AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toshiba gives up... linky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I had hoped it would be an article about Toshiba giving up on HD-DVD entirely. Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
You'd think Sony learned after their Betamax fiasco. Sometimes better does not mean it will succeed. VHS is worse quality but because it's cheaper (machine and tapes), it won with Betamax fizzling out. HD-DVD will make it and Blue-Ray will be a niche product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
You'd think Sony learned after their Betamax fiasco. Sometimes better does not mean it will succeed. VHS is worse quality but because it's cheaper (machine and tapes), it won with Betamax fizzling out. HD-DVD will make it and Blue-Ray will be a niche product.


I don't see it that way. These players will be super expensive, and the library will be small and expensive as well. So this will be a niche for both camps for the first few years. However, you throw PS3 into the mix, and all of a sudden you have thousands of people who now can play BRDs. Those thousands upon thousands will be curious and buy a few disks, etc. The PS3 is the trojan horse that will get Sony the trophy. Assuming the BRDs aren't $35 and the PS3 does in fact play BRD when it's released under $500.


The sad thing is, is a lot of people may hold off to see from both camps. I want a PS3 regardless of BRD, so I won't touch HD-DVD until I see PS3. Toshiba has already pushed back it's player release, and ti;s library is pushed back as well. If Toshiba releases a $1000 player and PS3 comes out 2 months later at $500, it's over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Kid Red : agree 100% also the niche idea does not hold if one format takes the lead the other is history. I asked because interested to see if there were any real reason to say HD-DVD will win.


I know I have heard some people saying all the people that bought their first DVD player last year will run out and buy their 1000$ HD-DVD player because it is named HD-DVD, but I wanted to know if there were any real reasons
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
also the niche idea does not hold if one format takes the lead the other is history
Even if one format "wins" this format war and utterly destroys the other, the winner will still be a niche format in comparison to standard-def DVD. When laserdisc and CED went head-to-head, CED died a painful death and laserdsic went on to survive for 16 more years, but LD never took over the mainstream of home video from VHS.


Outside of forums like this, there simply aren't enough consumers who give a crap about high-definition or have the capable televisions to watch it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
I think there will be compelling reasons for people to switch, mainly for the extra capacity.


For example, some of the hottest selling DVDs these days are TV shows. If you're the studios it would be compelling to switch because you now only need to press 1 or 2 discs for each season rather than 5 or 6 discs. So it's cost effective. For the consumer it's compelling because you don't have to constantly swap discs when viewing an entire season and you save on shelf space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,319 Posts
As much as I hate the reality of it, HD will win because of the tooling change over involved with BR. Cost per unit is much lower with HD.


The hardware is one thing, but the media is the money.


E
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE
As much as I hate the reality of it, HD will win because of the tooling change over involved with BR. Cost per unit is much lower with HD.




E
Not a factor. Also "much lower" is quite an exaggeration, this is currently Toshiba propaganda. It apperars to be working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran
Not a factor. Also "much lower" is quite an exaggeration, this is currently Toshiba propaganda. It apperars to be working.
As opposed to the steady stream of Sony propaganda about how much more secure their format is?


I believe that HD-DVD will win this format war, if only because I have no faith whatsoever in Sony doing anything right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Even if one format "wins" this format war and utterly destroys the other, the winner will still be a niche format in comparison to standard-def DVD. When laserdisc and CED went head-to-head, CED died a painful death and laserdsic went on to survive for 16 more years, but LD never took over the mainstream of home video from VHS.


Outside of forums like this, there simply aren't enough consumers who give a crap about high-definition or have the capable televisions to watch it on.
I disagree with this long term. If indeed one format takes off, these discs will be right next to SD DVDs and regular mom and Joe will see them. They will ask about them, they will find out. Also, once this format war starts, everyone and their grandmother will own a DVD player and the number of HD channels, and HD TV owners will have increased. Once those people have HD TVs and watch HD channels, HD DVD will sell itself.


