AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this was the best forum so I figured I would try here. I have repaired many of crt's and monitors, but never touched a plasma. This is my first and all I can say is wow! Friend brought me a Tatung P42HSMT plasma. At first it would not turn on. Unplugged it for a couple minutes and it finally turned on, but the screen is black and different colored dots in patched on the screen that seem to move with the image. They flicker all over the place. After I opened her up I found 2 - 450v 300uf and 2 - 250v 1000uf caps on the main power supply board bulged out the top and 2 were leaking all over the board. Could this cause the screen problem? I am using this as an trial with repairing plasma's and would hate to pay $30 for 4 caps that won't work. If this won't do it, anybody have any suggestions on what could? The inside of the unit is very dusty, but no other visible damage (no blown mosfets, voltage regultors, diodes check good). If possible would anybody happen to have a service manual or a board schematic for this set? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. Hoping somebody can help me out here. I replaced the high voltage caps that I found bad, but no change. I have also attached a picture of the screen. Hopefully somebody can give me some ideas of what's going on with this thing. No matter what I do that is basically all I get. The pixels will rearange themselves or change color when an input source is applied or going to the menu, but nothing more then that.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I'd give it back to your friend and tell him to buy another plasma. There's a reason that Tatung is cheap!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was thinking about that to. I haven't ever even heard of a tatung before this. All of the boards inside are Samsung boards though. So I'm guessing it's a rebadged Samsung. I can't find a service manual anywhere. I'm leaning more towards the YSUS board though. But not fully sure, and have no idea how to test it. I can get one of those for $100. I have been repairing electronics for years and I figured I wanted to see what the plasma's were about. Now I see why people get paid so much for repairing them!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts