AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested to see if I'm the only one on AVS.


I just got Tannoy Eyris 3 fronts, Eyris C center, and Eyris 1 rears, all in American walnut. Perhaps one day I'll be able to buy some dual concentrics from the Prestige line. In the meantime I am incredibly pleased with these more conventional Tannoys. Beautiful finish, solid enclosures (30mm baffles throughout the line), paper drivers that deliver low end that is tight and accurate and midrange that is lush and rich, and titanium dome tweeters that sound better than any metal tweeter I have ever heard. I have always shied away from metal domes. Never heard one that sounded as pleasing as silk. Tannoy really designed a nice tweeter with this unit. No problem with sibilance, doesn't sound harsh or metallic, and now I can enjoy the benefits of a metal tweeter, in that cymbals and brass sound more realistic than on a fabric dome.


I haven't had a chance to do any critical 2 channel listening yet, but after a long session of multi channel audio last night, I am incredibly happy. I'm a happy new loudspeaker owner, so take that into consideration as I gush about these, but these are in a different class than any loudspeaker I have ever owned. After more time with them I will post some more critical observations about their 2 and 5.1 channel performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Congrates on your new purchase, Enjoy them! Sweet looking speakers, I love the design of the cabinets. I bet the Walnut looks very beautifull. I will be looking forward to your reveiws in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Congrats on some beautiful speakers.


What made you go with Tannoys? Any past experience or were you able to audition them somewhere? Are you familiar with any of the other products made by the Tannoy group, or other British speakers in general? I ask because I've been trying to get feedback on Mordaunt-Short and Mission speakers, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth on this side of the pond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre /forum/post/0


Congrats on some beautiful speakers.


What made you go with Tannoys? Any past experience or were you able to audition them somewhere? Are you familiar with any of the other products made by the Tannoy group, or other British speakers in general? I ask because I've been trying to get feedback on Mordaunt-Short and Mission speakers, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth on this side of the pond.

I had heard the dual concentric version of the Eyris bookshelf, but not the floorstanders. I was making a bit of a stretch buying these as I did not have the kind of audition time I would have liked to. I got such a great deal on them I knew I could get more than my money back if unhappy, and bonus, not only am I happy, I'm thrilled.


These are replacing Missions in my home. My opinion is that the lower end Missions are nothing special, but are a nice speaker for the money. I think they sound a bit on the boxy side, and the floorstanders are too short given they place the tweeter below the woofer, putting the tweeters well below ear level. Their MTM designs may not have this problem. If budget is a problem, for the money the Missions are fairly detailed, and will disappear with the right material. I probably can't think of a speaker that sells for as little as the Missions that I would recommend, so it's probably the best speaker going for a budget multi channel system. I would save my money and go for Wharfedale Diamond 9.x's. It's not that the Missions are bad, but they won't take away your desire to upgrade for very long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlankton /forum/post/0


I had heard the dual concentric version of the Eyris bookshelf, but not the floorstanders. I was making a bit of a stretch buying these as I did not have the kind of audition time I would have liked to. I got such a great deal on them I knew I could get more than my money back if unhappy, and bonus, not only am I happy, I'm thrilled.


These are replacing Missions in my home. My opinion is that the lower end Missions are nothing special, but are a nice speaker for the money. I think they sound a bit on the boxy side, and the floorstanders are too short given they place the tweeter below the woofer, putting the tweeters well below ear level. Their MTM designs may not have this problem. If budget is a problem, for the money the Missions are fairly detailed, and will disappear with the right material. I probably can't think of a speaker that sells for as little as the Missions that I would recommend, so it's probably the best speaker going for a budget multi channel system. I would save my money and go for Wharfedale Diamond 9.x's. It's not that the Missions are bad, but they won't take away your desire to upgrade for very long.

I see you live in Redoak, IA, I'm in Des Moines, IA. What A/V store did you buy those at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
A pal of mine used to use these 15" Tannoy coaxes. The drivers were from Churchills and he put them in modded JBL Pro boxes. Pretty good speakers.


He used to argue on a Tannoy forum with the Alnico cultists who like the old Monitor Golds and Reds and such, those guys don't like any Tannoy made after the 1970s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Lotsa Tannoys here. All commercial or studio models though.