As long as the numbers of HDTVs sold increases the push towards mainstream will be a reality for HD DVD. Especially when you consider that BB, Sears and CC will all have a HD DVD set up going to show the difference trying to sell those HD DVD players.


But I think that will happen only after one format has been decided.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
BB, Sears and CC will all have a HD DVD set up going to show the difference trying to sell those HD DVD players.
A $999 DVD player is going to be a hard sell when they just sold a $2-3K HDTV. (I'm guessing at the median range). People tend to buy the biggest/best TV they can('t) afford.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Quote:
As opposed to the steady stream of Sony propaganda about how much more secure their format is?
there is one problem with that. Sony never said that publicly, they got the studios to do that. Talking about studios, who do you think should care about a manufacturing cost difference the most? yup the studios, an they are the ones by 3 of them picking BR and only 2 picking HD-DVD (eliminated TW and Sony since they might be biased on their own format) that have said the difference i not a factor.


Actually thanks to the studios and replicators we know the difference, http://homemediaretailing.com/news/h...rticle_ID=7897 a packaged DVD from the replicator is .80$ and a packaged BR is 2.00$ since HD-DVD will be more expensive then DVD that means a difference that is less the 1.20$ and that includes the replication upgrade+ extra cost of manufacturing and possibly extra profit for replicator. And Cinram said that the difference between BR and HD-DVD lines is 500K



so yes HD-DVD is definitely serving FUD, now if Sony is doing the same, I have no idea. But BR does have extra CP tools, so I am guessing that is not propaganda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Outside of forums like this, there simply aren't enough consumers who give a crap about high-definition or have the capable televisions to watch it on
I disagree, prices re high now but they will drop, once they drop enough there is no use continuing to manufacture DVD players and then people who need a new disk player will be "forced" to buy a 2G player. LD was not compatible with anything, and did not have many titles, not to mention that it was not recordable, that is why people ,and therefore studios, did not buy into it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
I don't see it that way. These players will be super expensive, and the library will be small and expensive as well. So this will be a niche for both camps for the first few years. However, you throw PS3 into the mix, and all of a sudden you have thousands of people who now can play BRDs. Those thousands upon thousands will be curious and buy a few disks, etc. The PS3 is the trojan horse that will get Sony the trophy. Assuming the BRDs aren't $35 and the PS3 does in fact play BRD when it's released under $500.


The sad thing is, is a lot of people may hold off to see from both camps. I want a PS3 regardless of BRD, so I won't touch HD-DVD until I see PS3. Toshiba has already pushed back it's player release, and ti;s library is pushed back as well. If Toshiba releases a $1000 player and PS3 comes out 2 months later at $500, it's over.
But only the thousands upon thousands who have bought new displays with HDMI /HDCP compliance. Guaranteed niche anyway until there are millions of these new displays. The owners of the first nine million or so HD sets sold will be SOL anyway.This will be very very intersting I think.


Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I would put my backing on hd dvd. The cost of br,contrary to what was said here, is astronomical compared to hd disks. There is also the fact that microsoft is in with toshiba now and lets see how many computers are run by sony software? 0 The next xbox will also have toshibas hd as a option early next year and if you check out statistics ps is for teenagers and early 20,s and older will gravitate to microsoft. most teenagers cant afford the players. toshibas hd can be produced on the same line as reg. dvd,s so the process is there.You may also check out sony,s financial state lately.They are losing a ton of money from televisions because of all the cheaper upstarting companies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Quote:
The cost of br,contrary to what was said here, is astronomical compared to hd disks.
proof.

Quote:
There is also the fact that microsoft is in with toshiba now and lets see how many computers are run by sony software?
according to MS they are neutral. On the other hand if MS decided to go HD-DVD that I consider possible, if they did try to used windows to hurt BR that would be anticompetitive practice and cause way more problems then this is worth

Quote:
The next xbox will also have toshibas hd as a option early next year
proof
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top