AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I dont think thats it unless they can make a higher wattage version. I read they only had 150 and 200 watters. By time a 200 watt bulb passed through the dilas panels there would not be much light left. As a possitive side effect you would definetly have true black.

The 200 watter in a dlp would blister the screen.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, the website says the 100-200 watt bulb is ONE thing they're working on. They also say they're working on other projects, including displays.

- m

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yes the TAW bulb is an electrodless vessel. But it is

made by a different company. And i know who it is too.

(Think MUCH bigger company). No electrodes. RF induction

driven. 20,000 bulb life. Runs stone cold. No fan

needed...

I'm in trouble now...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Kevin

What's in the water over your way! With all this bulb talk (eg 500w DILA and now TAW) your starting to glow!

Does it start with "P" or "O" ??

You may as well spill the beans as the cats out, and the dog can not catch her now.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys this one is pretty easy. TAW will use LEDS. I am a sales engineer in the opto-electronics industry. LEDS are the wave of the future. For LEDS, they talk life times of 10,000 to 100,000 without cooling ! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Laser Projection Is Coming!

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts

Sounds interesting. How would you achieve the needed color temperature and how many would be needed to get the job done. I would think there would be some sort of light amplifier needed.

Tell us more!

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
Alan,

From reading their info, it does not look like the wattage scales the same way for these bulbs as it does for Xenon or household bulbs. Most of the power in current bulbs is wasted as heat. The fusion bulbs are much more efficient so they could wind up being brighter and lots cooler as well.

-- John

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kevin,

Will there be any way for end users to purchase the bulbs in the future and have them retrofitted to current D-ILAs? With the existence of Dilard Calibration, end users would be able to get a bulb and easily recalibrate their D-ILA for higher light and accurate color output. One would also be able to replace or turn off the fans so no more noise or hushboxes.

I can just imagine it now. Turn your 1000 lumen D-ILA to a 2000 or 3000 lumen one without noise or heat. I'm just grinning... technology is great. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-- John

·
Registered
707 Posts
brzez,

One might want to consider that the new lamp will most likely have different spectral characteristics (R,G,B content) than the original Xenon lamp. This lamp may not be optimized for use with the current dichroics etc. in the light path possibly affecting the color accuracy of the display and the calibration (even with a recalibration). Running brighter, cooler, and longer are all terrific features to have providing a very low operating cost lamp however if the picture quality is compromised it isn't worth the effort.

New projectors can certainly utilize these new technologies since they are being designed from a clean sheet of paper. I would be skeptical of retrofitting a different type of lamp into a DILA projector and getting better performance characteristics than the original design. But you never know unless you try do you?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think they are supposed to show it at CES 2002, I couldn't say how long after that it would take to make it to the consumer though.

You know, whatever people say about TAW they are really working hard over there. Integrating a new bulb technology is certainly a lot more than some OEM's do with their projectors. The Rock's not bad either. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I think ghibliss is right though, the colour primaries will change unless they are modifying the dichroic filters. That may not be too bad as long as they calibrate the projector for the new gamut (depending on where the primaries move to).

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Premium Member
24,986 Posts
"One might want to consider that the new lamp will most likely have different spectral characteristics (R,G,B content) than the original Xenon lamp"

I think I remember seeing a graph on the JVC that showed that the bulb spectrum was split into 3 broad bands, not narrow ranges.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
918 Posts
Kevin/Mark: Haven't you been working on calibrating the output from DILAs. Perhaps a cold non-linear bulb could have the panels adjusted for a linear output...hmmmmm.

Mark

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1990aggie:
Guys this one is pretty easy. TAW will use LEDS. I am a sales engineer in the opto-electronics industry. LEDS are the wave of the future. For LEDS, they talk life times of 10,000 to 100,000 without cooling ! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Hey, I said that over here... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008798.html

btw, I hear that some Texas Aggies are working on DED's - do you know about those? Dark Emitting Diodes might be the solution to true black levels <grin>

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi

Does anyone have any idea, if this new projector will have better blacks? I seem to remember TAW saying something about this projector should compete with 9" CRT's. I dont see this happen unless it has better blacks than now?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
842 Posts
Does it start with "P" or "O" ??

Way bigger than osram.

Most likely bigger than phillips too (close on this one)

will look up efficiencies for the rest of the bulbs,

if you know it you can post.

A 500 watt cermax xenon bulb (g20) puts out 65 watts

of light, the rest is heat. 13% efficiency

A 75 watt rf induction lamp puts out 35 watts of light.

46% efficient. Can be made to put out the right spectrum.

A 45 watt ccfl lamp puts out about 30 watts of light.

66% efficient. Color temp stinks.

A 60 watt incandecent bulb puts out less than 5 watts

of light (GRIM)

UHP bulbs ???

·
Registered
918 Posts
GE brings good things to life.

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I was away for a bit. Anyway, take a peek at one of the major LED manufactures: http://www.lumileds.com/cust_lighting/index.html http://www.lumileds.com/news/lumen.html

Now this is done with white LEDS,you can gang a bunch together and make a light engine!

I wonder what would happen if you got red,green,& blue ones together? Hmmmm. LEDS are great, but the future of our hobby lies with lasers.

You will know the future is here when someone annouces the they can provide green lasers @ 1watt output for commercial sale. The problem is not with blue or red lasers at 1 watt output, but green ones. They apply InAlGaN on a substrate to achieve light output. The problem is you can't get the epitaxy layer uniform on the sustrate (Indium, Aluminum, Gallium, Nitride). When this happens watch out!! Any projection equiptment you have is obsolete. A president of of well known company said you could have projector the size of a slim laptop, it would not require fans and would project a HDTV picture 30 meters wide! I almost fell over when he told me that. Anyway sorry for getting off point.

The answer is LEDS! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Later, I have got to go watch some college football!

------------------

Laser Projection Is Coming!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
GE brings good things to life.

-=-

Mark
I new that cat was faster.

Do we have a GE web page reference on rf driven bulbs?

Love this forum.

DavidW

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.