AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a JVC 30k to do some recording. I have a Panny HD1000/DST50 in another room that I'd like to use to playback tapes made by the JVC. Are there any problems with this?

I noticed a lot of threads about playing old HD1000 tapes on the JVC but couldn't find anything about the other way around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No. It'll be just fine.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Nothing I record using the AVX-1 and Mits will play on the Panny system. Only Mits and the 169Time from the Dish5000/HDTVmod or OTA will play back on the Panny. Therefore I stopped using the AVX-1 system for archiving and only use it now for time shifting. This may not be an issue with the JVC now but I do recall it being a problem last Fall with the original AVX. All Panny system recorded tapes play on the Mits.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The AVX-1 is not compatible with several playback decoders. It's a AVX-1 compatibility problem. I don't use the AVX-1 anymore. I also can not get the AVX-1 to make good recordings (no microfreeze).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reponses guys. I'll post my results once I get everything in order. I'm not using the 169time/AVX-1, so that won't be a factor.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The JVC 30k came yesterday and I hooked it up to do some testing. Old tapes that I have which were recorded on the hd1000 play in the JVC but there is no sound. Picture is perfect however. I also have the old Panasonic DVHS loop demo tape that they used in stores to display HDTVs. That tape plays on the JVC and the hd1000 with no problems. Sound and picture are fine.

However, what I really wanted to be able to do was record on the JVC and play on the hd1000. Just to do a quick test, I decided to connect the hd1000 to the JVC with the firewire and try recording a copy of one of the old tapes on the JVC. I did that with the demo tape as well as a copy of Shrek. Both copies play back fine on the JVC, but barely play on the hd1000. No sound and the picture is a mess with digital noise. I tried a few times with the same results each time. I'm fairly sure there isn't anything I'm doing wrong, but I was hoping maybe someone here had some other ideas before I give up and just buy another JVC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I've got an update: My hd1000 is a demo model that I purchased 3 years ago. I replaced the upper head cylinder shortly after I bought it because of the poor recording capability. I've been using it since, not heavily but at least occasionally, and haven't had any problems with recording or playback.

This is the first time I've tried exchange tapes between different decks.

I tried testing a few more tapes recorded on the JVC and still had the same results as before when playing them back in the Panasonic. Just as a last ditch idea, I took out the upper cylinder from the hd1000 and put back in the orginal one and now everything works perfectly. Obviously I haven't yet had a chance yet to test this over a longer period of time, but I'm hoping it continues to function well. I'm really no longer planning on using the hd1000 for recording, so as long as it can play I'll be happy.

Anyone have a logical explanation? Gridleak, are you still out there?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.