AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why i should keep Directv after hearing that Dish will provide more?

Please anyone

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Why make decisions on speculative reports and what is only partially known plans?

Pull the trigger if you want, but I'd wait to see what is actually offered. D* will announce their plan soon.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Because:

1) Dish's plans are just that, plans, at least for now. They have to get a bird up in the air and actually follow through with what they have said they will do regarding HDTV. Please remember the Echostar CEO has a long history of saying one thing, and later things change. I have no doubt HDNet & HDNet Movies will show up on Dish, but beyond that....

2) Who knows what DirecTV has up their sleeve? It may be a while before there is enough content for the lack of their bandwidth to become a problem. What if they add ESPN & HDNet Movies & Discovery HD? Then what?

3) As I've said many times before, you'll need more than one provider to get all the HDTV available. If you already have DirecTV, stick with them for now. There will be lots of time later to add Dish or switch as needed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Was there an exact date announced when Dish gets those additional HD channels? I don't think so. I think the new channels are contingent on the successful launch of a new satellite later this year.

Dish tends to make announcements early for the PR factor but risks disappointing a whole lot of people if/when delays happen. It's happened before. Look at the HD STB with built-in DVR. It was unveiled last year at CES and it's still not on the market.

Directv waits to make announcemnets until all the ducks a lined up in a row, and things are ready to roll.

At this moment it doesn't appear that Directv has the immediate potential for adding an additional 50 HD channels, so Dish will have a big leg up if the new bird goes up without a hitch. If so, at that point it may be time to switch.

That being said, I wouldn't go to the cost and trouble of switching until I know it's a sure thing. I'd wait to see that Dish's new satellite is in the sky and working properly and the first of the new HD channels are switched on.

For all we know, Directv may still beat them to the punch and launch HDNet Movies and ESPN HD and add Discoverty Theater before Dish's new satellite takes off the launching pad. And for that matter, the Directv/TIVO HD STB may still make it to the market before the Dish HD DVR STB.

Bottom line, don't make decisions based on promises. What till they deliver the goods.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Was there an exact date announced when Dish gets those additional HD channels? I don't think so. I think the new channels are contingent on the successful launch of a new satellite later this year
No date was given. Assuming the new E*IX satellite (requiring the "Superdish") is used to deliver the Hdnet channels, as was implied by the press release, then that means that it will be at least August, and possibly September, before we see the new Hdnets on Dish Network. If you are considering a switch, you would do best to wait until the channel(s) are actually available.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
We all know that E* is big on Vaporware, always promising something that often never appears. Their track record on getting receivers out on time is nonexistent. they are often a year or more late, so don't hold your breath...

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Can someone tell me why i should keep Directv after hearing that Dish will provide more?
I will tell you and its the best reason......they have HD-NET right now. I would wait until Dish actually had more HD channels than DirecTv. I am excited by the Dish announcement too and I have DirecTv. Because I know if and when Dish does roll all these HD channels out then either DirecTv will provide me with these channels also or I will then switch to Dish. So wait and see what happens but I definitely wouldn't switch until the new HD channels are up and running on Dish.

Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
We all know that E* is big on Vaporware, always promising something that often never appears. Their track record on getting receivers out on time is nonexistent. they are often a year or more late, so don't hold your breath...
Well if you think about it, tons of Companies are big on Vaporware.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Only one reason to switch or even add DishNetwork NOW for you Raven. That is because you want DiscoveryHD or CBS HD right NOW.

If you have DirecTV now and later find you want DishNetwork, just add it. Invest in the hardware and then pick and choose your services as the best deals come along. THis is what I do now.

Lately, DirecTV has done some good things and non-DirecTV developments have also helped bring them up to speed too.

I'll explain-

In the past few months, DirecTV has added DD5.1 audio capability to both HDNet and their PPV HD channels. They have also added more HD PPV Movies and rotate them often. A few have been in OAR as well. Also, 169Time has fixed their AVX recording software so now there is a DirecTV recording to DVHS solution that is as reliable as the time proven Panny system with Dish Network. I can record to time shift or archive from either service equally. And they offer the NBA events in HD when they are on as well.

In that same time frame what has DishNet added? NBA events HD channel. Other than that, a bunch of promises of things to happen in a few months. Don't bank on promises. DirecTV doesn't promise, they tease with third party announced leakes to service and hardware. eg. we're in negotions but won't announce officially until we announce officially (eg Showtime in negotiations for 2.5 years!)and float hardware out that is exciting but no real time frame commitment(TIVO)

DirecTV is catching up but will they take the lead? Maybe if they do put together a package of HD programming to include what others have stated but until that happens, there is no clear reason for one to switch to the other right now unless he has to have HDNet Now, or, Discovery HD now.

I could have mentioned CBS HD but that channel is so restrictive and many locations now have DT channels for CBS that it isn't a mainstream reason to go for DishNetwork, just a personal one on a small scale.

