AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taming the HS24

EDIT: Jump to this post for the start of the final chapter. And straight to this post for the completed pics.
----------------
It's time for a winter project.

I am thinking to replace my 2 sealed 18-D2's with a pair of Nick's HS24's. The target volume is 15 cubic feet per cabinet. I am trying to constrain the width and depth by building upward.

My current design is outlined below, with renders showing the structure of the bracing.

48x26.5x26.5
15.224 cubic ft (before the driver)
190 lbs (before the driver)
Triple 3/4" baffle, with single 3/4" wall elsewhere
All panels braced no less than every 7 inches
Interlocking braces
Rabbet joints all around

Before I start making dust, I want hear some thoughts on the adequacy of the cabinet's mass to tame this beastly driver. In Ricci's review of the driver, he mentioned excessive shaking of his heavy test stand. One other (can't remember where) suggested bolting his cabinet to the floor would be helpful. Sibuna's cabinet showed some tremoring

Give me some feedback.

If I used 1" MDF for the walls, assuming the same external dimensions, that would bring my unloaded weight to 222 lbs. I have access to that material, but I don't want to add the weight if it isn't necessary.

THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Much of the rocking from the test was the result of the lever created by suspending it that way. It will rock much less in a large cabinet with a lower center of gravity. There will still be vibration, but nothing like the test scenario.

·
Registered
749 Posts
How about a 30cuft Dual Opposed... ;)

Or I guess you could just place them back to back, although then you couldn't see them firing into the room and scaring people lol

Ooh, actually...

PPSL layout with two separate boxes joined together?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the sub closer to the floor so it rocks less. That, or make it flatter and not as tall.
I had considered that. But somehow the appearance is objectionable to me.

An inch of of granite at 26.5x26.5 would be about 70lbs. I could always add more mass if shaking is a problem.

Some quick and dirties of that option. Maybe it'll grow on me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had considered that. But somehow the appearance is objectionable to me.

An inch of of granite at 26.5x26.5 would be about 70lbs. I could always add more mass if shaking is a problem.

Some quick and dirties of that option. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I like the middle one, with the addition of a name plaque or some other decorative detail in the space above the driver.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Before I start making dust, I want hear some thoughts on the adequacy of the cabinet's mass to tame this beastly driver. In Ricci's review of the driver, he mentioned excessive shaking of his heavy test stand. One other (can't remember where) suggested bolting his cabinet to the floor would be helpful. Sibuna's cabinet showed some tremoring.
Ricci said, "At around 3” peak to peak the driver seemed in little danger and still had some clearance before the cone contacted the spider spacer on the inward portion of stroke. By this point the surround was starting to dimple visibly. An unforeseen issue was that at this much excursion my entire test stand which probably weighs 250-300lbs unloaded was starting to shake violently."

1. 3" peak to peak is past X-Max
2. How much power will you have available?
3. Using two drivers with enough power to get to 3" peak to peak means that most likely you would need to be listening at 6 dB louder than one driver :eek:
4. I bet that 99% of the time your drivers will be under 12mm of excursion
5. Nice renderings :cool:

1 - 20 of 402 Posts