1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27,570 Posts
It is gonig to be a LCOS!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Wasn't this supposed to have a special new sulfur plasma light source.

Phil said it was going to be a show stopper at Cedia, 2001 that is.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
93 Posts
In reading the announcement he states the processor that sells with the unit so I assume thats another 6 to 10k for a total of near 30k.

Buy a G15 9k, panamorph lens 1k, FE CS 1 processor with DVI out 2k

calibration 1k=13k.

Hitachi 6k, these are very quiet and same panel,panamorph 1k, FE CS-1 2k

no calibration=9k

Now Taw says great blacks, Until someone sees this thing I bet its no better than any other digital projector. Taw states everything they sell is better and while they make nice products (no better than anything else out there) maybe they mean to say bigger is better because their price keeps getting BIGGER:) so it must be better.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM

I thought Runcos already were rebadges of a sort, or tweaks on other company's products.
???. I am asking if the TAW product is an LCOS product designed and built by them (TAW) or if it is a rebadged JVC or Hitachi product, aka the way Runco rebadges (improves?) other manufacturers products.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Humey
Right

Dila and Lcos are one and the same. Dila is the brand, LCOS is the technology
Humey,

No - the Hitachi 5500 is an LCOS, but not a D-ILA.

D-ILA is JVC's trademark for their version of LCOS.

When you say "D-ILA" - it really means the unit is of JVC parentage.

The Hitachi 5500 uses LCOS technology - but not JVC D-ILA chips. [The chips in the Hitachi are different than JVC's -

they use different polarizations. ]

Albeit, in the common vernacular the use of tradenames is rather sloppy - witness the use of the word "Kleenex" even

if the "tissue" in not made by the "Kleenex" company.

Greg

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Indeed, from TAW's forum I see that it's a 4:3 chip, 1365x1024. So with the Panny you get either 4:3 or 16:9.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Morbius.

I stand corrected, but to me you are arguing semantics. Dila is the JVC brand of Lcos technology and while Hitachi has their own version of the technology, its like telling people not to use the words Scotch tape when buying tape from another company

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I think that the important question here is...IS the TAW projector indeed a D-ILA brand LCOS or another LCOS?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Also...

"Band-aid" for an adhesive bandage

"Q-Tip" for a cotton swab

"Xerox" for a paper copy

"Escalator" for a moving staircase

These companies can actually lose their trademark if it becomes "genericized" like Escalator did.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.