Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I have owned my HD-A2 for over a month but I am going to return it to BB.

As I have always said, the picture and sound are excellent and though I had some player issues, it for the most part has been solid.

So, I am bowing out. If things change, I'll re-buy.

This annoucment is simply for full disclosure so when I do post in here, those that read my posts will know that I am no longer an HD DVD owner and draw their own conclusions on my posts. But I'll be posting less in the HD DVD forums (as I am no longer an owner) and I am sure many will be excited about that

Good luck with the HD DVD fight!!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I am confused as to why you are "bowing out" if the picture and sound are excellent? Was your intention to ever keep the HD-A2, or were you just trying it out.

I have been on the BR/HD-DVD fence for some time now and am really leaning towards HD-DVD after reading a ton of reviews and seing the image quality in person. To me, it seems HD-DVD has a better picture and is an overall better value (cost of player/movies/better content on HD-DVD)..

Interested in your thoughts on this..

·
Registered
27,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
I am confused as to why you are "bowing out" if the picture and sound are excellent? Was your intention to ever keep the HD-A2, or were you just trying it out.

I don't want to turn this thread into a bash HD DVD thread. Just disclose the fact that I no longer own the HD DVD player so thos e reading my posts can take that into consideration. This is a great site and honesty is always the best way to get the most here.

PQ I found equal to Blu Ray. Sound is fantastic as well.

However, I have other moneys I'd like to put into my theater (Lumagen Radiance beta and I am re-doing acoustical work in my room to address some unwanted ceiling reflections). My time has really been limited lately relative to watching films and I have enough with the Blu Ray and DVDs I rent. Content looks to improving for Blu Ray relative to HD DVD unlike the 5-6 mos previous - which favored HD DVD.

·
Registered
878 Posts
if this means you won't post in this forum anymore, this is indeed fantastic news

·
Registered
27,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never say never!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

Well,

I have owned my HD-A2 for over a month but I am going to return it to BB.

As I have always said, the picture and sound are excellent and though I had some player issues, it for the most part has been solid.

So, I am bowing out. If things change, I'll re-buy.

This annoucment is simply for full disclosure so when I do post in here, those that read my posts will know that I am no longer an HD DVD owner and draw their own conclusions on my posts. But I'll be posting less in the HD DVD forums (as I am no longer an owner) and I am sure many will be excited about that

Good luck with the HD DVD fight!!

Maybe you should keep it an extra day. The A2 and XA2 firmware upgrade has just been posted for download from Toshiba. If it doesn't solve the issues you had, then you might want to return it. But why not wait a day?

How did you get more than a month from BB? They usually give only thirty days.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm still confused...

You like movies (as per your reviews), you said it looks and sounds great, it is inexpensive compared to your other gear (I think after reading enough of your posts)....

why return it again?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/0

I have been on the BR/HD-DVD fence for some time now and am really leaning towards HD-DVD after reading a ton of reviews and seing the image quality in person. To me, it seems HD-DVD has a better picture and is an overall better value (cost of player/movies/better content on HD-DVD)..

Interested in your thoughts on this..

thebland, you can respond to my conjectures if I'm completely off the wall here. My suspician is that he pretty much believes that Blu-Ray is not only inevitably going to win the format war but that there is so much out/coming out for Blu-Ray that there's no need to even bother with HD DVD. As he mentioned time is a factor for everyone's viewing habits and In his mind there is so much stuff in Blu-Ray that is out and coming out that he would rather focus his efforts in "the winning" camp.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/0

thebland, you can respond to my conjectures if I'm completely off the wall here. My suspician is that he pretty much believes that Blu-Ray is not only inevitably going to win the format war but that there is so much out/coming out for Blu-Ray that there's no need to even bother with HD DVD. As he mentioned time is a factor for everyone's viewing habits and In his mind there is so much stuff in Blu-Ray that is out and coming out that he would rather focus his efforts in "the winning" camp.

Aren't there suppossed to be somewhere around 300 releases for HD-DVD in 07? With recent news of the PS3 not selling as robustly in the US and Japan (I have a feeling it is not going to sell well in Europe either due to price), and the fact that Blu-Ray standalone players are not flying off the shelves, and the fact that it was announced that we will see cheaper Chinese HD-DVD players in 07, I think it is way to early for BR to be declared a winner..

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/0

Aren't there suppossed to be somewhere around 300 releases for HD-DVD in 07? With recent news of the PS3 not selling as robustly in the US and Japan (I have a feeling it is not going to sell well in Europe either due to price), and the fact that Blu-Ray standalone players are not flying off the shelves, and the fact that it was announced that we will see cheaper Chinese HD-DVD players in 07, I think it is way to early for BR to be declared a winner..

That hasn't stopped several "vocal" supporters of Blu-Ray scare lots of people into believing that HD DVD is a dead format.

·
Registered
27,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not declaring Blu ray the winner...it is too soon. BLu Ray is surging, however.

That said, for me it comes down to time (not enough to watch everything) & money (I have other theater areas I'd like to spend on).

It doesn't make sense for me to have three active formats to draw from for now.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

I'm not declaring Blu ray the winner...it is too soon. BLu Ray is surging, however.

That said, for me it comes down to time (not enough to watch everything) & money (I have other theater areas I'd like to spend on).

It doesn't make sense for me to have three active formats to draw from for now.

Just don't drink a few bottles of expensive wine for a few weeks and that more than pays for the HD DVD player.

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
You've been "talking the talk" for months now.

A more accurate description of what you are now doing is "walking the walk".

C ya if HD-DVD fails, otherwise hope not to see you in too many HD-DVD threads.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.