AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, Has anyone ever seen or have a TAW-HD800 or have an opinion of them?,as I am looking at a projector to upgrade my dinosaur. Are there any projectors that are as good or better for the money? It has 8" guns,would 9" be better? Viewing distance is 14ft with a screen size of something like 58" x 104"

Any help would be appreciated

Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
From what I have read and compared TAW-HD800 is practically Electrohome's M 8000, which I have and they are great. Go for it.!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Abshar,

I saw one in action at CEDIA tied to a Rock. I liked it so much I went back two MORE times. It was so close to a 9" in performance I was shocked. I wrote a little summary of the CRTs at the CEDIA show and posted it here, and I rated the TAW-800 as the most impressive at the show. Not quite the best, because there were 9" guns there as well, but the image was just astounding on the TAW package setup. Clearly the best image I ever saw out of an 8".

That's a big screen at 104", though. An 8" is going to be limited just because of light output.

I don't sell the stuff, but it seems clear that the projector + Rock combined with their SDI out DVD player would be very tough to beat.

In the three years I've been hanging around the forum, the one element I hear consistently is their service. I seems they go out of their way to keep people happy.

Ted

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have seen one at a friend's house, and I must say I was mighty tempted. In many ways it was comparable to my Barco 808s. What was better was the excellent edge-to-edge geometry and focus, and the color red was better than on the Barco. The TAW version has a fairly short throw, which might be a consideration. But for a new projector, as opposed to a used or refurbished one, I think it's an excellent deal and an excellent projector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a talk with one of the Taw dealers because I was going to buy the rock and they told me they just increased the price of their projector to $25k

At 25K it is no longer a good deal!

If your going to spend 25K you might as well get a Runco. It will hold its value in the market better.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"Are there any projectors that are as good or better for the money? It has 8" guns,would 9" be better?"

Steve,

What is the money amount?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 2 cents worth. Firstly as I understand it, the TAW HD800 is a version (with some modifications) of tne Electrohome Marquee 8110, not the 8000. Secondly I seriously doubt you will ever,ever find a new projector as cost effective as an old with respect to performance. What you get for the extra payment is new and guaranteed versus used and in most cases,unknown. It all depends on your priorities. I also believe that the TAW HD800 is available by special order with 9 inch tubes

Paul

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
The TAW HD800 is the Marquee 8110 rebadged. It has the lowest specs of all of the Marquee series.

The 8000, 9000, 8500, 8500LC, 9500LC all have a scan rate of 130Khz horizontal rate, the exception is the 9500LC Ultra (150Khz)

The 8000, 9000 series was discontinued awhile back.

The 8110's scan rate is 110Khz.

8110 200 ansi lumens (8" CRT)

8500 225 ansi lumens (8" CRT)

8500LC 235 ansi lumens (8" CRT)

9500LC 240 ansi lumens (9" CRT)

The 8110 (TAW HD800) does not have the following features that are common on the 8500/9500 Marquee's:

- Electronic 9 zone astigmatism correction.

- 8 Zone contrast modulation control.

Paul,

a used or rebuilt Marquee projector in most cases will still perform like new, and will do it for a many years to come. It is very well made, period. New or properly rebuilt, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

I've started a install/setup of a Marquee 9500LC earlier this week, the customer (forum member) purchased this projector from Tim Martin (E-tech), I bought in one of my techs who used to work for me, we both have taking the raps off of a many brand new Marquees for install/setup. This was the first bebuilt Marquee that the tech had seen. I positioned the projector to the wall and bought up a grid pattern, the tech saw how tight the grid was and he said to me: "I thought you said this was a used projector" I replied, "it is". This Marquee was used (rebuilt), but it had tighter lines than many of the factory new units that we had setup in commercial installs. So a rebuilt Marquee can be better or look better than a new one. They should be good and stable for upto 50,000 hours.

Steve,

"Would a 9" be better"

yes!

"Are there any projectors that are as good or better for the money?"

What is the money????

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Steve,

do a search for Tim Martin. he rebuilds the Marquee 9500LC. The price is around $17,000. you would be getting a rebuilt 9" CRT projector that has had a many mods and improvements done, and it will have brand new tubes. It is one of the best CRT projectors made, Also, there is the G90, which is Sony's 9" high performance projector. Both are the top of the line CRT projectors.

Rebuilt is the way to go, you get so much for so little...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Rumors of my disappearance are greatly exaggerated!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.