AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our conversation quickly turned to a discussion on the 6208 and the eventual Motorola box with dual tuners.

He said that Comcast here in Chattanooga has decided to take the approach of waiting for the dual tuner DVR boxes that he said should be out sometime before the end of the summer rather than offering the 6208 when it is available in a few months.

Their reasoning is that they don't want to have people wanting to swap out for the dual tuner boxes when those are available, taking up service time and have them ending up with a lot of useless 6208's that no one wants. He also said that Chattanooga was only slated to receive approximately 100 6208's and he thinks they'll be able to get a larger number of dual tuner units when they become available.

I was wondering if other Comcast markets are planning on taking the same approach?

Incidently, he informed me that their estimates for HD subscriptions for this service territory by the end of 2004 was a total of 400 since they launched summer 2003. He said they are blown away by the HD subscriptions they currently have because as of today they have over 1400 subscriptions.

Needless to say it's growing at a rapid pace and Comcast (at least here) is have trouble keeping up. This is certainly good for HD all around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not here in Montgomery County Maryland.

I just got a Message indicator on my box this morning telling me that HD DVR is here and to call them for more info.

I called and after first telling me it's a free upgrade they then tell me it's a $21.50 service call to swap boxes and an additonal $9.95/month for the service.

It's a single tuner box. ( I think the Motorola 6208)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wmessin
I was wondering if other Comcast markets are planning on taking the same approach?
No.

As I've said many times, each of the five Comcast regions have a great deal of autonomy in how they handle programming, hardware, and software rollouts.

At least one Comcast region is close to offering the 6208, as noted above, others may already be offering it.

Other Comcast regions have no plans to offer the 6208, and will wait for the 6408, this Summer.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber
More grrrr.....

Not in LA.
How many times do I have to tell you? LA is in line just like the rest of the Comcast regions.

If you want accurate info on the plans for PVR, Firewire, VOD and other advanced services, find an engineering contact in your area. Otherwise you are waisting your time.

·
Registered
45,753 Posts
Quote:

Incidently, he informed me that their estimates for HD subscriptions for this service territory by the end of 2004 was a total of 400 since they launched summer 2003. He said they are blown away by the HD subscriptions they currently have because as of today they have over 1400 subscriptions.

Needless to say it's growing at a rapid pace and Comcast (at least here) is have trouble keeping up. This is certainly good for HD all around.
My sources tell me this is not isolated to your area. Comcast has been pleasantly surprised with the response their HD offerings have created.

·
Registered
516 Posts
1400 doesn't seem like a lot but then again I probably dont have any concept of numbers. I thought they have to have the boxes by april 1st if you want them. I dont see how they can make you wait until the summer.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

As I've said many times, each of the five Comcast regions have a great deal of autonomy in how they handle programming, hardware, and software rollouts.

Ken, didn't Comcast recently consolidate two regions, going from five to four? Or was it from six to five? It was within the last 3 months.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I received my 6208 Monday via Insight in Northern Kentucky. While I love the capabilities of this box (particularly the HD DVR function), I can say that it would be nice to have the second tuner. If my provider picks up the 6408 (dual tuner) when it becomes available, I'll be doing whatever is necessary to swap this one out.

One more comment. Just PRAY that they put a better analog tuner in the 6408. The analog channels look simply pathetic. For the most part I just watch them via a connection straight into the tv and bypass the cable box altogether.

·
Registered
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
Ken, didn't Comcast recently consolidate two regions, going from five to four? Or was it from six to five? It was within the last 3 months.
Not sure, recent info from Comcast's web site says 6 regions. Not that it matters too much, but I'll ask.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Quote:

This number probably accounts for many of the homes on Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain. :)

I'm going to have to let a friend of mine down there know that he can go ahead and buy that HD set. We were unsure whether or not that Comcast down there was even doing HD yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.