AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 /forum/post/9803473

Lotsa Tannoys here. All commercial or studio models though.

Updated from above. Now every non-subwoofer I use is a Tannoy Dual Concentric.

Main system

LCR: System 12 DMT II (studio midfield monitor)

Surround: 2046's (8" Dual, used in the System 800, etc.) in bespoke cabinets

(unlike my old home, my current living room is not conducive to a 7.1-channel layout, so it's just a 5.1-channel system)

Upper sub: B475 (for now, at least) (18" studio subwoofer)

Non-Tannoy: Bespoke sealed subwoofer with Ascendant Avalanche 18 (for now; ordered an Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X to replace it)

Nearfield/computer/bedroom system

LCR: System 8 NFM II

(no surrounds, just 3-channel front stage)

Non-Tannoy: JBL W15GTi driver in bespoke sealed subwoofer cabinet.

Currently in storage:

2 x CPA-12 (12" paper cone Dual Concentric)

2 x i8AW (8" Dual from the old System 800 nearfield monitor), but these are probably going on my balcony as soon as I run wires there.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 /forum/post/11463373

Well, they ended up being S8's instead. So it was two S8's and a S8C new in box for $500.

That's a screaming deal. I have S8's, an S8C, EFX-1's, and a PS350 sub. And now that I have the fronts powered by an AB 4200 amp it really breathes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie here, my very first home theater audio system consists of 2 MX4Ms in the front, MxC center and 2 MX2s in the rear. I have bought these speakers back in 2003 and at that time, I was looking at the said Tannoys and Paradigms (I cannot remember what series, it was a long time ago, but in the same price range as the Mx3s ~$700/pr...)

I went to Trutone, here in Mississauga (Greater Toronto Area) and initially I wanted the Mx3s for the front(1 bass driver vs. 2 for the Mx4). Test drive time, the sales guy connected the Mx3s as the "A" front pair and the Paradigms as the "B" speakers on a Yamaha RX-V 2300 (IIRC), with all the enhancements at 0 and we started with The Eagles live in concert (yes, Hotel California), then they had AC/DC (Thunderstruck), then I wanted to also listen to a techno track, to complete the test. Switching simultaneously from A to B, automatically gave a huuge leading edge to the Tannoys, not only on the top end, but mids and bass too (which surprised me because the Paradigms had a larger volume enclosure and IIRC the bass driver was some 1/2" to 1" larger in diameter vs the Tannoys).

I ended up getting the Mx4s instead of the Mx3s because the center and rears were a demo set offered to me for an attractive price and the saved money went towards a front set upgrade.

Now, 6 years later the speakers still perform like champs and the only upgrade I want is a larger front set that will allow me to get rid of the JBLs I have for the rear effects, replacing them with the Mx2s. But that is a few months away.

I have learned my lesson when I bought these and stopped looking at written specs; the best way to choose your speakers is to go to the store, close your eyes and listen...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am considering purchasing some Tannoy Eyris DC speakers for my HT. Looking at getting the Eyris DC3, DCC and DC1. Heard the DC3 in 2 channel and it sounded nice and smooth. No harshness at all. Will be going back to hear the complete set up in a 5.1 configuration. Anyone else out there have any opinions good/bad about the Eyris DC line up?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well my dealer let me take home a complete Eyris DC package. I got an Eyris DC3, DCC and DC1. All the speakers are beautiful. I have the sycamore finish which looks great. The cabinets are solid. The binding pots are top notch and overall build quality is fantastic.

Will give them a good listen for the next week with 2 ch and 5.1. I'll report back with my impressions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So far these speakers are just amazing. Have done alot of 2 ch listening through the Eyris DC3 and it is pure joy. Music sounds so lively. Each instument can be placed in the soundstage. Fantastic sound. On to some Blu Ray watching with DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

New member, first time post. Haven't dont much research about this question.

My father recently mentioned that his 60s Tannoy speakers have a mechanical crossover. Does this make sense? He is pretty knowledgeable about audio, but I was suprised.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well I am happy to say that I am a Tannoy owner now. Kept the Eyris DC3, DCC and DC1 after my 1 week in home demo. I was just floored by the performance of these speakers. Incredible soundstage and accuracy in 2 channel or 5.1 surround sound. Fantastic. I highly recommend Tannoy to anyone looking for speakers in the future. You will be amazed.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinescu /forum/post/16114059

Newbie here, my very first home theater audio system consists of 2 MX4Ms in the front, MxC center and 2 MX2s in the rear. I have bought these speakers back in 2003 and at that time, I was looking at the said Tannoys and Paradigms (I cannot remember what series, it was a long time ago, but in the same price range as the Mx3s ~$700/pr...)

