Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start the December thread!

And while I'm at it, I just got a new TIVO and have some connections questions on how to exactly connect the 3100HD, TIVO and surround receiver. Anyone out there that can help me?

Aaron

·
Registered
599 Posts
ask away. have a tivo for 3 yrs and just upgraded to DirecTivo. and have 3100HD.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jaymer.

I think the audio portion is the most confusing. For HD, I know the component output of the 3100 will go directly to the TV. Then the digital audio out from the 3100 will go to the receiver so I can choose the appriate input on the receiver to listen to 5.1 sound on the HD channels.

For the SD, I guess the s-video out will go from the 3100 to the tivo in, and then out from the tivo s-vid out into the TV. But now how do I get the digital audio for the SD channels, say, if I want to watch something using DPLII or whatever. The only other un-used outputs on the 3100 are the analog audio, which I'm under the assumption that this won't work this way.

Do I have something wrong, or am I on the right track?

Thanks much!

Aaron

·
Registered
599 Posts
well, since the TIVO is always recording, it always lags behind true live, so even if the 3100 had another set of outs, they would be out of sync with the tivo if you were watching live, and of course for time shifted events, then the sound HAS to come from the tivo, right?

depending on your tivo version (series1 or 2) would indicate if its even storing the enhanced audio - Dolby pro Logic didn't require Digital input - does DPLII? if not, just use the analog audio out of the Tivo.

My Tivo output is such crap conpared to the HD stuff I watch that I now mostly view my Tivo output on a 21 inch tv in my office instead of the "big screen" and only sit in there for the live or HiPix recorded HD.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. For some reason I thought, to be able to take advantage of the receiver's surround processing, I had to use digital audio.

So my setup should look like this:

HD

video: component out of 3100 into TV

audio: digital audio out of 3100 into receiver "TV1" input

SD

video: S-vid out of 3100, into TIVO, out of TIVO, into TV

audio: analog audio out of 3100, into TIVO, out of TIVO, into receiver "TV2" input

and everything should work ok and I should be able to get all of the surround processing modes that come thru either HD or SD? Do any SD channels offer and 5.1 audio over TW digital cable? Is that even possible?

Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
599 Posts
well, about the only thing i remember from last season via cable was Star Trek - something was coming out of the rears, but i think it was old pro logic. didn't have 5.1 back then. Your hookups look fine the way you listed them.

today, yes i think there is DD 5.1 coming from some TW channels - like Sopranos... but i'm not really the one to comment on that - someone else who has the stereo/amp side hooked up better than mine should comment on TW's 5.1 broadcasts.

I don't even use my 3100 for anything except Sopranos, Odyssey 5 and Jerimiah - and 2 of those aren't even current. If the 3100 was more expensive it would be an issue, but as cheap as it is, I pay them and just have it around for the HD shows I care about.

All my main programming (locals) comes from the Directivo or OTA (over the air) HD

jaymer...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
amheck

HBO and Showtime offer 5.1 audio including Sopranos and many movies...

Does the 3100 output SD signals over the component connection? Eric

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 3100 will output the SD shows via component, but you are locked in FULL mode on the TV. So no Cinema Wide on my Pionner 16x9 that looks so good. :)

Aaron

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
For those of you serviced by Comcast in Sarasota, you might be interested in knowing that it was reported in today's Sarasota paper that Comcast had begun to offer 4 HDTV stations -- WWSB (ABC in Sarasota), WTSP, HBO and Showtime for customers that have their digital cable box.

I contacted them at lunch, for more information, and the CSRs had no information, having read it themselves in the newspaper for the first time. I was interested in their plans to carry the other area digital affiliates (NBC, WB, Fox) and any other expansion plans.

They said I will get a call later today with further information. If I learn anything relevant, I will post it here.

Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
My son is a TW customer in upstate NY (BInghamton area). It is not a hot bed of technical inovation. In fact they just got HD about 5 months ago and it is only for HBO and SHO. In any case he got a flyer this week for DVR functions integrated into the cable box. He went and picked his up today. It is an SA 8000. Apparently brand new to them up there. It replaced his normal cable box and can record and play all at the same time. Seems to have all of the normal TIVO type functions. Works off the existing cable guide. My son said they had no documentation for it but it was dead easy to hookup and use. They are charging $5 extra a month for it. Only bad thing is no HDTV with this box.

Any info on when or if such a box will be offered here? I have a feeling with the switch out of TW we maybe in a real backwater for a while. It certainly seems to be the case for the number of HDTV local stations they have added recently (none since August!)

Harry

·
Registered
599 Posts
Harry,

what do you mean 'the switch out of TW'?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Itsbeen, yes TW here is testing them now...I have seen them and software is pretty buggy right now... until they get them stable I would imagine they wont put them out yet..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jaymer,

What I mean is that the end of the partnership that TW had with the other company (I forget their name). I believe that after the start of the year, the other company is taking over the management of the Tampa Cable system that used to be TWC.

Harry

·
Registered
409 Posts
WFTS-DT ABC will be off the air for for a day or two due to having transmission line problems.

They have about 4 or 5 20 ft. sections of bad 7 inch line at around 1000 ft on the tower. The sections are being replaced, but there is contamination in the line above and below that point.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Itsbeen, that company would be Advance/Newhouse family... Yes at the beginning of the year management responsiblities will be turned over to them as I heard and TW will still have a handle in programming for whatever reason..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Anyone else having trouble receiving 57-1?

I get everything else fairly strong using the OTA on my DTC-100. I just aquired and installed a jointenna to reject 24 and I have a seperate antenna for 24. Once I did this I got better signals for 57-1 and will receive a lock, but it is still marginal.

I went from 25% signal hit rate using a simple 3.5db splitter for the second antenna to 40% with the jointenna. For all other channels I am at 70% or higher. Does anyone know if they are not at full power? I thought their antenna location was the same as 29-1 which I get fine.

Also, what is the deal with PBS? Are they off line for good now? Everytime I check their signal I get nothing. They used to broadcast at least between 12 and 5pm.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the same setup with two antennas and a splitter. I would like to find a better way.

Whats a jointenna ?

K

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike__P
Anyone else having trouble receiving 57-1?

I get everything else fairly strong using the OTA on my DTC-100. I just aquired and installed a jointenna to reject 24 and I have a seperate antenna for 24. Once I did this I got better signals for 57-1 and will receive a lock, but it is still marginal.

I went from 25% signal hit rate using a simple 3.5db splitter for the second antenna to 40% with the jointenna. For all other channels I am at 70% or higher. Does anyone know if they are not at full power? I thought their antenna location was the same as 29-1 which I get fine.

Also, what is the deal with PBS? Are they off line for good now? Everytime I check their signal I get nothing. They used to broadcast at least between 12 and 5pm.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don't sweat the changeover to Advance Newhouse. If anything, it will improve HD for those areas (Central Florida is switching too). They've always been a partner in TWCable -- now they'll just be running their share.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those of you who have been waiting for WTOG-TV to transmit a true High Definition program on Channel 59, get ready. This Saturday night(Dec. 14) we will present an HD simulcast of "North Dallas Forty" at 8pm. This is the first offering for WTOG in the "Paramount HD One" movie package. This movie package only offers one film per month, but it is a start.

This presentation will not be advertised as we are using this feature as a test of our equipment at this time.The movie audio is only MONO(as originally produced) so don't expect 5.1 from this 1970's feature. I hope that everyone will appreciate our special offering at this time.

Thanks for watching WTOG!

Next month...Crocodile Dundee(date to be announced)

Bob Sink

WTOG Engineering

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm still having trouble getting 57.1 on my HiPix card - when I tune it, my system immediately reboots. I thought it was bad PSIP info. DavidP or BlackCatt, are you guys getting anything on WB?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.