The main system uses mostly 8" Dual Concentrics:

-System 8 NFM II's for L and R,

-Saturn S8iw (same driver as the S8DMTII) in a bespoke sealed box for C,

-i8AW (2046 driver, same as the System 800 studio monitor and a few other Tannoys) side surround

-B475 subwoofer (18" driver, 6 cubic foot box), my first non-DIY sub in 12 years of owning subs. It has in-room extension in my room to the mid-20's with (as one would expect for a pro sub) more output capability than I care to use.

(The rear surrounds are not by Tannoy, but KEF Q-Compacts.)


Because of space constraints in my living room, my home office system, which is more of a nearfield system, uses bigger and better Tannoys. CPA-12's (12" paper-cone Dual) for L and R, a 12 DMT II (12" poly cone Dual) for C, and two more of the aforementioned 2046 drivers in bespoke cabinets for surround. The sub is not by Tannoy but a DIY job using a Peerless XLS12 - the woofer in Genelec's flagship subs - and the matching passive radiator.


I bought most of the speakers for both systems on eBay.


I must admit, I'm not crazy about Tannoy's current residential lineup. They seem to have gone small, pushing tiny Dual Concentrics for decor's sake and sacrificing dynamic capability. For example, their previous least expensive Dual featuring line started with a 6.5" dual but went up to a mighty 10" Dual with a supplemental woofer. That S10 cost about $2200, which made it a high-end audio bargain of some note. Now you can't get a Dual bigger than 6.5" from them without stepping up to the super-pricey TD-series. Speaking of which, those speakers look fantastic but have less bass impact and more midband distortion at high levels than the old D-series, because of Tannoy's decision to drop the second woofer that played from ~300Hz down on the D-series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 /forum/post/0


I must admit, I'm not crazy about Tannoy's current residential lineup. They seem to have gone small, pushing tiny Dual Concentrics for decor's sake and sacrificing dynamic capability. For example, their previous least expensive Dual featuring line started with a 6.5" dual but went up to a mighty 10" Dual with a supplemental woofer. That S10 cost about $2200, which made it a high-end audio bargain of some note. Now you can't get a Dual bigger than 6.5" from them without stepping up to the super-pricey TD-series. Speaking of which, those speakers look fantastic but have less bass impact and more midband distortion at high levels than the old D-series, because of Tannoy's decision to drop the second woofer that played from ~300Hz down on the D-series.

My Eyris 3's have two 7" drivers. I think for some people their bass extension would be enough, but if you are a fan of large scale orchestral works, or like to rock, they need a subwoofer. On the plus side, the bass that is there is very tight and accurate, nothing plump or lean about it, and I'm not against running my sub with them to fill out the picture. If I was running a 2 channel dedicated setup I would want more bass extension.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to get the wife to sign off on a pair from the Prestige line. Maybe a pair of Yorkminsters, someday. In the meantime, I'm thrilled with my Eyris system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
New here been looking for 1st hand experience before I purchase the Tannoy arena 5.1 package. Anyone own these because I can't find any reviews never the less one from a reputable source. I heard the speakers and they sound amazing and are going at a pretty decent price all I need is a little reassurance before I bite the bullet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out www.avforums.com


It's a British site that is somewhat comparable to avs, but on a lesser scale.

The loudspeaker forum has a decidedly British focus, and a definite sub/sat slant. You should be able to find something there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I'm a relatively new Tannoy owner.


1 month ago I purchased a set of Eyris DC1s for side channels and a DCC as a center channel.


My previous setup used Paradigm Studio 20s as front and a Paradigm CC-370 as a center. My initial thought was to pick up Studio 40s for fronts and move the 20s to the rear. I recently moved and my new local shop deals Tannoy as well as Paradigm. He had me listen to the Studio 40s and the Eyris DC1s and there was no comparison. The Studio 40s are nice speakers but sound bright and a little bit hollow compared to the DC1s. The DC1s are incredibly warm with great sound reproduction throughout the scale. Mid/Highs are particualarly amazing. Sound staging on the Eyris is also considerably better than the Studio 40s. I'll admit that on hard rock heavy guitar tracks the Studio 40s sound a bit more natural whereas the Tannoys come to life more on vocals & acoustic instruments. Bass on the Eyris is tight & controlled although a sub is necessary for home theater and to give some extra kick to rock music.


Home theater reproduction is amazing with my current system. The Eyris DCC is the best sounding CC I have yet to hear. Vocal reproduction is simply amazing.


