AVS Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 4548 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you can get WSU and especially get the PC station from time to time there could still be some hope!
I would go to one of the walmarts and purchase the antennas direct antenna. They have two models. Get the one with two rings if they have it and try it. You can return it within 90 days if it doesn't work. It just may pull in what you need. They are pretty amazing. Just don't use an amp or anything and try.

If you do, please post back on your results. A lot of people in Tallahassee are in similar housing situations.
I will give that antenna a try one of these days. It is just crazy that I can only get one channel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I will give that antenna a try one of these days. It is just crazy that I can only get one channel.
Sounds good. Like I posted above, I highly recommend them. I am sure you have a ton of multi path issues/reflections and a good directional antenna like this one should really help you lock in. Its also pretty flat and fairly small so it could hide behind the TV or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been recording General Hospital on my DVR... What is the deal with the black bar, I've been seeing it for the last few days. And it isn't only at 2. Second picture is from Repeat After Me.

uploadfromtaptalk1425434325036.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425434367686.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V

·
Registered
140 Posts
Need some OTA help. We're trying to lower our monthly expenses by doing away with DTV, so I thought if we get at least get some local HD channels with an antenna, that would soften the blow a bit :)

Since I have pretty much zero knowledge about all of this, I wanted to see if someone could steer me towards the right direction. I ordered a super cheap indoor antenna off Amazon as a base attempt to see what kind of results I would get. Not that good. This is the antenna I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVUAGU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I live out in Killearn Lakes (really close to Tekesta Park)- close to being alongside Bannerman Road. A fair amount of trees out in our neck of the woods. I was able to get ABC in HD and SD, CW in SD, WFSU in HD, and one CBS channel in SD. That was pretty much it I think. Is there an indoor antenna that would get me all of the channels in HD...or is that pretty much impossible out where we live? I would prefer not having to mount an exterior antenna, but am not totally opposed to it. Curious to see what you all would recommend.

TIA :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Need some OTA help. We're trying to lower our monthly expenses by doing away with DTV, so I thought if we get at least get some local HD channels with an antenna, that would soften the blow a bit :)

Since I have pretty much zero knowledge about all of this, I wanted to see if someone could steer me towards the right direction. I ordered a super cheap indoor antenna off Amazon as a base attempt to see what kind of results I would get. Not that good. This is the antenna I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVUAGU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I live out in Killearn Lakes (really close to Tekesta Park)- close to being alongside Bannerman Road. A fair amount of trees out in our neck of the woods. I was able to get ABC in HD and SD, CW in SD, WFSU in HD, and one CBS channel in SD. That was pretty much it I think. Is there an indoor antenna that would get me all of the channels in HD...or is that pretty much impossible out where we live? I would prefer not having to mount an exterior antenna, but am not totally opposed to it. Curious to see what you all would recommend.

TIA :)
Hello Hank. We almost purchased a home out that way so I am family with the area and terrain. If I use the 32312 zip in antennaweb I see that your MUCH closer to the tower farms than I am and that is why you are pulling in a few channels with that antenna. That is a very good thing. The bad news is that antenna is probably not going to cut it with your trees and elevation. You could actually probably have decent results elevating it but it is not worth the trouble.

Your within 7 to 24 miles of any channel available and actually in a decent spot. To ease your trouble shooting pains I would just start with option D in my post (I just saw your PM so I see you read my post on reception in tally.)

I would buy the antennas direct clearstream 2 if it was me and test in my living room and then probably go to the attic if I didn't get the reception or WAF factor I needed in the living room. I can't make guarantees but I can just about guarantee it will work in the LR and if not I am even more certain you will have perfect reception if moved up into the attic or higher level. Another option is the clearstream 1 with a single ring. Both are available at walmart and you can get your money back within 90 days if your not happy and want to go back to another signal source.

Here is what I would buy (I used amazon but all of this is available locally at walmart)

Clearstream 1 $49.95 Good option but may have to go to attic: http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...F8&qid=1434588050&sr=8-6&keywords=clearstream

OR
Clearstream 2 $77. Best option and should work in the lower floors and definitely work in the attic: http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...F8&qid=1434588050&sr=8-5&keywords=clearstream

AND
50' of RG6 Quad shield cable ( You may need none, more of less than this)

AND
some nylon twine or nylon kite string (awesome stuff in the attic to tether and line up your antenna and doesn't need power tools. I have seen people use push pins and twine an do a great job aligning and securing their antennas from the rafters and create a pretty much solid/permanent mounting solution.

You can probably get away with other solutions but like I have said in my other posts, I swear by antennas direct products and know they have repeatable results so I always recommend their products. Some may need other accessories for their specific solution but it is nice when you can eliminate the equipment choice from your trouble shooting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello Hank. We almost purchased a home out that way so I am family with the area and terrain. If I use the 32312 zip in antennaweb I see that your MUCH closer to the tower farms than I am and that is why you are pulling in a few channels with that antenna. That is a very good thing. The bad news is that antenna is probably not going to cut it with your trees and elevation. You could actually probably have decent results elevating it but it is not worth the trouble.