I went to Trutone, here in Mississauga (Greater Toronto Area) and initially I wanted the Mx3s for the front(1 bass driver vs. 2 for the Mx4). Test drive time, the sales guy connected the Mx3s as the "A" front pair and the Paradigms as the "B" speakers on a Yamaha RX-V 2300 (IIRC), with all the enhancements at 0 and we started with The Eagles live in concert (yes, Hotel California), then they had AC/DC (Thunderstruck), then I wanted to also listen to a techno track, to complete the test. Switching simultaneously from A to B, automatically gave a huuge leading edge to the Tannoys, not only on the top end, but mids and bass too (which surprised me because the Paradigms had a larger volume enclosure and IIRC the bass driver was some 1/2" to 1" larger in diameter vs the Tannoys).

I ended up getting the Mx4s instead of the Mx3s because the center and rears were a demo set offered to me for an attractive price and the saved money went towards a front set upgrade.

Now, 6 years later the speakers still perform like champs and the only upgrade I want is a larger front set that will allow me to get rid of the JBLs I have for the rear effects, replacing them with the Mx2s. But that is a few months away.

I have learned my lesson when I bought these and stopped looking at written specs; the best way to choose your speakers is to go to the store, close your eyes and listen...

Good story!

When I moved to Canada from the UK 10 years ago, I went to the local hifi store and auditioned several sets of speakers including PSB, Paradigm, B&W and Tannoy.

I settled on the Tannoy mX3 for the fronts, mXc for the centre and eventully I finsihed of the five set by getting some Mercury mXR's for the surrounds.

Still using them now and they seem to sound better the longer I have them!

You need a sub with them though as they do start to roll off (the mx3's) around 60hz although they are rated down to 38hz.

Was thinking about moving them upstairs and getting a replacement set for the basement.

Anyone have any experience with the Revolution / Revolution Signature range?

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
Listened to Rev's at CEDIA 2008. Not bad for the money.

Here are some differences:

Rev - made in China

Rev - slightly differenct crossover design and components

Rev - different cabinet design and veneers [cheaper]

Rev Sig - has the DC6 driver option.

I use 3 x Defintion Install DC12i for LCR, IW62TDC inwall surrounds and 2 x Definition Install Sub15i with out board amp. Sounds great! Probalby the best bang for the buck I've ever installed.

I'd like to hear the new Definition DC10t! I could always order a pair I guess...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Hi, can but new old stock Tannoy speakers, a set Eyris 1 or a set Revolution Signature DC6.

The Eyris 1 is 150 GBP cheaper then the DC6.

The selling company told me they had both models side by side and they prevered the Eyris 1

Will (can) a "normal" Eyris 1 sound better then a DC speaker ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
My front speakers are Tannoy Saturn S10's with S8's in the rear and center.

SVS subwoofer completes the setup.

I've had them since 2001 and the sound is awesome.

Can anyone verify the impedance of these Tannoy's?

Thank you.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_New_Guy /forum/post/19855295

Anyone have much experience with the DC12i?

Not yet, but last month I did get 3 of the 12" drivers used in the DC12i for LCR in my theater. Haven't built anything yet for them, but initial testing shows looks promising. The room was going to get System 1000's (10" drivers), but a deal I couldn't refuse came up on these. I really like the 10's, so the 12's should be really, really, like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Proud owner of Tannoy DC4T for the front end of my HT set up and DC4's for the side/rear. Also the Sub 1001. Still looking for a centre channel. Love the Tannoy sound, so clear and bright.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Wow, I guess there aren't that many of us owners around here! I just picked up a pair of the Tannoy Revolution DC4 for my bedroom. What a nice sounding speaker. I own mostly Paradigm speakers, Monitor 7 v3, cc370, and Signature S6. Plus Totem Lynks. I find the DC4 to be less bright than the Monitor 7 with a real nice mid range.

I looked for some time to find something that wouldn't break the budget yet have a decent sounstage. Under the $250 range per pair, most bookshelf models seem to reach their limits more easily. The DC4 is not cheap, but I got them on clearance for $200 and they match well with my Onkyo 504 with 75 watts per channel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just found this thread by accident. I'm the proud owner of a pair of 638's I've had since about 1995. I purchased them overseas in Dubai (before anyone even knew about the city). They've held together very well over the years except for something stupid my stepkid did a few years back. That required replacement of the dual concentric drivers, and I was quite surprised and grateful that the parts support was still out there for my model. I've been very pleased with their performance and I've successfully integrated them into my HT system using KEF dual concentric surrounds. It seems most every other Tannoy owner here has either vintage or more recent model speakers. Am I "blinded by the light", so to speak, by my 638's or are they just not that common?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello All:

My Tannoy DC6T revolution Sig's come with a 5th binding post for grounding. The manual says to connect to grounding screw on amplifier. My Bel Canto amplifier does not have a ground connection. Any thoughts?

Thanks

21 - 40 of 51 Posts