The rest of my system is a Yammy RX-V1700 receiver, Paradimg PW2100 sub, Paradigm Atoms for rear CC's and Jammo somethings for side channels in a 7.1 system. The Tannoys clearly outperform the remainder of the system but I see no need to upgrade the other speakers when they are really only providing minimal surround effects.


About the best thing I can say about my new system is that I want to listen to music again. I've been burnt out with all my older music and haven't found anything new that really turns me on. But even old familiar stuff sounds fresh again and I'm picking up on subtleties & nuances that I never knew existed.

And I've just discovered the DVD-A recoding of the Beatles Love and have some SACD stuff on the way.


Let the good times roll.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bet the DCC center is great. I'm very impressed with my C center.


The price point the Eyris and Eyris DC's swim in is a crowded pool, but these speakers are great and deserve a listen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I have a 20-year old pair of Tannoy Saturn S30 mains in my HT setup. On advice from Tannoy NA and my local retailer, I have just ordered a Mercury FC center channel.


I had planned to audition new mains and center, but the S30s still sound so pleasing to me that I decided to simply add a Tannoy center channel. Cheap, simple, and maximizes the WAF!


I've recently added an SVS PB10 sub to what was a 4.0 system, and the Mercury FC will complete my 5.1 setup. Well, at least until the next bout of upgradeitis hits.


I'm amazed a venerable, quality company like Tannoy hasn't attracted a larger following in the U.S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlankton /forum/post/0


My Eyris 3's have two 7" drivers. I think for some people their bass extension would be enough, but if you are a fan of large scale orchestral works, or like to rock, they need a subwoofer.

All speaker setups need a subwoofer, because getting the bass out of the mains leads to cleaner presentation throughout the musical spectrum. I think the Eyris 3's are decent for their size, but I'd never be satisfied with two 7" woofers. Passages that are really dense with energy, such as massed strings or some choral works, just need as much cone area and volume displacement as can be brought to them. A 10" dual with a dedicated 10" midbass for the front three channels (I've found that surrounds can be orders of magnitude less capable than the mains with no sonic penalty), crossed to a good-sized subwoofer, is probably a useful minimum for Mahler, Shostakovich, Brucker, and stuff like that. When I ever get around to building my dream main LCR's, they're going to have the 12" Tannoy Duals from my home office (CPA12, System 12 DMT II) covering ~300Hz up, and a top-flight 15" woofer (perhaps JBL 2235H or B&C 15TBX100) for 60-300Hz. Basically a middle-class Tannoy Kingdom, albeit with a better woofer than Tannoy themselves use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
I had Saturn S8LR's for the front, S6LR's for the rear and a S6C center. Pretty sweet for theater and music. I still have the S6C if anyone is interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Anyone own any vintage Tannoys? I just passed by the ugliest Tannoy i had ever seen. Boxy cabinet with a 15" woofer and a horn in a coaxial config. Marvelous sound though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
I am also a vintage Tannoy owner.


I picked up a pair of HPD-385's in Arden cabinets a few months ago.


For those who aren't familiar with them, they're a 15" dual concentric speaker made in the 70's.


When I auditioned them, I was pretty impressed with them. But when I got them at home, that quickly changed. They sounded very dull and distant. I tried some different cables and it made a improvement.


A month or so later I upgraded the crossovers. I replaced the 30 year old caps and resistors with Solen caps and Mills resistors. BIG difference! Highs came alive, bass improved, mids became a little clearer.


I then added polyfill and some more foam to the cabinet. Mids became clearer immediately, but my bottom end became weak. I removed some polyfill and most of the missing bass returned. I'd rather give up a little bass to have clear mids, so I'm leaving it as it for now.


Recently, I upgraded the caps again, this time from Solen to Sonic Caps. I also upgraded the internal wiring to a silver/copper hybrid cable. After about 100 hours of break in time, these sound even more impressive than before. At first, I still preferred the sound of my Saturn S8's to these, now these blow my Saturns away.


My next set of upgrades will consist of a new cabinet to replace these rattle boxes. 3/4" sides and back, 1" front, 2 3/4" shelves, made of MDF and with a slightly larger volume. The crossover will also be externally mounted. I may also upgrade the internal wiring again. This time it will be to Goertz's Alpha Core AG series cable, to match the wiring from my amp to the cabinets.


Then I'll have to find something else to tinker with. I'll probably upgrade the crossovers in my S8C and S8's that I'm using in my surround setup.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top