Your within 7 to 24 miles of any channel available and actually in a decent spot. To ease your trouble shooting pains I would just start with option D in my post (I just saw your PM so I see you read my post on reception in tally.)

I would buy the antennas direct clearstream 2 if it was me and test in my living room and then probably go to the attic if I didn't get the reception or WAF factor I needed in the living room. I can't make guarantees but I can just about guarantee it will work in the LR and if not I am even more certain you will have perfect reception if moved up into the attic or higher level. Another option is the clearstream 1 with a single ring. Both are available at walmart and you can get your money back within 90 days if your not happy and want to go back to another signal source.

Here is what I would buy (I used amazon but all of this is available locally at walmart)

Clearstream 1 $49.95 Good option but may have to go to attic: http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...F8&qid=1434588050&sr=8-6&keywords=clearstream

OR
Clearstream 2 $77. Best option and should work in the lower floors and definitely work in the attic: http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...F8&qid=1434588050&sr=8-5&keywords=clearstream

AND
50' of RG6 Quad shield cable ( You may need none, more of less than this)

AND
some nylon twine or nylon kite string (awesome stuff in the attic to tether and line up your antenna and doesn't need power tools. I have seen people use push pins and twine an do a great job aligning and securing their antennas from the rafters and create a pretty much solid/permanent mounting solution.

You can probably get away with other solutions but like I have said in my other posts, I swear by antennas direct products and know they have repeatable results so I always recommend their products. Some may need other accessories for their specific solution but it is nice when you can eliminate the equipment choice from your trouble shooting.
mahicks - thank you for taking time to respond to my post...really appreciate it! I'll go ahead and try out/order what you suggested (Antennas Direct C2 and some RG6 cable in case I need to run it into the attic). Like you said, if it doesn't pan out, then I'll go ahead and return the items to Amazon. So what channels will I get in HD and SD if it this antenna works out? ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, and WFSU?

Do you have an email? Might be faster to communicate that way if I have more questions. Feel free to PM me that info :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
HDTV Resolutions

Haven't visited this thread in a while, and it seems to have gone pretty cold, so I apologize if I'm not in the right place. I have been looking at the native resolutions of the programs in my DirecTV satellite feed. Many, such as from local stations channel 40 (NBC) and 49 (41 on DirecTV, FOX) are only in 720P. Even for high profile broadcasts like the NFL playoff games. I was surprised, because I would have thought they'd be in 1080i after all these years since that became the broadcast standard.

Can any of you shed light on why there are still broadcasts in lower resolutions? I understand the lack of 1080P content (not to mention 4K), because that seems to be a DirecTV limitation, except on their pay movies or their pay movie preview channel (channel 125). Thanks for helping me get up to speed.

Svenfran

·
Registered
40 Posts
Haven't visited this thread in a while, and it seems to have gone pretty cold, so I apologize if I'm not in the right place. I have been looking at the native resolutions of the programs in my DirecTV satellite feed. Many, such as from local stations channel 40 (NBC) and 49 (41 on DirecTV, FOX) are only in 720P. Even for high profile broadcasts like the NFL playoff games. I was surprised, because I would have thought they'd be in 1080i after all these years since that became the broadcast standard.

Can any of you shed light on why there are still broadcasts in lower resolutions? I understand the lack of 1080P content (not to mention 4K), because that seems to be a DirecTV limitation, except on their pay movies or their pay movie preview channel (channel 125). Thanks for helping me get up to speed.

Svenfran
FOX (and also ABC) broadcasts natively in 720p, so that's not an issue.

Here in Tallahassee, WTWC has both NBC and FOX. Sinclair tried to buy New Age Media, the owner of the previous Fox affiliation (owners of WTLH/WTLF), but the deal fell through. Sinclair bought the non license assets (the FOX affiliation) and operates the stations. The Fox affiliation went to 40.2. When that happened, they decided to downscale the NBC channel to 720P. Not sure why Sinclair could not maintain the native resolution... Surely the third SD only subchannel could have been moved.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Svenfran
720p and 1080i are both HDTV broadcast standards. When HD started up, each station/network made the decision whether to use 720p or 1080i. Some chose 720p because in theory it's better for fast-moving sports. In practice, that theoretical advantage hasn't been obvious.
The 1080p issue has nothing to do with DirecTV. DirecTV delivers some movies in 1080p/24, 24fps is the normal frame rate for movies shot on film. 1080p/24 has no real advantages over 1080, you would have to go to 1080p/60 to get any value, and no-one broadcasts 1080p/60. So the real answer to "why not deliver 1080p/60" is "why bother?"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any chance we ever see WTLH 49.2 CW in HD?
If you are close enough to Tallahassee, WTLF (24.1) has the CW in HD. Comcast shows WTLF HD on Channel 435.

