss' are all finished. I still have some grinding to do to max out my levels and shops before I do a NG+ run for the other gold trophy. (Two branches to the story depending on who you choose to play as) Clocking in at 35-40 hours to finish the main story makes it the shortest Tales game yet, which is a bit of a let down, and aside from one scene it has a fantastic story, right up there with Vesperia's first two acts.

Some of the skill trophies will take forever to grind for, but I am aiming to Plat this one.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23652347

Very massive pain, and I like the English Cast better. Check the local pawn shops for an older console for dirt cheap and use it to play the exclusives you missed. Find one that includes some onboard memory, you probably won't need a hdd anyway.

There's a local pawn shop up the street. I'll probably check that place. Also, now that the next gen consoles are getting ready to come out, I'll check gamestop for people trading in their old consoles for credit on the new one. Hopefully They won't charge more than $100 for it, but I know how Gamestop can be about these sorts of things.

#25 ·
So...this is my first Tales game. I'm really digging the battle system, but I know I'm not taking full advantage of it. I'm not chaining my link artes. Is there some definitive online resource to help me maximize my use of the battle system?

I also started out on Easy, moved to Normal, and am about to crank up the difficulty as high as it will go. This game isn't that tough...or it could just be that it's easy near the beginning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.