AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2471 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Today i am getting chan 17.7 MOR and i already have that chan. Never seen 17.7 before.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They're probably testing it on WFTS's RF 17 to prepare for their encoders to host them, so your TV detected it and stored it under its physical RF mapping 17.7 since it already has WMOR stored as 32-1.

On December 1st when WMOR's RF 18 signal converts to ATSC 3.0, you'll need to do a full rescan to wipe the old WMOR entries from your tuner's memory and it will display the entries hosted by WFTS, WTSP and WTVT on their correct 32-x numbers.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Odd my 2017 Sony 65" A1E OLED does not pick it up. But it just popped up on my 2019 Sammy LED.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'd have to see a TSReader or other diagnostic screen to confirm, but they might be carrying it without a PSIP mapping, so some TVs ignore it and others map it with its physical number.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Now chan 10.8 pops ups on the Sammy led. ME chan. My Sony OLED does not pick up new chans without a scan.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Now chan 10.8 pops ups on the Sammy led. ME chan. My Sony OLED does not pick up new chans without a scan.
You can sure see a quality hit on 10.1 during the NFL game. They've got it throttled to a max of 7.5kbps dropping as low as 4kpbs. By comparison, WTVT, which is running basketball, is hovering around 10mbps.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I just see all these chans getting worse as they add more. Most seem to be 480i and loaded with medical ads every 5 mins. I am about done with OTA.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
WTSP is back to 10-12kbps for Sunday afternoon football. Looking at TSReader, it appears they've either shut off MeTV for the time being or are running color bars. I'll have to rescan and see if any of my sets will pick it up.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You can sure see a quality hit on 10.1 during the NFL game. They've got it throttled to a max of 7.5kbps dropping as low as 4kpbs. By comparison, WTVT, which is running basketball, is hovering around 10mbps.
Looked softer best word I can think of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone seeing the new wmor broadcast? What are you using? The TV's I've looked at seem to need a firmware update that doesn't exist. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Seems the ME chan was gone for a while and now moved again. So tired of all the moving around and having to scan and delete stuff all the time.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Seems the ME chan was gone for a while and now moved again. So tired of all the moving around and having to scan and delete stuff all the time.
MeTV is back up on WTSP, this time with the proper PSIP, making it show up as 32.2. Or that's how it's SUPPOSED to look. Currently getting < 1.5kbps

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Doing a rescan again of both of my TV's.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
From the looks of things, you shouldn’t have to rescan, again. Last I looked, WFTS is hammering WMOR. Good thing MOR doesn’t have live sports.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Until the other night when my DVR popped up a message that it couldn't tune to record Hogan's Heroes, I'd never given ATSC3.0 much thought. Since then I've read a bit about it, from what I gather it will add some options like better compression, additional formats, surround > 5.1. That's nice and all, but it leads me to wonder....

1) What's in it for the (local) networks? Why are they moving to broadcast the same(?) content twice (and in the case of WMOR at least, advertising the change)? Leverage with the cable companies? A rush to start running out the 5 year clock (as I understand it, once they start broadcasting 3.0, they have to continue broadcasting 1.0, so the sooner they start 3.0 the sooner they can drop 1.0 and presumedly free up some bandwidth for other stuff). The options to add "interaction" via internet to OTA?

2) What's in it for me? [Well, not me personally, other than Hawkeye football I don't have much use for HD. I prefer SD for the things I want to keep in my video library.] But out of curiousity, what are the networks broadcasting in 3.0 in our market providing that might make "me" want to purchase a 3.0 compatible tuner?

P.S. I have a ticket open with Schedules Direct to update their program guide info for the 1.0 channels that moved off RF18. I mentioned to them that there would be new programs on RF18, but I don't have a 3.0 capable tuner, so I won't be able to test/confirm any changes.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
From the looks of things, you shouldn’t have to rescan, again. Last I looked, WFTS is hammering WMOR. Good thing MOR doesn’t have live sports.
My Sony won't pick up anything new and will keep the old chan. But the Sammy picks up new stuff on it's own.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Until the other night when my DVR popped up a message that it couldn't tune to record Hogan's Heroes, I'd never given ATSC3.0 much thought. Since then I've read a bit about it, from what I gather it will add some options like better compression, additional formats, surround > 5.1.
This is pretty well covered in the lengthy, but informative ATSC 3.0 thread. I'll give you some Cliff's Notes on it all for starters...

1) What's in it for the (local) networks?
I think you mean local stations or network affiliates. Two things:
1) Potential mobile viewing. The modulation scheme 3.0 uses is more conducive to mobile than 8VSB. This is assuming they can get device makers to include the capability and carriers to enable it. There's also the potential for seatback entertainment systems in vehicles, which may be the reason Detroit's CBS O&O is the only CBS O&O participating, to date.

2) Targeted advertising. With 1.0, everyone sees the same ad. With 3.0, you might see different commercials during a local ad break than I do.

(as I understand it, once they start broadcasting 3.0, they have to continue broadcasting 1.0, so the sooner they start 3.0 the sooner they can drop 1.0 and presumedly free up some bandwidth for other stuff).
There's no rush to sunset 1.0. They won't do that until nearly everyone is viewing via 3.0 as it'd impact ratings. Think 10-15 years down the road. That's when these sharing stations will revert back to their own sticks, which will allow for more services and other, non-television uses.

2) What's in it for me?
That's the million-dollar question. Trade publications and the media keep touting "4K," but that's hard to do with channel-sharing. Plus, no network has indicated any interest in doing a 4K buildout as there's no way to make back the investment. This is why what 4K sports you DO see usually involves some subscription. PQ has never driven ratings. The onus is on broadcasters to come up with something that's gotta-have. A small bump in PQ probably won't send throngs of people out to sink $$ in new televisions or set-top boxes. They have to be careful. Driving viewers from cable to OTA is counterproductive thanks to the huge retransmission fees they get.

I have a ticket open with Schedules Direct to update their program guide info for the 1.0 channels that moved off RF18. I mentioned to them that there would be new programs on RF18, but I don't have a 3.0 capable tuner, so I won't be able to test/confirm any changes.
TiVo should eventually update. I don't record anything from MOR, so there's no rush. I will update Windows Media Center, myself, if need be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pamela Barber, president and general manager of Heart Television, said: “We want consumers to understand that the NextGen TV experience from local stations will be getting better and better, as more functions and features are added down the road. NextGen TV services launch in 1080P high-definition, with WMOR-TV also providing the market’s first High Dynamic Range video for enhanced performance on HDR-equipped receivers.”

2401 - 2420 of 2471 Posts