AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather live room (22X15) heavy carpet with only 2 recliners in it. I have a DIY 98 inch diagonal screen made with some kind of plastic material hanging from the ceiling, 4 inches from the front wall. It sounds a bit hollow even with the best efforts of Audyssey MultiEQ, so I was thinking of covering the back of the screen with foil backed 4 inch fiberglass batts.

The screen is almost perfectly centered and would certainly help. I was thinking of putting the insulation in staggered strips (16 inch wide) and leaving about 8 inches of open space between them to trap sounds from different directions. Is that a good idea or should I just cover the whole screen?

I know that I should look into some treatment for the reflection points on the sides, but this seems to be a bit more important for now.

Any advice is most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Can you post a layout of the room, seating location, etc... First thought, without more details is that adding the insualtion behind the screen as suggested won't have the impact you're looking for.

How are the walls and ceiling constructed? Windows? Doors? and so on. A bit more information about the room, and specific goals would help. Is it that the room has too much echo? I wasn't entirely clear on your suggestion re: insulation...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post a layout of the room, seating location, etc...
Attachment 168354 Not exactly to scale but darn close. The boxes are speakers

How are the walls and ceiling constructed? Windows? Doors? and so on.

Drywall with a big picture window with blinds and curtains centered on the right wall. Directly behind the chairs is an open doorway with a half wall to the right. A 4 foot wide hallway beyond that.

A bit more information about the room, and specific goals would help. Is it that the room has too much echo?

It seems to be a little hollow sounding. Nothing unpleasant but from reading threads here it seems that you want to make the front damped and with having those 3 big front speakers and a subwoofer (not pictured) within a foot of the wall, I would guess that they would have some reflection.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
Replace the DIY plastic screen with a DIY fabric acoustically transparent screen (SeymourAV.com) then add your 4 inches of treatment.

While you are at it I would make the screen bigger build a false front wall and put your speakers behind the screen.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18208991

Replace the DIY plastic screen with a DIY fabric acoustically transparent screen (SeymourAV.com) then add your 4 inches of treatment.

While you are at it I would make the screen bigger build a false front wall and put your speakers behind the screen.

That's a great idea and I've thought about it before but at this time I'm just looking to add some simple DIY treatments to attenuate the minor echo.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy /forum/post/18210386

That's a great idea and I've thought about it before but at this time I'm just looking to add some simple DIY treatments to attenuate the minor echo.

You might start by reading the 'Acoustical Treatments Master Thread' in the sticky thread portion of this forum.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1940 /forum/post/18210471

You might start by reading the 'Acoustical Treatments Master Thread' in the sticky thread portion of this forum.

Thanks Frank, but that's what I did and found out that most people are proponents of the "dead front/live back" theory and hence, my question pertaining to that same exact idea.

My question, I thought, was pretty straight forward and dealt with that hypothesis. I am familiar with the great lengths that folks go through too optimize their HT environment, but I just wanted a little advice as to one specific idea and if it would help no matter how effectively.

I guess that I'll just try it and make up my own mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts