AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas!

Found out last week that I'm getting about 3x more on my tax refund than what I expected! That means I get to buy a new TV for my man room a.k.a. the bedroom lol!

Here's the major problem; I've spent hours reading posts in here about various sets, LCD, and Plasma. There is just way too many options out there for me to research all of them. I'm currently laid up with pneumonia, so I can't really get out there to start physically looking at the moment either (yes, it royally sucks!)

So right now, I'm looking for some recommendations. This is the ballpark of what I'm looking for, and what it's going to be used for.

Uses: Primarily PS3/Xbox 360 gaming, the occasional blu ray in the mix. Those of you with little little ones know it's damned near impossible to get a couple hours in for some movie time of your own!

Size: I'd like to go between 40" to 46". Would possibly go down to a 37" if it was just a great set.

Budget: I don't really have one this time around and it's wife approved! I don't want to spend a huge amount, but if the set has got it, it's got it, and I'll buy it! Ya follow me on that?

Sound Quality: For some, this is a huge put off, but not for me. The current deals on some of the Energy take speakers was too good to turn down, and I'll be pumping juice to them from a newer Onkyo Receiver, just haven't picked one out yet! So all sound will be through the receiver!

Brands: That doesn't matter much either. If they got the good stuff, they got the good stuff. I don't care name is molded into the bezel. Even if it's an Insignia from BB. Which frito is going to tell me to take a dump on it, roll it down a hill, then blow it up! LOL, sorry frito, you just really don't like them tvs.

That's really about it. I'm looking for a dam solid LCD for HD gaming between 40" 2 46".

Some brands and model #'s to research while I'm still relearning how to breathe again would be great! .

Oh yeah, I'll be sure and post pictures once I get it all together so everyone can see it!

Brent

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, not to mention your viewing distance...

While Frito describes the problem of input lag on LCD and plasma freed out better in general on this point, someone may want a LCD / LED I do not see much problem because the input lag exists in cold numbers, a in a test lab or in front of a CRT monitor, but not all users are called to detect the input lag and some who are able to detect activating Game Mode in its LCD solve the problem and others detected even in the slightest, maybe hardcore gamers.

I have the experience of playing with the PS3 and my Samsung LCD 40A650 (2008 model), I personally do not like RPG, the GTA games, music games, fighting (mashed buttons), everything else is mine and maybe my TV have an input lag of at least 50-60 ms without Game Mode active, 95% of the games I not activate anything; just happened to me with Folklore (PS3) in this game you must extract the soul of your enemies, they are small, medium and bigger, the player must move so that sixaxis/DS3 simulate the movement you watch on screen, when the enemy I had to remove his soul moving my left and right control in the form of pendulum (clock), there I perceived a delay between my movement and what I saw on the screen, so I activated the game mode and end of history, but was generally not necessary to Game Mode, in my case.

With this, what I'm saying is that if you consider yourself a very sensitive player, perhaps you should first do tests with friends, family or shops, try activating and disabling the game mode. For beyond the resolution, the input lag on the players I think should have more weight when deciding to buy an HDTV. especially if you're a fan of music games, fighting, or if you're hooked on the shot in the head while playing online in the FPS.

So, could recommend the Sony W series, the samung B650, maybe the LG LH70 representing the upper middle range, unless you want a range above or below. HDTV 2009 in general, have more input lag than 2008 models, I am ignorant as come in that respect the models 2010, hopefully better, but with so many features being added every year, it seems that worse.

Surely there will be companions that will comment on their screens and their performance in video games, so be patient.

Grettings from Monterrey,Mexico.

·
Registered
435 Posts
From an input lag standpoint, the Sharp E77 and E67 have 1 frame of input lag in game mode (16ms...can't get much better...) and the Sharp LE46700 LED is also at the same level of input lag.

Just something else to add to the list. Picture quality does not suffer and looks great, especially playing MW2 or Bad Company 2.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be completely honest, I didn't know anything about input lag until I started reading this forum, but it would explain a lot. Currently, my viewing distance is about 2'. I primarily play at my computer desk on a Sammy T240HD monitor.

My viewing distance will change for the bigger panel though. I haven't done any measuring for the stand, because I haven't decided stand, or wall mount, but max viewing distance from the wall will be close to 8', with open floor floor between the tv and chair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my only comment is about the stand vs. wall mount --- i recently wall mounted mine, and hung it so that i view the screen with my neck arched at about 20 degrees, and what i thought were long term spinal issues have melted away. it is insanely more comfortable.

-reed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.