AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i started fishing around for a GHorn design, and turned out driver availability is problematic....

So, i have a nice spec sheet on my coveted Tumults. Is this possible ????

It would be nice to get four of these drivers out of their sealed cabs and ready for a new room with more cubic feet. Clearly i will be giving up bottom octave, but it would be soooo fricken cool to see the backside of the Tumults?...

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I didn't have a positive experience trying to use mine in a PR box. Of course when you have an inductance induced hump like this free air close mic measurement shows (green trace) not much is going to work well.

Ok so you kind of snuck this in when I was typing my response. Explain what I am looking at.

I assume you mean the model is the smooth one, and the peaky one is the real measurement ?

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not keep them sealed? (Are they sealed now?)

What is the point of your wanting to change things? You want more output? Different sound ?
I'm looking at a space that will be too big for my four sealed tumults.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep them nearfield and use/build something else for the 'main' sub system.
That was my original thought when a new room idea came around. I already had (4) QSC1450's and a MiniDSP 2x4.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't have a positive experience trying to use mine in a PR box. Of course when you have an inductance induced hump like this free air close mic measurement shows (green trace) not much is going to work well.

Omg, i thought that free air measurement was normal. That looks just like the curve mine throws...... Either sealed or free air.

Instead of boosting the bottom frequencies and The top frequencies to flatten out the FR, i simply pulled down the hump with a single PEQ and called it a day with 10hz-60hz response...

As planned these guys will be used for nearfield tuning once i settle on a solid mainnsub design.....

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is your budget? How big is this new room? SPL requirements?

Four 15's up close will be pretty loud so you may not need such a huge sub elsewhere.
Im renting the upstairs in a double. The downstairs is demo'd and being rebuilt by the owner, very very slowly...

I may offer to buy the house, remove one door on the first fllor and make it a single dwelling. The living room has a double pocket door divider, one room normal living room the other a HT.

I will measure tonite

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.