AVS Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2471 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have three VHF-Hi stations you need to get. WTVT (use of call letters is always preferred over network affiliations), WTSP and WFLA/WTTA. Whatever you get, it needs a pretty good VHF-Hi component. I'm assuming you're going on the roof? I don't think it's doable indoors.
Definitely going with an outdoor antenna as I pretty much have no other choice.
I've been looking at the Televes LR antenna - I'm leaning towards that one at the moment.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have the bigger channel master outside on the roof for the Port richey area on the gulf. I forget the model number. Works fine. I also have a much smaller RCA for another TV on the roof but it is half as good as the bigger Ant.

Reactions: tampa8

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad to see WFLA has worked out for some of you. Unfortunately, for me in 33629 (South Tampa) it got bad when they did maintenance this summer and has been bad since, even after rescanning multiple times over the past 2 months.

Other channels are fine, so I don't think its something on my end.

Has anyone reported the issues to WFLA?

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Glad to see WFLA has worked out for some of you. Unfortunately, for me in 33629 (South Tampa) it got bad when they did maintenance this summer and has been bad since, even after rescanning multiple times over the past 2 months.

Other channels are fine, so I don't think its something on my end.
FWIW, the "other channels" aren't on the same frequency coming from the same antenna on the same tower.

It sounds like you started having issues when FLA went from 7 to 9. Multipath would be my first suspect given your proximity to downtown Tampa. You might have had some on 7, but it's worse on 9. Something else could be attenuating the signal or interfering with it, too. Reminds me of WTOG. Something around me changed around the time of Hurricane Irma and I could no longer receive WTOG reliably. Since the move to RF19, my problem's solved. As I'm getting WFLA issue-free and I'm twice as far away from Riverview, I tend to think it's not on their end. Just MHO. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
FWIW, the "other channels" aren't on the same frequency coming from the same antenna on the same tower.

It sounds like you started having issues when FLA went from 7 to 9. Multipath would be my first suspect given your proximity to downtown Tampa. You might have had some on 7, but it's worse on 9. Something else could be attenuating the signal or interfering with it, too. Reminds me of WTOG. Something around me changed around the time of Hurricane Irma and I could no longer receive WTOG reliably. Since the move to RF19, my problem's solved. As I'm getting WFLA issue-free and I'm twice as far away from Riverview, I tend to think it's not on their end. Just MHO. :)
Thanks for the reply @DrDon.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had problems with WFLA up to about a month ago when the signal seemed to get stronger. I have no idea why but I'm glad it improved. I'm about 30 miles east from most towers and use a ClearStream 4 and added a dipole.
Any word on ATSC 3.0 in the Tampa Bay area?

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Thanks for the reply @DrDon.

Any recommendations?
What are you using, now? If you said upthread, I apologize.

Could you be a bit more specific as to what you mean by "bad?" Does it come in at all? Are drops consistent or periodic? Something a bit better than a zip code... maybe nearby intersection?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What are you using, now? If you said upthread, I apologize.

Could you be a bit more specific as to what you mean by "bad?" Does it come in at all? Are drops consistent or periodic? Something a bit better than a zip code... maybe nearby intersection?
A Terk TV3 antenna on the problematic TV (downstairs).

I have a Wingard antenna in the attic that services the upstairs TVs. That seems to do pretty well.

Unfortunately, I've been told I cannot run coax from my upstairs to the downstairs because the house was built in the 70s. While I thought that a bit odd, I went with it and have been using the Terk downstairs for years with limited problems.

The Terk is on top of a book shelf (6 feet) with a coax run of about 15 feet to the TV. I have not affixed the coax to the wall - just on the floor running along the baseboard.

WFLA pixelates and drops audio frequently (every 30 seconds) - particularly in the morning. It gets bad enough that the TV says it cannot pick up the signal at times.

Intersection is San Jose and Westshore in South Tampa.

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
@fganter

Looking at a map, you're in a potential multipath mess. Not only is downtown a big reflector, but you're on the approach to Tampa International. I'm a little surprised you don't get periodic glitches on TVT and TSP. Must be some metal in your roof construction attenuating that.

Not sure you need the amplification of the Terk. Don't know if there's a way to turn that off, but if you can disable the amp, you could try extending the "ears" to around 15 1/2 inches, adjusting the antenna so that the telescoping ears are parallel to the floor, then positioning the antenna so it's perpendicular to a line from your house to Riverview. If that doesn't work, try bringing the ears up to 45 degrees, then vertical. Problem with rabbit ears is they're pretty much just a pair of dipoles which work to receive signals from any direction. Having lived a long time on airport approaches, I go with a VHF-hi yagi even when I don't really need it. Rejects more multipath and interference. I have that and a long UHF yagi in separate spots in the attic. The UHF is aimed south enough to grab WWSB in addition to everyone in Riverview. The VHF is perpendicular to the middle of the Riverview tower farm.

