AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I thought I had my options narrowed down to either the BenQ 6100 vs. the X1 but after talking to the rep from a vendor I'm totally confused. Basically this girl said that she had been selling projectors for 6 years. She said that for Home Theatre purposes, there is a good possibility given the amount of research I've done that I'd see rainbows. So she scared me into looking for LCD options. So does anyone know of any good sub-$1500 LCD projectors?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I used to own an X1 and if it wasn't for the ambient light situation and my close distance I definatly would have stayed with it. Colors are nice and as long as you don't see rainbows your fine. There are plenty of good DLPs under 1500 depending on your eyes.

But to answer your question, Panny 300 for 16:9 and sharp A10X for 4:3 and if you got an HTPC.

Chris

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Most people are not bothered by rainbows-if that were the case DLP technology would have never gotten off the ground. If a salesperson wants to move LCD projectors it is very easy to utilize scare tactics to move customers away from DLP.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Ok... please guys. Not another rainbow discussion. There are litterally hundreds of them, including one VERY long thread that goes into great detail. I suggest reading them. And then I suggest demoing the projector to see if you and/or your family sees them. Thank you.

-MP

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't forget about the Sanyo PLV-Z1 or Studio Experience 1HD. Both are excellent LCDs below $1500 (They are the same unit). They have a lens shift feature that no other units in this price range have. It makes installation very easy.

Joe

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
1. Demo the projector

2. Look for rainbows

3. Remember the faster the colour wheel.. less likely rainbows to appear..

Infocus X1 - 2x speed colour wheel

BenQ 6100 - 3x speed colour wheel

Infocus 4805 (X2) - 4x speed colour wheel

Optima H30 - 4x speed colour wheel

All 4 are DLP projectors with great pictures and under $1400 MSRP.. X1 is "last years" technology.. the 6100 and H30 are available now.. the 4805 will be available in the spring..

hope this helps.. good luck

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
cualexander,

I second madpoet's recommendation. Go see at least one of each type, LCD and DLP. Most people know pretty quickly which image they prefer. It would have been a tragic mistake for me if I had bought DLP sight unseen. For me it was no contest.

My local NOW! Audio Video usually runs a Yamaha LCD pj and the custom HT store in town shows a DLP usually. You should be able to find one of each in your town. You may want to put your location in your profile, lots of times people close to you can chime in and tell you where to look in your town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.