I will maintain my present status- Have both provider's hardware and choose the service options as they change and benefit me. Freedom of choice is the best way.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706

Please anyone
2 Satellite Dishes are required to receive HDTV from EchoStar. If you don't mind having two dishes then give it some serious consideration. If you're a sports fan you might want to see which provider gets ESPN-HD first.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The other reason for a sports fan to make a decision to stay with Directv is the NFL Sunday Ticket. Directv and the NFL reached agreement on a 5-year extension of their exclusive rights contract last fall, so there's no chance Dishnetowrk can even negotiate to get it for another 5 years. Plus both the NFL and Directv stated that "some games" this coming season will be offered in HD on the NFL Sunday Ticket. This probably means that the 1 or 2 games that CBS will produce in HD each week will be offered in HD on Directv. We may even see the Fox widescreen games in the NFL Sunday Ticket Package too. Unfortunately, they haven't spelled out all the details yet, so we don't know for sure. Time will tell.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
2 Satellite Dishes are required to receive HDTV from EchoStar. If you don't mind having two dishes then give it some serious consideration. If you're a sports fan you might want to see which provider gets ESPN-HD first.
Well, the intent of the new "Superdish" is to ultimately eliminate the need for the second dish for HDTV. No second dish will be required for the Hdnet channels, according to the press release.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
This probably means that the 1 or 2 games that CBS will produce in HD each week will be offered in HD on Directv.
Bob Ross has said this is what CBS would like to do, but nothing is set in stone. If there is no movement on the broadcast flag this summer, there will be no HDTV football from CBS available to DirecTV or anyone else.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
True, CBS/Viacom is threatening to pull the plug on all it's HD production, if the broadcast flag isn't acted upon. I've seen threads here and elsewhere that this posture is merely a bluff to get the matter moving. We shall see.

I know I will be very p*ssed if CSI, CSI Miami, Saturday Collegiate Football and the NFL on CBS aren't in HD this Fall. Of course, I'll also be even more p*ssed if copy protection of HD material moves forward and my TV and STB I bought last year are made obsolete well before their time. I didn't spend $2300 to watch everthing HD down rez'd to 480p.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Crash,

For the record, the broadcast flag has nothing to do with downrezzing on set-top boxes from CE vendors. It will have no affect on current equipment. It will not prevent you from making a copy to a D-VHS tape, or timeshifting with a PVR. The broadcast flag is meant to discourage distribution of digital broadcast material on the Internet. It does so mainly by imposing requirements on PC-connected HDTV products, but unless you use a PC for HDTV, it is not likely to affect you.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:

Ok, nobody's stepping up so I'll do it.

Jump, Jump, Jump!!! Do it, gutless!!! All you guys ever want anyway is attention! Jump!!!

Sorry, I'm a heartless S.O.B.

:D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's a slippery slop. Sharing HD content via the internet using some napster-like software is absurd. The file sizes are just too massive. They have another agenda. They're wanting to have the option of taking broadcast media down the same path as cable and satellite providers have begun with the push for DVI/HDCP and its possible successors for content protection. It's a small step to turning off component connections and/or s-video connections or down-rezing content passed through non digital/unsecure connections. Besides, who's going to pirate free sitcoms on broadcast tv or dramas or movies heavily edited or dubbed to remove offensive language/scenes that also have dozens of commercial interruptions. There's something else behind CBS/Viacom's push for the broadcast flag. I think it's another case of the entertainment industry wanting to move towards pay per view everything...just like DIVX pay-per-view DVDs a few years ago. Fortunately. consumers regetted this scheme and it died a quick death.

Let's just say that I believe in fair use. The many steps being taken in the name or anti-piracy won't stop pirates in the Far East where the main problem is from making their millions on bootleg copies of movies and music and software. It will only impose additional restrictions on honest consumers. I suppose this really belongs in another thread, so I won't say anymore here.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bump...

See the way i see it......... Directv hasnt said anything to the fact of promising more HD yet.Dish even has NBA HD..... ESPN HD will soon be available(if the tech goes through) and Discovery has been available for a while. Now Dish comes out and says "Hey.... we just made some breakthroughs and have the ability of getting up to 50 HD channels......." Now even though talk is cheap but they did let us know.... They put a projectile and said hey we can do it" Has Directv said anything to that extent (I stress extent).... nope..... not even close........ I love Directv receivers..... they are awesome....but with just 3 HD channels and one i have to pay for each movie.....hmmm

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
DirecTV does the same thing. The Mitsu and Toshiba DirecTV STB were delayed almost a year back in 2000. They were supposed to be out the next month. The next month would arrive and no STB. Like I said, this went on for almost a year. At least Echostar lets us know months before the expected due date that the date has slipped.

Rick R

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
bump...

See the way i see it......... Directv hasnt said anything to the fact of promising more HD yet.Dish even has NBA HD..... ESPN HD will soon be available(if the tech goes through) and Discovery has been available for a while. Now Dish comes out and says "Hey.... we just made some breakthroughs and have the ability of getting up to 50 HD channels......." Now even though talk is cheap but they did let us know.... They put a projectile and said hey we can do it" Has Directv said anything to that extent (I stress extent).... nope..... not even close........ I love Directv receivers..... they are awesome....but with just 3 HD channels and one i have to pay for each movie.....hmmm
Sure, go ahead and drop DirecTV now for vaporware. Makes sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.