AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Tape Hiss a good thing on a CD track?

I just heard quite of a bit of it on My Love Open the Door of an 80s compilation, and it kind of made me feel nostaligic
Then I thought about whether it was good or bad, and decided I liked it. It meant to me, that the people making the CD had not messed with the original track much.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I only have a problem with tape hiss if it's in a quiet section and it competes with the music. Older classical recordings, especially.

Yes, most experience I've had with hiss removal in the past, seemed to alter the sound (removed critical highs, etc.). I'm sure there are new methods that will lower the hiss with a minimum of effect to the overall sonics, but I still would prefer the CD or LP, or whatever, to remain as faithful to the original as possible.

Even if that means a little hiss.

shane

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know about hiss, but the "hum" in SRV's Little Wing is way cool !! It's his tube amp being picked up by the studio mics.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyztmmb /forum/post/17036762

I don't know about hiss, but the "hum" in SRV's Little Wing is way cool !! It's his tube amp being picked up by the studio mics.

Everything about that track is 'way cool'.

shane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.