I doubt that any technical improvements will be made to WTLF, especially when the Fox affiliation was moved to WTWC.

I noted that you are in Valdosta... How is the reception on WSWG? 44.3 has CW in HD (per wiki)
Sent from Q's Note5

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm in the Albany market and WTLH-DT2 is the only affiliate of The CW I can pick up OTA, so like drWaLLs, I have been holding out hope for 49.2 to go HD, but it looks like another Fall season will begin without it.

The good news however is The CW is about to launch an app for Apple TV, Roku, and FireTV that will have the episodes available the next day, and no cable or satellite subscription necessary to view them, so I'm excited about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: qbot101

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the Albany market and WTLH-DT2 is the only affiliate of The CW I can pick up OTA, so like drWaLLs, I have been holding out hope for 49.2 to go HD, but it looks like another Fall season will begin without it.

The good news however is The CW is about to launch an app for Apple TV, Roku, and FireTV that will have the episodes available the next day, and no cable or satellite subscription necessary to view them, so I'm excited about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. That is crazy that WSWG (44.3) is not viewable there... What kind of reception are they putting out?? I thought that was marketed for a line from Albany to Valdosta... So. That knocks out WTLF then. Ouch.

Sent from Q's Note5

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Wow. That is crazy that WSWG (44.3) is not viewable there... What kind of reception are they putting out?? I thought that was marketed for a line from Albany to Valdosta... So. That knocks out WTLF then. Ouch.

I can't remember what amount of power they're putting out, but it's less than what they were putting out in the analog days, and I got pretty sucky reception then.

I live in Terrell County, which neighbors Dougherty County (Albany), but it's on the far side of the DMA. I can pick up the CBS, ABC, and Antenna TV (who used to be an affiliate of The CW) stations out of Columbus, but not the NBC affiliate who broadcasts The CW (in HD) on their sub-channel. I can pick up WCTV, WTXL, WTWC, and WTLH reliably, but not WTLF. In my market, I can pick up every channel BUT WSWG.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't remember what amount of power they're putting out, but it's less than what they were putting out in the analog days, and I got pretty sucky reception then.

I live in Terrell County, which neighbors Dougherty County (Albany), but it's on the far side of the DMA. I can pick up the CBS, ABC, and Antenna TV (who used to be an affiliate of The CW) stations out of Columbus, but not the NBC affiliate who broadcasts The CW (in HD) on their sub-channel. I can pick up WCTV, WTXL, WTWC, and WTLH reliably, but not WTLF. In my market, I can pick up every channel BUT WSWG.
Had to see where Terrell County was... Wow. I'm amazed that the Tallahassee stations go that far. WTLF is basically meant for the closer in Tallahassee market (I think their antenna is near Midway or Havana or somewhere close to Tallahassee).

You are in a pickle indeed. Gray doesn't really care as long as you can get CBS, the subchannels are an afterthought. I'd love for them to get 6.2 in HD since they are showing modern programming on the My Network channel.

Sinclair has no reason to care because they feel the market is covered with WTLF and WTLH 49.2. They are mainly concerned with NBC and FOX in Tallahassee and the FOX in Albany.

Looks hopeless unless a different station group gets CW or the current crew get their signals and PQ together.

I've never seen such messy arrangements, but this these are small markets :(

Sent from Q's Note5

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Had to see where Terrell County was... Wow. I'm amazed that the Tallahassee stations go that far. WTLF is basically meant for the closer in Tallahassee market (I think their antenna is near Midway or Havana or somewhere close to Tallahassee).
I get a GREAT signal from all four of the main Tallahassee, FL stations.

You are in a pickle indeed. Gray doesn't really care as long as you can get CBS, the subchannels are an afterthought. I'd love for them to get 6.2 in HD since they are showing modern programming on the My Network channel.
I get a slightly better signal on WRBL (Columbus, GA) than I do WCTV, so I watch them. If WSWG moves RF channels in the repack, perhaps I'll be able to pick them up, and I may switch to them for CBS.

Looks hopeless unless a different station group gets CW or the current crew get their signals and PQ together.

I'll be fine with the app for now. Hopefully it will work well for WaLLs as well!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Any chance we ever see WTLH 49.2 CW in HD?

WTLH-DT2 49.2 looking real interesting today...

(((whistling nonchalantly)))

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, CW & MeTV got bumped up. Now I'm waiting for DirecTV to update local CW to proper HD. Thanks for the heads-up, Alan & drWalls.
That's strange they never bothered to pick up the WTLF (24) feed instead of WTLH. WTLF has been in HD from its inception, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from Q's Note5

4521 - 4540 of 4548 Posts