I'd have to see your house, but I'd bet the farm there's a way to get a line down from the attic, even if it means running it down the outside of the house. I'd bet you have some DirecTV subs in your neighborhood who have done exactly that. Built in the 70s, so probably not pre-wired for cable. I'd also think about using return-air plenums, though I don't think many of those run through the attic in Florida homes. If your HVAC has a common plenum between upstairs and down, it's a thought. Being in FL, you could also consider using forward-air ducts as we don't use enough heat for that to be an issue. It ain't code, but RG-6 experiences more heat running down the side of a brick home than it ever will sitting in air ducts of a Tampa home. I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The Tampa stations are starting to make their ATSC 3.0 filings.

WMOR's RF 18 signal wil convert to ATSC 3.0 on 12/1 and carry NextGen simulcats of WFTS, WTSP and WTVT.

These will be the ATSC 1.0 simulcasts of WMOR's programming:
32.1 WMOR will be on WFTS's RF 17 signal
32.2 MeTV will be on WTSP's RF 10 signal
32.3 Estrella will be on WTVT's RF 12 signal

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure you need the amplification of the Terk. Don't know if there's a way to turn that off, but if you can disable the amp, you could try extending the "ears" to around 15 1/2 inches, adjusting the antenna so that the telescoping ears are parallel to the floor, then positioning the antenna so it's perpendicular to a line from your house to Riverview. If that doesn't work, try bringing the ears up to 45 degrees, then vertical.
Interestingly, I compressed the two ears (now about 12 inches) and now the reception seems better - even during a tropical storm.

The whole point of your recommendation seems to be reducing how much the antenna is picking up, so it makes sense, I suppose.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Both my Ant's got blown around a good 50 degrees from the wind last nite.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
The whole point of your recommendation seems to be reducing how much the antenna is picking up, so it makes sense, I suppose.
Actually, the point was matching the antenna length to the wavelength of Channel 9. 15 1/2 inches is approximately quarter-wave for 189 MHz. This "tunes" the antenna to the wavelength of WFLA.* Positioning the whips on a plane perpendicular to a line from Riverview sort of aims your antenna for the most efficient collection of that signal. The movement from parallel to the ground to vertical is meant to find the spot where the multipath is at a minimum.

* If I don't add this, another ham will: The solid tips at the ends of the whips broaden the frequency range a little, so the idea is to find the sweet spot in the middle of the frequency range you're attempting to receive. Since you don't have issues with WTSP and WTVT, I opted to go directly for 189 Mhz. If you're at 12 inches, your center frequency is now 234 Mhz, which is on the high side of Channel 13. That said, without examining the antenna, I can't tell how much of it goes down into the base, affecting length measurements. Basically, if you found a spot that works, that confirms the multipath diagnosis.

If you want some interesting reading, pick up the ARRL Antenna Book. This stuff can actually be fun once you get into it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Should we expect MeTV to look better after the switch?

How about after a new 4k box? Or will MeTV always be lower quality?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It will likely be worse since it will be squeezed in on WTSP's signal that already has 4 SD subchannels in addition to CBS's HD feed.

MeTV and Estrella won't be on RF 18's ATSC 3.0 signal. That will just carry HD simulcasts of the primary feeds of WMOR, WFTS, WTSP, WTVT and WFLA. Individual ATSC 3.0 signals that contain 4K and the subchannels won't happen for at least 5 years, and only if penetration is high enough that they can convert their remaining ATSC 1.0 signals to NextGen without losing a significant portion of their OTA audience. But considering that there currently is no mandate for manufacturers to include ATSC 3.0 tuners and as of now there are no plans to distribute coupons for free converters, the chances of that happening within 5 years is slim.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Also note that WMOR will only be able to transmit what the other stations fiber over to them, assuming they fiber over the signal. If you're expecting "The Masked Singer" in 1080p HDR, you're going to be disappointed. It'll likely be split from the same thing cable gets.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Should we expect MeTV to look better after the switch?

How about after a new 4k box? Or will MeTV always be lower quality?
I would never expect 4k ever 480i is all it will ever be. These are cheap chans with more tv ads than the show.

2381 - 2400 of 2471 Posts