AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Very massive pain, and I like the English Cast better. Check the local pawn shops for an older console for dirt cheap and use it to play the exclusives you missed. Find one that includes some onboard memory, you probably won't need a hdd anyway.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well, final boss is beat and the super boss' are all finished. I still have some grinding to do to max out my levels and shops before I do a NG+ run for the other gold trophy. (Two branches to the story depending on who you choose to play as) Clocking in at 35-40 hours to finish the main story makes it the shortest Tales game yet, which is a bit of a let down, and aside from one scene it has a fantastic story, right up there with Vesperia's first two acts.

Some of the skill trophies will take forever to grind for, but I am aiming to Plat this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23652347

Very massive pain, and I like the English Cast better. Check the local pawn shops for an older console for dirt cheap and use it to play the exclusives you missed. Find one that includes some onboard memory, you probably won't need a hdd anyway.

There's a local pawn shop up the street. I'll probably check that place. Also, now that the next gen consoles are getting ready to come out, I'll check gamestop for people trading in their old consoles for credit on the new one. Hopefully They won't charge more than $100 for it, but I know how Gamestop can be about these sorts of things.

So...this is my first Tales game. I'm really digging the battle system, but I know I'm not taking full advantage of it. I'm not chaining my link artes. Is there some definitive online resource to help me maximize my use of the battle system?

I also started out on Easy, moved to Normal, and am about to crank up the difficulty as high as it will go. This game isn't that tough...or it could just be that it's easy near the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23745935

The beginning it easy, and the difficulty scales up drastically as you move past normal, with no rewards for going higher.
Do you have any suggestions of where to go to learn the battle system better?

Discussion starter · #28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23745953

Do you have any suggestions of where to go to learn the battle system better?

Experiment, there are trophies for mastering each character and rewards for linking with everyone.

Jude and Milla have the most Link Arts, stick with artes that hit multiple enemies when Linked.

Learn to abuse the step back dodge, time it right with Jude and you snap pivot behind the enemy for added bonuses. It makes even the ultimate boss fairly easy.

Finally figured out the finer intricacies of the battle system last night. It's a lot more enjoyable now that I can chain linked artes together.

Really enjoying this game. What I assume to be the skits (characters talking in that card format) are hilarious.

Discussion starter · #30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23751592

Finally figured out the finer intricacies of the battle system last night. It's a lot more enjoyable now that I can chain linked artes together.

Really enjoying this game. What I assume to be the skits (characters talking in that card format) are hilarious.

The skits are one of the best parts of the Tales series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west#post_23751592

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

After you beat this one, while you are waiting for Tales of Xillia 2 to come out, you can go get Tales of Graces F and check out that combat system. (it's awesome) and see how much content usually goes into a Tales of game. (xillia is content lite compared to other games in the series)

I haven't yet mastered the combat system, but I'm getting closer. I just need to take the time and memorize my linked artes with a steady partner. I haven't ever chained more than two artes....

Nearly at the end of Chapter 2 on my first playthrough with Jude. While this is by no means a visual/gameplay masterpiece, I'm really enjoying it. The skits are hilarious and the combat keeps me interested. That said, I'll be flying through the second playthrough- I can't imagine being too intrigued by the story a second time around.

After this I'm going to play GTA V. If there's time between that and the PS4 arriving on my doorstep, I'll definitely pick up Tales of Graces F.

Finished the story last night. For a JRPG, the story was pretty good, though the skits are what makes the game "fun." Finished at exactly 35 hours. That seems very short....

Finally mastering the combat system will likely make the grind more enjoyable. I finished with everyone at about level 68, so it's going to take a while.

I love this game. Almost done with my first playthrough cleanup that included quite a few things I could have saved for Milla's run. If only I could find 7 more skits, I wouldn't need to spend any grade to watch them all.

By the way, my wife has zero interest in anything video game related, but she absolutely loves the theme song for Xillia.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Several skits and side quests are exclusive to each character, you can't finish them all in one go.

Progress is my favorite theme song in the series, too bad the collector's edition sound track didn't include it, had to import it.

Discussion starter · #37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west/30#post_23815407

I've got 213 skits out of the 220 needed, surely I could find 7 more.

Is that for the trophy? The game has 241 skits, 10 exclusive to each character and several are missable. (Like not using gels for almost half the game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west/30#post_23816322

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad  /t/1418995/tales-of-xillia-coming-to-the-west/30#post_23815407

I've got 213 skits out of the 220 needed, surely I could find 7 more.

Is that for the trophy? The game has 241 skits, 10 exclusive to each character and several are missable. (Like not using gels for almost half the game)
Yes, it's for a trophy. I'll see if there's a list somewhere (probably on ps3trophies), but maybe I'll just use the grade to watch them all...AGAIN...and then reload my save. The only thing left to do on this playthrough is to loot 60 more times, which I'll finish tonight.

This game has made me want to pick up Tales of Graces f. I still have to play GTA V, but I may end up selling that back to Amazon to get Graces.

By the way, what the hell is a "Xillia?" Nowhere, that I've found, is it mentioned in the game.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.